This broke on my dishwasher, how to fix?

This part broke on my GE dishwasher and now the door just Falls open. Any idea on how to fix this? Links to pointers?

20230404_064029.jpg

The fraying on that wire rope tells me that there is something more going on here. The picture posted down thread shows that rope going thru a pulley wheel. That fraying shouldn’t be happening.

GE in the past used vinyl coated cables. They broke often too. Most mfgs use nylon string door cables now.
i keep couple spares for my Kitchenaid.
Easy to replace cables.

Lasts just long enough to get through the warranty period.
;)
Seems like an optimized design from a manufacturers perspective. It let's them sell more service parts and doesn't impact their cost. Probably not a popular opinion but accurate of many manufacturers non-the-less.

Just my $0.02

Seems like an optimized design from a manufacturers perspective. It let's them sell more service parts and doesn't impact their cost. Probably not a popular opinion but accurate of many
I'd say they probably improve thier costs, by supplying parts with a reduced life expectancy.

the snubbers used by Kenmore on m dishwasher door.
I have a Whirlpool that had one snubber fail after several years. The door receives heavy usage because I'm one of the OCD types, that's constantly rearranging the contents to maximize spray arm coverage. It has been a good machine at $499, it does an average of 150 loads per year, without any problems.

That's an old school engineering and a simple approach. Amazing that they used a spring and rope.

One of the easiest repairs, with the simplest of designs. Our Kenmore has had them replaced by me, and at 20 years old is still doing a good job.

Back