Thinnest x-30 for long trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a 2,500 mile trip, you'd never recoup any savings .
You'd lose.
Why not make this only one of your considerations in an oil choice?

DO you have synthetic in the transmission and the rear end? If not with thouse RPM's and the amount of wind you are pushing nothing you drop in the crank case is going to show much change. If you want to go thin M1 0W30 Green is some thin stuff. If you decide to go dino why bother with a multi grade if you are going to change it out before winter any ways? Try a nice solid SAE 30 like Valvolene or Pennzoil etc.....Just make sure it is a name brand SAE 30.I think you would be suprised by how well a single weight oil would work for a trip like this!

I have Mobil1 Universal ATF in the transmission and Amsoil 75w-110 in the rear differential. I'd love to run a straight 30 weight, but they're so hard to find.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
92saturns12 - Most parasitic gains in fuel economy related to lubricant viscosity relate to - cold start, short run/idle, stop - type driving

Other factors such as vehicle condition, tyre pressures, angle/velocity of the wind, road surface, speed and etc - and the Driver's right foot have a far greater influence that the lubricant's viscosity
Good points indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back