full Synthetic and sludge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
on another board and I posted my 2008 F 150 FX4 SuperCab had 76,000 miles and explained it was because I worked close to home .

One poster said he wouldn't consider buying it because I probably have a sludge problem in the engine because it rarely gets hot going to and from work.....

Is this a possibility using full synthetic(Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple) all the way back to my first oil change ?

I say no way .

Highly unlikely. How long is your commute to work? I'm 7 miles. Winter time is rough....I see you live very close to where I live. I'm 10-15 minutes from Philly on the NJ side.

How long is your drive (mileage and time)? The biggest factor is if your oil gets up to the 205-215* range to help boil off any condensation. But no, it's not likely you've got a sludge problem.

For starters, all engines are susceptible to sludge. That said unless you have a sludge monster (some engines are more prone to sludging up), most modern SN/GF5 oils do a pretty good job of keeping sludge to a minimum. Some lubes do do a better job when subjected to industry tests but they all need to meet a minimum performance level. It's really only problematic when the detergents and dispersants deplete.

What's the typical oci? Do you change the filter at every oci? If you're selling it, you might consider if it's worth popping a valve cover and snapping some pics.

Last edited:
You are selling you truck with so few miles? Thta's a great truck and a great year, newer vehicles are just littered with tech that will harm longevity. You might want to rethink selling it if that's what you are doing. It's the internet, nothing take serious these joker posters. Some people have zero to add to a conversation but run around and troll for drama, look at every word and just try and throw shade because they are literally sad and miserable. You have to look in the mirror and ask why you even wasted an ounce on this drama troll fools notion of your truck, LOL.

Your truck's engine is always shedding off moisture even on short trips that don't reach 212f, it just doesn't less then if it was 212f, but it still does it. Let miserable people be miserable, don't let their misery infect you, they live sad miserable lives and are only happy when they can get someone to bite on their troll food. So don't give this troll that info, let that miserable troll keep carrying on as if he knows what he is talking about. When selling a truck, never hand out any info on the truck, just that it is great. Don't give anyone an excuse to walk away from a sale. And if you want to invest 28 bucks you can do a uoa after a long trip that will show the potentional buyer there is no moisture and great wear numbers. No need for tbn in that case. Good luck, but I say keep the truck unless there is some reason to sell. gl

Originally Posted by phillyFX4
on another board and I posted my 2008 F 150 FX4 SuperCab had 76,000 miles and explained it was because I worked close to home .

One poster said he wouldn't consider buying it because I probably have a sludge problem in the engine because it rarely gets hot going to and from work.....

Is this a possibility using full synthetic(Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple) all the way back to my first oil change ?

I say no way .

No it's not possible especially if you've been changing it at least every year.

That's the risk you run when you sell something on an open forum. Your best bet is going to be to ignore him. Just state in your original text you have the service records and will be happy to show them to potential buyers. Hopefully you have service records to show. Engaging him in debate or trying to educate him is a fools errand when trying to sell something to a potential hostile buyer, or annoying tire kicker.

Last edited:
That is a normal trick, he is trying to drive the price down.

A while back, I sell a car and put an Ad (internet was not as popular).
Somebody called me and start arguing with me that basically accused me of fiddling with the mileage of the car.
I hanged up on him. I just told him, if you don't believe me why do you even call and argue. Weird phone call.
The car was sold easily to somebody who are interested.
Moral of the story, people will have opinion on anything.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
So, some people here think synthetic oil is immune to condensation and combustion byproducts; interesting.

Absolutely right !!!

It doesn't matter if synthetic or not, if one doesn't reach the temp necessary and run at it for at least 10 min condensation will not be burned off and could become sludge depending on OCI.

Is it a white sludge on the oil cap? The triton engines are pretty prone to that if they are short tripped. It has no bearing on anything other than the oil cap.

So, some people here think synthetic oil is immune to condensation and combustion byproducts; interesting.

No, some people know that synthetic doesn't oxidize as easily as conventional and maintenance habits have a huge impact on whether or not there's sludge in the engine.

I don't see anyone saying that...

Admittedly the OP provides no details about his oci's or preferred filters but unless he has a problem with fuel in the oil, which I'd think he'd know by smell, and/or contaminants issue (no real way to know for sure but if he's using quality filters than I'd be surprised if he had a problem given the young age of the truck), than it's unlikely that he'd have a "problem" with sludge.

A little more info from the OP would allow me to have more confidence in my answer, in re to him having a sludge monster.

Last edited:
sorry been out most of the day …..change oil every 6 months or 3000 miles, which ever comes first.....I do my own oil changes and tire rotations, shocks, just the simple stuff in my driveway.

the 08' has had the starter, alternator, gear shift handle inside, radiator and front coil springs(common on 04 - 08 F 150's), shocks replaced.....also the large radiator hoses, I've had it since new.(late 2007)

I suspected the guy shot off his mouth too quick when he said that "sludge" caused all the problems I just stated above.....figure that one out :)

He said he'd never buy a car/truck that was driven those miles everyday ?? …..hey, we all make our own choices.

BTW, I'm not selling, engine and tranny have been just fine the whole way
coffee2.gif

Gonna wait for the new Bronco's if they ever get built
cheers3.gif

thanks for the opinions

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I don't see anyone saying that...

Me either.

sorry been out most of the day …..change oil every 6 months or 3000 miles, which ever comes first.....I do my own oil changes and tire rotations, shocks, just the simple stuff in my driveway.

the 08' has had the starter, alternator, gear shift handle inside, radiator and front coil springs(common on 04 - 08 F 150's), shocks replaced.....also the large radiator hoses, I've had it since new.(late 2007)

I suspected the guy shot off his mouth too quick when he said that "sludge" caused all the problems I just stated above.....figure that one out :)

He said he'd never buy a car/truck that was driven those miles everyday ?? …..hey, we all make our own choices.

BTW, I'm not selling, engine and tranny have been just fine the whole way
coffee2.gif

Gonna wait for the new Bronco's if they ever get built
cheers3.gif

thanks for the opinions

yeah, I'm gonna go get a 1994-6 and rebuilt it, nothing like those bronco's. But I'm not sure on the new ones, they will be di turbo.

.change oil every 6 months or 3000 miles, which ever comes first.....I do my own oil changes and tire rotations, shocks, just the simple stuff in my driveway.

I would bet that engine is spotless. Ignore that rump swab.

Our Jeep wrangler 4.0 in winter 1/4 mile to work 1/4 mile home. Once a week a 50 mile trip. (Interstate) .
Change oil every spring and fall. Looking inside valve cover engine is still clean. 162,000 miles. Agree with everyone who said not to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back