Thinking about selling the Trans Am.

Be assured lots of folks out there will just love it. 400 hp Caprice must be a thrill to step on it in....?
LOL, yeah it is pretty good. Fat, but has plenty of grunt. Thing weighs in at 4200lbs. I had the kid out in it when he was learning to drive and he laid into and chuckled "Said Dad, that won't get old" Scared the **** out me I forgot that it could get out of its own way. So now you see why I don't want him in it by himself. We had a slight calibration after that incident a nice sit down to discuss tickets, insurance, injuries and death. I am not sure he liked it, but I hope I got through to him.

Wondered what people here thought. My son likes it but does not want it. I have owned it since 2003. Now it just sits. Has 70,000 miles on it. It does not bring me as much joy as it used to. Not sure what I would get. Probably something everyone in the house could drive. Perhaps a lightly used XTS, CTS or ATS.
Manual transmission or auto?

That is a sweet car. I would probably regret selling something like that but I tend to hang on to things for a long time. Like my 1970 Monte Carlo. I've had it for over 34 years and while I hardly ever drive it, I can't imagine ever selling it. I bought it when I was 20 years old and in college and I'm now almost 55.

I will say that I would very much miss the Mustang if I sold it because it's the most powerful vehicle I own and very fun to drive and it also sounds amazing.

If you no longer get as much enjoyment out of the Trans Am than you probably should sell it, especially for that price.

If you have the space and it isn't going to suffer from sitting, if there is even a remote chance that you might regret selling it, I'd hold onto it.

On the other hand, if you are absolutely certain you aren't going to fall back in love with it/miss it, then yeah, sell it.

I recently sold my RV because I was not using it. I didnt need the money but I hated seeing it just sit there. I would go out and wax it every couple months even though it had only been to Walmart or a trip up the highway just to keep it moving. I got more than I expected because of the current situation but watching it go up the driveway without me felt like I was loosing a friend. In hindsight I am sure I made the right decision but for some reason I still regret it.

Regrets is the right question. Not sure I’d sell it because I wanted to get a car for a fourth driver… I’d just put classic insurance on it or pull the tags and park it for a bit… then buy the kids a Corolla or civic or cobalt or something similar, assuming they’re not into cars and don’t really have a specific model they fancy.

Its a clean car, you have its history. That’s worth something. Sure there are probably other clean ones out there, but not yours. Not one you’ve had since 18k.

I get it that priorities change. Sentimental value can play into it too though. And the challenge of replacing it.

I suspect that you might regret it, or at least get sentimental and say “why did I ever sell that?“ At some point… how bad it would bother you, and if you’d get an itch for something like that, especially given how much faster even stock basic cars are compared to a few years ago might be the bigger question…

LS1 Mike, you’ll be one of those guys lamenting about how they were sorry they sold their collector car. We have several threads like that at Bitog. What can a person say? If you don't have the space to keep this thing so be it. These cars are showing up at collector car shows. You were warned. ;)

That is why I asked the question here. You all have given me some stuff to think about. All of the cars are paid for so it is not big deal to get something else. I am going to sleep on it a bit.

I wouldn't sell it unless you need the money. I sold my 1970 340 duster and 1990 trans am because my wife unrelated on you never drive them there collecting dust in the garage. I had a small business working around the clock to raise a family and she could stay home to raise the girls. Now I have the time to enjoy the cars there long gone.

Then it is for real! Lol! I hope you don't live near me. The temptation would be terrible if you decided to sell.
Funny story about that, well not super funny (you will see why) Back when I raced was friends with a guy with one arm. He lost his left arm in an accident. He had a pretty nasty automatic WS6, roll cage and ran low 11's. We were at a drive thru and the guy working the window was giving him a bad time about have an automatic car (which we all know is the right way to drag race...consistent). He showed the guy his missing arm and proceeded to do one of the best burnouts I have ever been involved in. That was the year 2000. I was 26 years old. I will be 47 next week.

Back