**Thinnest** 5w-20 oil? Which brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MC, Valvoline, Havoline DS, or any other for that matter. I want to do an experiment with gas mileage and would like to see who's is the absolute thinnest.

i doubt you would tell a difference between any of them. pick a favorite and you are set.
i use 5w20 penzoil platinum in my 07 tundra 5.7 v8.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
From what I've read, Petro Canada 5W-20 may be the thinnest.

Nope, it specs out at 8.6 cst at 100c, so it's not the thinnest.

Formula Shell 5w20 is a lot thinner, it's 8.16 cst at 100c according to the PDS. That's one of the thinnest commonly available oils out there. I recall one of the "boutique" synthetics was under 8 though, but I can't remember which one. It wasn't a commonly seen oil though, that much I do remember.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Havoline Deposit Shield.

Got some numbers???

================

Thanks Patman

On 2nd thought, what I read about Petro Canada 5W-20 may have been the lowest cold temp ratings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Patman
Formula Shell 5w20 is a lot thinner, it's 8.16 cst at 100c according to the PDS. That's one of the thinnest commonly available oils out there. I recall one of the "boutique" synthetics was under 8 though, but I can't remember which one. It wasn't a commonly seen oil though, that much I do remember.

Patman,

Is this the same 5w-20 CDN Tire sells as their Formula 1 synthetic? Off topic, what does Mobil 0w-20 spec out at?

Originally Posted By: Yuk

Patman,

Is this the same 5w-20 CDN Tire sells as their Formula 1 synthetic?

I'm not sure about their synthetic, but their Formula 1 conventional oil is supposedly Formula Shell.

Originally Posted By: Yuk

Off topic, what does Mobil 0w-20 spec out at?

Unknown at this time. Mobil have not released PDS for current formulation yet.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
MC, Valvoline, Havoline DS, or any other for that matter. I want to do an experiment with gas mileage and would like to see who's is the absolute thinnest.

Don't mislead yourself. Use what is specified / approved by the OEM for the vehicle.

Many threads show that there is little to be gained in going from a 5w-20 and 5w-30 in terms of mpg gain due to the oil grade. So what is to be gained in going to the thinnest 5w-20 other than occupation of your passion and precious time IMHO.

Poor service / maintenance, low tire pressure, excess use of air conditioner, over weighted lead foot with a spirited driving style etc has greater impact.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ProfPS
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Havoline Deposit Shield.

Got some numbers???

Havoline DS is 8.0 cSt @ 100°C

Are you referring to Havoline conventional oil?

http://themotoroilevaluator.com

This webpage contains the tables I use which are quite detailed. You will need a login to view all the information neatly. You can also filter on According to the 5W20 table, Redline Racing is the thinnest, which surprised me a bit. They probably load it up with additives to compensate. Or else the diester they've been known to use works even at low viscosities. My engine calls for 5W30, and I would never change to 5W20 or 5W40 on a whim. My best gas mileage ever was with Mobil 1 5W30 (seven points higher than the EPA highway MPG given for my engine). My engine also likes to burn this oil fast, I would get a big cloud upon startup in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back