This category is like a "little shop of horrors"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: outoforder

Apple and Oranges. The issue at hand is not a maintenance schedule, but the fluids being introduced into the engine. Put what you want into your engine. For me, if additives were all that and a bag of chips, the oil companies would put them in their product to begin with.

What if they left certain additives out because they turned a universal fluid into a non-universal fluid. Thats alot of market lost just to satisfy a certain small group of end users. (amsoil SSO and 35k OCI's & Molybdenum).

How can zddp77 be trolling when this is his thread? The topic at hand is oil additives and how he doesn't like them. Some people love the. If you find a poster to be aggressive or hostile, perhaps you could try not being so sensitive. Not everyone is going to share your point of view. If that were the case, there wouldn't be a need to share ideas on a message board....

I'm with you, zddp77. I never put that stuff in my engine. My manual says no, I say no.

This is his thread? So zddp77 and zedhead are the same person?

Originally Posted By: Bigsyke

Apple and Oranges. The issue at hand is not a maintenance schedule, but the fluids being introduced into the engine. Put what you want into your engine. For me, if additives were all that and a bag of chips, the oil companies would put them in their product to begin with.

What if they left certain additives out because they turned a universal fluid into a non-universal fluid. Thats alot of market lost just to satisfy a certain small group of end users. (amsoil SSO and 35k OCI's & Molybdenum).

Interesting point. Marketing and maximizing profits is what drives a company. If a company can make a profit selling additives, then obviously they are going to sell them. This would require oil and additive companies being in cohoots with each other. But since car manufacturers explicitly state not to put additives in the engine, I am led to believe that additive companies merely found enough people to buy their product to make a product. From everything I have read on this forum, adding additives to an engine that is in fine working condition offers zero benefits. As for their use in a neglected or abused engine, there is evidence to suggest some benefits. Bottom line: Your choice, your engine, your dime, your time.

I believe most of what you say, but see some of it from a different angle.

This statement is very true: "Marketing and maximizing profits is what drives a company." So true! I think that maximizing profit is what drives oil companies to look for cheaper alternatives which might not be better alternatives. Moly reduction in many oils comes to mind, there certainly are cheaper alternatives, but are they better? Some say yes some say no.

That thinking is what keeps some of these additives in the lime light here IMO.

Quote: "Bottom line: Your choice, your engine, your dime, your time". Very true!

12.gif
Interesting angle. I like your take on it.

Last edited:
Can someone please provide me a link to a Buddhist forum?

Not being Buddhist myself I feel I should go there and make a post as to why other people shouldn't be either.

The only "additive" I would add to my car would be in fuel like MMO/Techron. That and a decarbonizing agent through the BB like water/seafoam yearly.

With E15 on the horizon I may just stock up on MMO though, bad enough the economy is in the toilet, money doesn't go as far as it used to and less mpg's means more money at the pumps.

Odd that someone with a keyboard "knows" that the crankcase only needs "the Oil of the Day".
Yet Pennzoil with all their re$earch and knowledge introduce PP with big time Cleaners added.

There must be a need for addtional cleaning. I agree with that. Pennzoil is saying basically that the new Pennzoil Ultra cleans better than what was considered acceptable in the past. Even the conventional Pennzoil oils are supposed to clean.

And Amsoil has come out with a nonsolvent engine and tranmission Flush.

Mobil says that their Mobil 1 HM motor oils clean.

There does seem to be a psuh for additional engine cleaning.

There are lots of pretty bottle buyers out here too. Just look at the new jugs of oil, pretty soon there will be a beauty contest on oil jug design going down a runway on TV, but I think it is already here. Its a thought. I like the new lavender M1 bottle myself,,,,,,,,,,,,lol

Originally Posted By: Zedhed
Man, I can't even read the posts in this section. Just trying to imagine putting some of these "compounds" in a perfectly good engine gives me the heebee geebees.

To me, it's mental equivilent to what they poured into the engines of the "Cash for Clunkers"

And those of us on the "Oil Additives" forum should care about your opinion, which you obviously put very little thought into...why??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back