Thinking of a 2008 BMW Z4M

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love convertibles here in sunny South Florida. And, I love performance cars. Sometimes the two don't mix, sometimes they do. I certainly can't afford a new convertible sports car, like a Camaro SS or Mustang GT. Not to mention an exotic like BMW or Porsche.

However, the Z4M's seem to be selling for the low 20's with modest miles (about 50-60K miles) and about 28K with low miles.

I drove one 2 years ago, and it seemed doggy, so I did not purchase it. Come to find out (yes, I'm as dumb as a box of rocks sometimes) it was not in sport mode and is known to be sluggish in normal mode.

Drove an M3 convertible in sport mode, last week and loved it. What a willing and fun little engine. The Z4M is much the same car, but smaller and lighter. The Z4M should be very fun in sport mode. They can do similar lap times to the C6 Corvette LS3's. Even though they are just a bit down on straightaway power on the track. But are a nearly a full second and 10MPH down at the 1/4 mile track.

Any thoughts on the car?

I do read about connecting rod bearing failures and Vanos cam phaser bolt and solenoid failures.

They're awesome cars. You will definitely like it.

The engine it uses did have issues when it was first introduced in the M3 several years prior, but that was quickly remedied by the time it made its way to the Z4M. You shouldn't worry about it.

I would certainly consider BMW Extended Vehicle Protection (if it's still under factory warranty), or perhaps an aftermarket warranty. Definitely get the car's full maintenance history and check it out very thoroughly. Maybe even pay for a pre-purchase inspection.

PM me if you want the dealer where I got my BMW EVP: they sell them at very competitive rates.

BTW, the E46 M3 is a God-tier vehicle. If you want something very sporty but still need some degree of practicality, the M3 is nearly perfect. Definitely go and drive one again.

One of the guys I sail with has one and loves it. He never cries so I'm guessing it doesn't break often.

My next car will almost certainly be either a CPO Cayman S or Z4 M Coupe(need a tin top for CCA HPDEs). The Z4 M is hard to fault in my opinion.

So, at the moment, the choice is between:

1) Z4M
2) M3
3) 2008+ later, C6 vette Z51 or convertible version ( 'vert prob out of my price range)
4) 370Z convertible only (not enamored with them, but would consider)

The Z4M seems to be the most fun and that scores high marks with me. I no longer race anybody. I simply want something fun to drive. MX costs, bearing issues, and so on worry me.

The C6 is at $5K to $15K more expensive, but cheaper to insure, repair, modify, and own. I don't really find the C6 fun to drive, as I feel it's a bit numb and heavy feeling. Although, very capable indeed.

The 370Z convertible is a bit of a let down to my "high strung nature".

The M3 is fun too, but suffers the same BMW "risks".

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
2008-2009 Honda S2000 CR ?

There's no real reason to get the CR over a regular S2000 unless you will be at the track all the time. And even then, the "base" S2000 is immensely capable.

As for BMW reliability, I don't think it's really any better or worse than other European marques. If you can get the car's repair history, and it hasn't been problematic thus far, it should continue to be pretty solid. My M3 has 51k on the clock and has literally NEVER had anything break.

Originally Posted By: dparm

As for BMW reliability, I don't think it's really any better or worse than other European marques. If you can get the car's repair history, and it hasn't been problematic thus far, it should continue to be pretty solid. My M3 has 51k on the clock and has literally NEVER had anything break.

That has been my experience as well.

I've been on the Z4m forums and it's just about scared me away from the car. It's chock a block full of problems. Many owners are changing rod bearings every 25,000 miles. The problem is not solved by any measure.

Considering that only few thousand were made worldwide, it seems that the number of problems is out of proportion to the number of cars.

Rod bearing catastrophe, rear spring breaking, Vanos bolts failing (takes out entire engine) and head gasket failures. Ugh.

I narrowly missed buying one when I bought my current car. The thing that attracted me was what you saw: The depreciation curve--low mileage well-maintained car fun to drive and an overall good bang for the buck, especially for a low mileage driver such as myself

So long as you have either a short commute or another car for inclement weather you probably won't go too far wrong.

As for BMW reliability, there isn't much rhyme or reason to it. Some models are good and some are bad, and some which would seem problematical aren't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I like the Z4M. Also be sure to check out a Boxster S.

Careful on the Boxster: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/09/dutch-steps-up/#more-523761

I don't have any reference, but the rumor on internets is that IMS and RMS failures supposedly plagued water-cooled boxer engines up to year 2008 or so. The newer cars are supposedly fine. Of course, if you see an older car with a proof that it had IMS bearing replaced or the whole engine, maybe it could be considered too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
2008-2009 Honda S2000 CR ?

There's no real reason to get the CR over a regular S2000 unless you will be at the track all the time. And even then, the "base" S2000 is immensely capable.

I have to agree with this on all points.

The S2000 is immensely capable even in "base" form and with sticky tires and a more aggressive alignment it will be there with a stock CR around a track less than 2mi long (autox might be a different story).

Most BMW's I've seen at HPDE events have held up to thrashing very well. As dparm said, a service history should be a good indication of how the car is set to perform provided you keep maintaining it well.

I had the pleasure of running with two Z4M's in the advanced driver's group at an HPDE in September. Let me tell you those were the two fastest cars out with us and we even had two R8's in the group. They were insanely fast. OP, the Z4M would make an amazing track car if you're experienced enough to handle it at its potential.

Funny, least reliable car I know of at track days is actually the 370z. I know of one first-hand and have heard of others that suffer from both oil and fuel starvation. Not to mention a lightly modded S2000 will be faster than it.

If you find a clean Z4M or M3 with a great service history, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
(read this again and want to clarify the Z4M I'm referring to were not convertibles)

From what I read, the convertible is equally fast in equal, qualified hands. It's slightly less rigid, but not by much. Also, it's lighter by a few pounds and the CG is lower.

I'm probably looking at the car tomorrow. We shall see.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The C6 is at $5K to $15K more expensive, but cheaper to insure, repair, modify, and own. I don't really find the C6 fun to drive, as I feel it's a bit numb and heavy feeling. Although, very capable indeed.

As a performance machine, a Corvette is remarkable, with higher limits than many drivers are comfortable exploring. It's faster than almost everything in a straight line, is probably faster than almost everything around a corner, and is an incredible performance value.

But it's not really in the same category as the other cars you seek, and Corvettes I've driven do have a "weighty" feel to them. If you are looking for "small and flickable", the Corvette is not that. If you are looking for "astonishingly fast on most surfaces and capable of beating most everything else on a track", the Corvette IS that.

With the time I've spent doing track events I can't agree with this completely. Incredible performance value? Yes. But it's not necessarily faster than many of the usual performance suspects (particularly of German descent, M3, RS5, Z4M, R8, etc ). Heck, even one of my S2000 buddies with just coil-overs and slicks can beat almost any C6 (except a ZR1) around a track with a bone stock engine. Point is, there are other places to put one's money, still be fast, and get a superior feeling drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back