Those with 150,000 miles or more, check in

I just sent a 98 Cavalier 2.2 3 speed to the junkyard with 317,000 miles. Never even had a valve cover off. My dad bought it new and used Mobil 1 5w30 for the first 100,000 miles or so. 5k intervals. Then Pennzoil High Mileage. Around 175k, back in 2009, it became mine and I ran it hard. Kept mostly synthetics in it for 7k+- intervals.

Around 250,000 miles, for fun, we hooked HPTuners to it and threw some timing at it, got rid of torque management, removed the speed limiter. Raises the redline and shift points 300 rpms. It would pass the 115mph mark on the cluster.

Never burned any oil worth mentioning. The last several years of it hanging around after it was parked because the subframe rust made it unsafe, it would always start if you breathed on the key. Even if it had been sitting for a year.

My wife's 2014 Jetta 1.8T just clicked over 150K this past weekend. Got a fresh fill of QSUD Euro 5w40 for another 6-8K run. Been a very good car since purchased new. Long since paid off and she keeps getting the itch for a new SUV.

I also did some work on my '05 Jetta, which is at 151K on the engine/transaxle. Car has a BDF VR6 and 02M swap and spent the last two years of ownership sinking money into it. Just put on a new oil filter housing and oil cooler to remedy some leaks. Drained the M1 0w40 and filled with M1 HM 10w40. Did a drain/fill on the 02M gearbox with Redline MT90. Goes to a local shop in a few days for a complete front suspension overhaul.

Got 17K to go before my '09 CC hits the magical 150 mark.

Hello, I'm new here. I drive a 2007 BMW 120d hatchback motivated by an M47 diesel engine with (the metric equivalent of) around 170000 miles on its odometer.

I'm not the original owner of the car (bought it used in late 2017), but based on the service booklet, OCI was pretty long: between 13000 and 19000 miles (usually around 14-17 months), presumably based on what the car's "condition based service" system suggested. No idea what oil was used. Since 2018, I've been feeding it Castrol Magnatec 5w40 C3 every 12 months, which has worked out to an OCI of around 10000 miles.

So, with that maintenance record in mind, what's the current condition of the car? Well, the engine is broken. Around a year ago, the head gasket stopped doing its thing properly. The cylinder head had to be replaced, but the replacement (a reconditioned used part) also developed a leak. Thus the car is currently in the shop being worked on. As far as I know, the problem is not oiling related, but I suppose anything is possible. The mechanic didn't note any abnormal wear on the cylinder walls or camshafts, nor sludge buildup. I'm blaming the 2nd law of thermodynamics and the fact that BMW is not Toyota.

I have 192,000 on my 2007 CR-V using about half a quart in 5000 (my approx oci, I change when OLM reads 50%) miles but altogether love the car. New starter, new struts are the only somewhat major things I have done.

My friend has an 08 model with over 395,000 and he does much less maintenance than me. His is drinking a quart per 1000 miles he is trying to get to 500,000 miles. We now compare notes.

My daughter is currently driving a. 99 Mercedes ML320 thats pus 275k. Bought it from original owner with 160k on it. Only major repair was transmission control plate. Always had Mobil 1 229.5 oil.
Dulles airport used to have one cab company. They had mostly Crown Vics. The drivers owned them and took good care of them. Used to see them in the oil change places. Every time I used them, I would ask the driver how many miles. It was nothing for them to have 3-4 hundred K on them. Most of them had more than one transmission. One guy told me that when they got 4-5 hundred K, they would sell theim to South America as cabs.

I have 192,000 on my 2007 CR-V using about half a quart in 5000 (my approx oci, I change when OLM reads 50%) miles but altogether love the car. New starter, new struts are the only somewhat major things I have done.

My friend has an 08 model with over 395,000 and he does much less maintenance than me. His is drinking a quart per 1000 miles he is trying to get to 500,000 miles. We now compare notes.

had a K24 04 Accord and K24 '09 CRV last 189k miles and 298k miles before seĺling both to our mechanic. That kind of oil burning is typical. Experiment with one weight heavier...0-5W30, see if that helps.

Apart from the usual maintenance stuff, the only enemies of high mileage K24 engines are rust (like brake fluid line, rusted out exhaust parts, etc.), bad roads (replacing suspension parts), and annoying little things like worn vent door actuators.

Roll K24 tide!

212k Avalanche.
Oil change today with 5 quarts of 5w 30 qsud hm an a quarter of qsud 5w 20 all I had on hand getting rid of leftovers

I have a 2003 Mazda B2300 with 185K on it. I use what ever house brand oil is on sale ( super tech, harvest king, traveller etc).
Filter is anything on sale with rock auto, Walmart etc. change oil and filter every 6 months with an average 3600 miles mixed driving in that 6 months. Uses about a half to three quarter quart of oil in that time. Has a very small seep or weep on the front main seal.

2012 Ford Fusion SE 2.5L. Close to 173k miles.
For at least the first 100k miles, was MC SB 5W20 and MC FL910-S filters exclusively. Then switched to Castrol Edge 5W30 not long after moving from WI to NC.
Has been a terrific vehicle, very few problems ever. Ah, if only Ford could still build such a vehicle.

