Thoughts on Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
After running an engine with extended high temperature exposure...I decided to dump the GC 0W30 in favor of Royal Purple 5W30. What are your thoughts on RP??

I have a sample of the GC 0W30 to send into Blackstone, but wanted to wait until payday to send it off. I am curious to see what 20-30 mins of prolonged exposure to high engine temp's will do to the results??

Last time I spoke to them, they still were a Group IV basestock, with a 100% synthetic additive package, with their proprietary "Synerlec" their pride & joy.

Some people rag on their products, some swear by them... I know a manager of a nuclear power plant that uses R/P in heavy industry equipment. I don't think that's a place that would be using dodgey synthetics.
wink.gif

Since their claim to fame is extreme pressure capability, I am now doing a test to see just what might be in the oil. I took a steel plate and put 4 different oils on it and have left it outside to rust. I have Red Line , Schaeffers 9000, Royal Purple, and some old 40W oil on the plate. So far I am seeing a tad bit of rust where the Royal Purple is and none with the other oils are. I will take a picture in a few more weeks.

Quote:

Some people rag on their products, some swear by them... I know a manager of a nuclear power plant that uses R/P in heavy industry equipment. I don't think that's a place that would be using dodgey synthetics.
wink.gif

True, they have made their name in the industrial marketplace. However, that doesn't necessarily directly relate to consumer grade motor oil for the passenger car in either direction. The automotive oil has to stand on its own.

Quote:

Quote:

wink.gif

True, they have made their name in the industrial marketplace. However, that doesn't necessarily directly relate to consumer grade motor oil for the passenger car in either direction. The automotive oil has to stand on its own.

Very true, but I haven't seen any evidence, that there is any probs with their street oils. I see a lot of racers using their race oils, but again, that doesn't reflect daily drivers. I would dare say however, if you can get something right, that protects turbines in nuclear power plants, making something superior to Quaker State is a no brainer! At $7.50 a quart---let's hope!!!
cheers.gif
ooo.gif

Quote:

After running an engine with extended high temperature exposure...I decided to dump the GC 0W30 in favor of Royal Purple 5W30. What are your thoughts on RP??

I know I've mentioned this recently, but I went the opposite way a few years ago and was running RP 5w30 in my wife's Honda and then switched it over to GC 0w30. Engine wear was much lower in my UOAs with GC, especially bearing wear. RP showed about five times greater bearing wear compared to GC!!

i tried it. 10w30. fall into winter. engine felt rough and it flowed out like water. i heard it is great for short OCI's (racing purposees) but i will never use it again for everyday driving.

Well! I have 2 bad experiences directly traceable to using the RP API SL 5W20 and 5W30 oils. In my 05 Ram 5.7L V8 Hemi I saw my Cu wear metals increase from a high of 57 on M1 to 92 after 2 3k mi OCIs with RP 5W20. Switched immediately back to M1 and it dropped to 22 on a 5,433 mi OCI. On another vehicle the Pb wear jumped from high of 4 on M1 5W30 to 584 on RP 5W30 for a 5,856 OCI. Cu wear jumped from 4 to 12 in the same sample. Not sure what's going on--maybe I have a bad batch, but hardly stellar results. I'm going back to M1.

I had similar thing happen with the 20W50 in my motorcycle. After about 1000 miles the piston slap sounded like the oil had thinned way down. Switched to Red Line 20W50 and went 5000 miles and engine sounded great.

Quote from RP's site. Royal Purple motor oils are composed of a proprietary formulation of synthetic basestocks and synthetic additives containing iso-paraffinic diluents.

So does that mean that it is regular motor oil.

Quote:

Last time I spoke to them, they still were a Group IV basestock, with a 100% synthetic additive package, with their proprietary "Synerlec" their pride & joy.

I thought it was common knowledge that RP contained a large percentage of Group III basestocks for years now?
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back