Thinking about taking the GC plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a few weeks, I've been planning on using XD-3 0w40 in my 93 Altima when I do an oil change, but just a few hours ago I got to thinking, what would I do if I need to add a bit of makeup oil? I don't want to pay 20 bucks for a jug of oil if all I need is a half-quart or whatever, and I don't think I'd be able to buy a single quart at an Esso bulk distributor. So then the little lightbulb went off in my head. I should give GC a try. It's quite easy to find around here, two Canadian Tire stores stock it, and the Walmart does too. Sure, it'll cost me about 10 bucks more for 4 quarts of the GC than XD-3, but if I can run the OCI to, say, 7000-8000 kms, then I'd probably save a bit of money by not having to change the oil so often. I like to wring my Altima's engine a bit in the gears, I just like the way it sounds at high RPM's . What do you folks think of my decision?

Why not just buy a case of 1L bottles of XD-3 from your local Esso bulk distributor? Shouldn't cost you much more than $70 for 16, and you'll avoid this problem altogether.

Or do what I do, and that is, buy a case of 4 x 4L bottles, and then fill a couple old empty bottles of Mobil-1 up with XD-3 for the toolbox in the truck of the car.

Surely keeping a few extra dollars worth of oil on-hand won't break the bank. Especially if you can afford to license a car and pay for the petrol.

As a long-time M1 user (5000-6000 km OCI with 5W30 in winter and 10W30 in summer), I was a bit hesitant in switching to German Syntec.

Thanks to Patman's outstanding UOA's on his Corvette & Civic, I've decided to stock up my garage with GCs (about 25 as of yesterday) and took the GC plunge 2 weeks ago!!
grin.gif

Pardon my subjectivity, my 2000 B16A2 revs just as happy and smooth (or even smoother than) to 8200 RPM as before. I've no hesitation in recommending GC for hign-revving engines!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back