2013 juke - 156k, uses oil
, no leaks.
2000- s2000-190k always used oil, RMS ? Leak, will address when a clutch is needed.
2001-f150 5.4l- 150k- uses oil, minor leak from heads, factory defect. Not enough to make it to the ground, don't care.

The Odyssey 2004 in sig has 203xxx miles as of now. We had since it had 80k everything original. 5w20 or 0w20 Mobil 1 mostly with fram filters. 5k to 7k intervals all its life and engine runs like new. Doesn't burn any oil.

My 2007 Sierra currently has 162k miles. Bought it used at the beginning of 2022 With 154k miles. its on the original motor and transmission. Did have to change the gasket on the oil pan due to leak but other then that no issues besides the notorious Chevy shake every once in a while. Still trying to diagnose where its coming from. Currently on Napa 5w30 with Napa gold filter.

2012 Subaru Outback, 255k miles. 5k OCIs with 5w/30 M1 for the first 100k. M1 0W/30 AFE ever since. No oil additions between changes. Finally wore out a couple of items I don't consider normal maintenance. Replaced the struts all around last year. And replaced the lower driver's seat cover a couple of years ago. Other than that, car has been perfect. Numb, but perfect. My plan has always been to replace with an EV when it gets past 300k. But it might go 400k easy.

04 Escape has 184k, leaks oil like a sieve. Liqui Moly didn't do anything and it smells worse with it. 02 Focus has 175k, put 1k on since the repair. No idea on the Festiva 230k maybe. Nowdays just run ST 10w30 in everything but the RV. Used to run PP in everything and all seem to leak, too clean or just bad engine designs? No idea.

2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L: 168,000 miles.
It has Navigation and DVD screens, 8 passenger leather seats (front seats are heated), cold AC, sunroof, etc.
It's rides like a brand new car.

No oil consumption at all. No oil leaks at all. Original engine and transmission.
I keep the VCM enabled for 24 to 27 MPG on the highway, which is great for an 8 passenger minivan.

Oil change interval = 4k with Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W-30 (HTHS = 3.2).
I only use 5W-30 after some conversations I had on BITOG with Trav (a respected mechanic on BITOG)
since he said these Honda 3.5 Liter J series VCM engines are very tough on the oil as the top of the front 3 cylinders
gets extremely hot due to VCM running only those 3 cylinders, and he had to rebuild several of them due to sludge for his customers.

He told me the same vehicle/engine is speced for 5W-30 and 5W-40 in Germany, and he recommended I go to a thick 30 grade.
I also googled HTHS wear graph, and found out you get much lower engine wear with a higher High Temperature High Shear (HTHS) rating.
I only use a thick 5W-30 anyway in all my vehicles with HTHS = 3.2 and with high levels of MOFT (Film thickness) for extra protection against engine wear. I don't have confidence in the "adequate" protection of 20 weight oils that only have a HTHS = 2.6.

Oil + Air filters: Fram Ultra Synthetic with 99%+ efficiency @ 20 microns.
Clean oil means less engine wear, as less particles get in between the hot high rpm parts that can cause wear.
I used to use Honda oil filters, but they only have 65% efficiency @ 20 microns, so I switched to Fram Ultra.

Automatic Transmission fluid drain/fills every 15,000 miles. This was recommended on the Honda Odyssey odyclub.com forum.
People who do this say they can go 300k miles on original transmission without any transmission issues at all.

I replace the PCV valve every 30k miles with genuine Honda PCV value to keep oil ventilation system clean and prevent high oil temperatures.

I only use genuine Honda parts, purchased from a brick and morter Honda Dealer online in another state that is trying to expand their
online internet sales and sell parts at close to wholesale prices. I then give them to my local mechanic to install.

My plan is to take this van to 300k miles. It still rides so smooth as silk and is so comfortable when my family goes on cross country vacations
every year. I really like the 2006 to 2007 Honda Odysseys. They are so cheap on the used car market, and I can avoid paying $50k+ for a new one. Would rather invest that money than lose it due to depreciation in a vehicle. It's also one of the safest vehicles on the road (it has very low # of deaths per million vehicle years) on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website at: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/driver-death-rates-by-make-and-model

Last edited:
There is north of 250,000 miles on mine and it is still going strong. Very similar to @4wheeldog post in #914.

Will use the Amazon Basics 0W-40 sparingly, as I got the super deal in frugality. Might top off with better oil if it uses any, unsure if it does anymore. HPL comes to mind. Car sees use of anything from a thick 0W-20 to 0W-40.

Im not the original owner and got the car I believe May 2020 if it fails, it won't be due to oil.

Driving 2 old generation Saab 9-3 turbo, the 1999 in Europe has over 250,000 miles and doesn't burn oil at all. Been using 0w-40 since the beginning. The 02 I have in the US has been burning a quart of oil 5W-40 Shell Rotella per 1000 miles. Has about 200.000 miles. Same engine as the 1999 but has low friction pistons I hear. Engine is extremely smooth, quiet and strong. doesn't leak oil, and the exhaust and cat is still original. Pass emissions like a champ in Colorado despite the oil burning. There is never any smoke coming from the exhaust either, even at full throttle.

Back