thread moved, help me understand

Yesterday I started a thread about the cost of coffee increasing. It was moved to the food and beverage section which is fine I guess. However, I have a hard time understand the difference between my thread and all the lumber price threads. The content of my thread was the price of a commodity and the suggestion of stocking up, not how to brew it etc.... I could understand if I put it in the used oil analysis or transmission section.

Yesterday I started a thread about the cost of coffee increasing. It was moved to the food and beverage section which is fine I guess. However, I have a hard time understand the difference between my thread and all the lumber price threads. The content of my thread was the price of a commodity and the suggestion of stocking up, not how to brew it etc.... I could understand if I put it in the used oil analysis or transmission section.
You can't eat lumber.

If it started in the food section I would never had seen it, some of those sections I have never visited.

Your thread title asked if there were any hardcore coffee drinkers here. Your content was about the impending coffee shortage. The follow up conversations were more about "hard core coffee drinking" and covered favorite blends, brewing techniques, whole beans vs. processed, yada yada yada.

Looks pretty obvious to me.

True "moral of the story": A coworker from another unit stopped by yesterday and shared a story: A 20 year old man visiting my coworker's cabin up north, got caught up in rough water kayaking too far out into Lake Michigan and drowned on July 4th.. My coworker reminded me not to worry/fret too much about the small stuff. Just saying...........

Last edited:
I’m having my last cup of coffee … it‘s a store brand test that’s about 1/3 the cost of Starbucks … not bad
That is one way …

mrlawnguy is correct

Staff felt the better sub-forum was where they moved it. End of story, nothing to see here, move along....

Really, does it matter after all ?

Do you mean the thread, titled, “Any hard core coffee drinkers?” It was about coffee. The title was about coffee. The posts were about coffee.

So, your point in this thread is that a thread about who likes coffee doesn’t belong in “Food & Beverages”?

Coffee isn’t a beverage, then?

Where would you put a thread about a beverage, given that there is a food and beverage section?

It was moved because there is a "food/cooking/beverages" section... because everyone eats, and spends a lot of money doing so.

A lumber thread can't be moved, since there isn't a "homes/apartments/dwellings" section... because everyone lives somewhere, and a home is the biggest investment that many people make during their time on this rock.

Hopefully that helps. Thanks.

I drink coffee but don't consider myself hardcore, so I didn't look at the thread. Did buy the last 3lb can of store brand at Costco the other day. They had plenty of decaf.

They could make a "Money and Commodity" sub-section as there are like eight threads in the General section that relate to money or prices of things.

They could make a "Money and Commodity" sub-section as there are like eight threads in the General section that relate to money or prices of things.
We’ve looked at the organization of forums and sub forums several times.

Here’s the issue: we already have 58 topic areas.

The preponderance of BITOG users are on mobile devices. 58 topic areas are already cumbersome to navigate on a mobile device. Just adding the electric car section increased the size and complexity of the site.

Adding a financial planning section, or commodities section, which are frequent subjects in the general and off topic, would push the size, readability, and complexity of BITOG beyond the limit of user-friendly.

And it’s an oil site. So, while the topics of financial planning, or investing, or commodities, are popular, they are actually a bit outside the site’s intended purview of lubrication. After much consideration, we’ve kept the site taxonomy the same, with a recent slight addition of an electric car sub forum.

The side effect of this conversation is that it is now clear BITOG needs a lumber subforum 🤡

Food and beverage? Pshaw...

Firearms? Who gives a crap?

Where are we expected to debate oak vs. maple around here?!
I know you’re tongue in cheek with this, but in all honesty, firearms require lubrication, and so, that section is germane.

Food and beverage is off topic, so it sits in there.

If it were up to me, I would get rid of food and beverage and replace it with woodworking, which is a big hobby of mine. But I think the membership might disagree…

Back