thinning out grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found out Amsoil Polymeric offroad grease works great for my firearms, the problem is a #0 thickness would work better.
Can I thin out some of the #1 stuff by mixing it with BreakFree CLP or some other thin oil, without affecting (effecting?) the greases lubrication and EP/AW properties?

Originally Posted By: gofastman
I found out Amsoil Polymeric offroad grease works great for my firearms, the problem is a #0 thickness would work better.
Can I thin out some of the #1 stuff by mixing it with BreakFree CLP or some other thin oil, without affecting (effecting?) the greases lubrication and EP/AW properties?

Amsoil Polymeric offroad grease is REALLY thick and stiff!! I hope you are only using it on your slide. I've tried it, and it's just too thick. You can thin it, but it will mess with the properties - just buy a can of Amsoil spray grease. It works really great and easy to apply.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Amsoil Polymeric offroad grease is REALLY thick and stiff!! I hope you are only using it on your slide. I've tried it, and it's just too thick. You can thin it, but it will mess with the properties - just buy a can of Amsoil spray grease. It works really great and easy to apply.

Really?
confused.gif
I think the #1 stuff is pretty soft, it's ALMOST perfect for this application. It's certainly less stiff and sticky than Schaeffer's 221.
It also doesn't stink which is a big selling point for me,
Schaeffers really stinks, the Amsoil multipurpose stuff stinks less, but is still a bit offensive, I ASSume the spray grease smells a bit too.

Last edited:
Well #1 isn't so bad compared to the offroad #2! But still....seems a might heavy for slides, I can see why you want to thin it.

Anyway, spray grease has little to no odor. I sprays out through the applicator tube then the carrier evaporates off. My gripe about the spray grease is that it's red. Good in a way, easy to see where you over applied and wipe off, but I got some on one of my white 1911 100 year celebration T-shirts.....and it won't wash out.

Anyway you are a smart guy for using AW/EP grease in your slide(s). You and I will have no galling!

try permatex ultra slick engine assembly lube, item 81950, advance parts has it, it is not as thick as reg grease. and it has zinc

Originally Posted By: morris
try permatex ultra slick engine assembly lube, item 81950, advance parts has it, it is not as thick as reg grease. and it has zinc

that runny red goo? no thanks...

I have used mobil one syn with success, I just dont like how you get a little "bleed off" of the oil from the thickener. Runs really smooth on slides and bolts...

I wouldn't use such a thick grease without thinning it out first with some good, light oil (like CLP) on a firearm. You won't have any problems doing that.

If it were me, I'd use a gun lube, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back