thinking of going a full year on.....

Royal Purple 5W-30 synthetic in a 2008 F 150 5.4L V8 …..did the oil last Sept. 17th 2019 @ 76,100 miles

engine now has 79,500 on odometer and an RP oil filter …..

would you ?

cheers3.gif

What you only have a little over four mouths to go. No problem in fact if I only drove that little I'd do that on an under $20 full synthetic.

Looks like you are doing less than 6000 miles per year. In that case I think you would be OK with a once a year change.

Originally Posted by phillyFX4
would you ?

I would, and I do, every year, once a year, on the Q5 and on the 530i. The only exception is my Charger as it is still under warranty and I don't want to mess with it.

Actually, in the 530i I will most likely be going longer than a year this time due to the current situation.

A. Yes
B. Certainly
C. Absolutely
D. All the Above

Answer is "D"
ðŸ‘ðŸ‘...ƒ

its not the miles but how far you drive. a vehicle that sets undriven only needs a battery maintainer but lo miles from short trips is SEVERE use!!

Originally Posted by Jimkobb
Looks like you are doing less than 6000 miles per year. In that case I think you would be OK with a once a year change.

Better thank OK. OK could stretch out to 18 months. On a 2008 F150 with this much I would go with whatever PCMO is on sale and change every year or so.

Still waiting to hear from the "the manufacturer states to change the oil after xx,xxx miles or after 6 months, which ever comes first" crowd that your engine will not last if you go over 6 months no matter how few the miles.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Still waiting to hear from the "the manufacturer states to change the oil after xx,xxx miles or after 6 months, which ever comes first" crowd that your engine will not last if you go over 6 months no matter how few the miles.

Well the engine has only lasted 12 years. So if it dies before 25 years it's because of yearly OCI's.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Why are you asking? No valid source of info has ever suggested you shouldn't be able to.

just checked my record keeping and I've changed my oil 23 times since I bought it new late '07

that's an average of every 3500 miles

it see's mostly city driving(75%)

the engine has only seen full synthetic since new.....just wanted reassurance from guys a lot more knowledgeable than me
beer3.gif

Last edited:
I say go for it.

Been doing yearly (or more) oil changes with QSUD on my Chevy 2500HD - currently at 50% OLM and it's been a year since I changed it last.
Going down to 30% and then will change it. No ill effects .

Originally Posted by phillyFX4
Royal Purple 5W-30 synthetic in a 2008 F 150 5.4L V8 …..did the oil last Sept. 17th 2019 @ 76,100 miles

engine now has 79,500 on odometer and an RP oil filter …..

would you ?

cheers3.gif

What is your OLM at? Just curious. I went a year for the first time in my Lucerne and at 2500 miles the OLM was at 41%.

I wouldn't. I also wouldn't go by any OLM that was installed by the auto manufacturer. They want to sell cars.

I'd change it at 6 months with a less expensive brand name full synthetic.

That being said, I take an extreme position on having fresh oil. I believe in my cars the leaks I am now having to
repair are due to my 5-10K OCI's. The mess in my driveway. The smell of burnt oil. Ok, I may be wrong and I can't
prove my guts.

If were you, I'd go for the yearly changes. But for kicks, you could see what the owner's manual says.
21.gif

Back