Thinking about selling the Trans Am.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Wondered what people here thought. My son likes it but does not want it. I have owned it since 2003. Now it just sits. Has 70,000 miles on it. It does not bring me as much joy as it used to. Not sure what I would get. Probably something everyone in the house could drive. Perhaps a lightly used XTS, CTS or ATS.

I've had that happen twice. Last was an '86 Samurai tintop I bought in 2003 and sold in 2019. It was just sitting and taking up space, we weren't taking it out at all. Thought I'd really miss it but didn't, when letting one go is by choice it's not such a big deal. And someone else enjoying it makes it easier to let go.

Wondered what people here thought.
About what? The car or selling it? Have a '99 Formula with a built motor that I bought years ago to sell, but like the shape of the body and the sound of the exhaust, so I've held on to it. As to selling it, do the need the money or the space?

Well, on the one hand, selling a performance car in the winter will bring less money. OTOH the market might be inflated for used cars.

If nobody enjoys it or wants it then it makes sense to sell/trade it. For a "performance" car it has fairly pedestrian numbers compared to the modern daily drivers, but being a worse DD with poor economy and poor visibility.

Then again, will you regret selling a relatively unique car? Think 5-10-15 years from now. Go read the forum thread about cars you regretted selling... Lots of cool cars, but not many plain ones.

Personally, I'd keep it and cherish it.

About what? The car or selling it? Have a '99 Formula with a built motor that I bought years ago to sell, but like the shape of the body and the sound of the exhaust, so I've held on to it. As to selling it, do the need the money or the space?
Selling it. I really don't need either, but I hate to see it sit and no one will drive it but me.

Selling it. I really don't need either, but I hate to see it sit and no one will drive it but me.
What's wrong with seeing it sit? (Assuming it's parked in a garage.) I haven't driven mine in probably 3 years. It's not like it depreciates. You're preserving it by not driving it. Most of these Firebirds have long rusted away from being daily driven. How else would there be low mileage classic older cars if people kept driving them?

Well, on the one hand, selling a performance car in the winter will bring less money. OTOH the market might be inflated for used cars.

If nobody enjoys it or wants it then it makes sense to sell/trade it. For a "performance" car it has fairly pedestrian numbers compared to the modern daily drivers, but being a worse DD with poor economy and poor visibility.

Then again, will you regret selling a relatively unique car? Think 5-10-15 years from now. Go read the forum thread about cars you regretted selling... Lots of cool cars, but not many plain ones.

Personally, I'd keep it and cherish it.
They are selling for 8000 to 12000 with over 100,000 to 150,000 miles on them. Stock they ran anywhere from 12.90s to 13.50s depending on year and transmission. It is cheap to run relatively speaking. In 6th gear on the highway it can pull 26 to 28 mpg. In town it is so so, but mpg is not the point of the car. I don't think I would miss it at this point. Mine runs 11's.

What's wrong with seeing it sit? (Assuming it's parked in a garage.) I haven't driven mine in probably 3 years. It's not like it depreciates. You're preserving it by not driving it. Most of these Firebirds have long rusted away from being daily driven. How else would there be low mileage classic older cars if people kept driving them?
Nothing I guess, but with four drivers in the house soon a 6th vehicle is just not something I want.

Sell the Thunderchicken and go full on Holden with the PPV.(y)

The badge is awesome.
holden.jpg

They are selling for 8000 to 12000 with over 100,000 to 150,000 miles on them. Stock they ran anywhere from 12.90s to 13.50s depending on year and transmission. It is cheap to run relatively speaking. In 6th gear on the highway it can pull 26 to 28 mpg. In town it is so so, but mpg is not the point of the car. I don't think I would miss it at this point. Mine runs 11's.

Well given your name, LS1 Mike, I assume at one point you had a affinity for it. What has changed?

Honestly it sounds like a really cool fun car, and I'm not sure why nobody in the household thinks so. Will the 10 grand you might get for it, bring anything to you that you want/need?

Wondered what people here thought. My son likes it but does not want it. I have owned it since 2003. Now it just sits. Has 70,000 miles on it. It does not bring me as much joy as it used to. Not sure what I would get. Probably something everyone in the house could drive. Perhaps a lightly used XTS, CTS or ATS.
I broke down and sold my last classic car about a year ago. It had sat in my garage for 5-6 years since all my time has been occupied with one heath issue after another which sucks. But at least the 2nd reason is a great one. Been very happy to be occupied with 3 grand kids. That is what makes my world go round these days. I do have regrets at times my Chevelle is gone. I think if you do something with the cash to occupy yourself and family there will not be much regrets missing the car. So my latest thought process has been : search and buy another classic but one a bit newer with fuel injection and low mileage so I do not have to work on it and can use it as a "daily driver car". Really been into and looking at Ford Thunderbirds from the 1984 to 1997 era. Chevy Monte Carlos from the mid 1980s to 1994 models. The Pontiac Firebird from 1982 to 1997 etc...
It takes some getting used to letting go , especially after keeping one over 15 years.

Last edited:
Well given your name, LS1 Mike, I assume at one point you had a affinity for it. What has changed?

Honestly it sounds like a really cool fun car, and I'm not sure why nobody in the household thinks so. Will the 10 grand you might get for it, bring anything to you that you want/neeneeding
I have an offer of 14500. That is part of why I am considering it. I paid 18000 for it with 18500 miles on it. Think I got my money out of it.

I broke down and sold my last classic car about a year ago. It had sat in my garage for 5-6 years since all my time has been occupied with one heath issue after another which sucks. But at least the 2nd reason is a great one. Been very happy to be occupied with 3 grand kids. That is what makes my world go round these days. I do have regrets at times my Chevelle is gone. I think if you do something with the cash to occupy yourself and family there will not be much regrets missing the car. So my latest thought process has been : search and buy another classic but one a bit newer with fuel injection and low mileage so I do not have to work on it and can use it as a "daily driver car". Really been into and looking at Ford Thunderbirds from the 1984 to 1997 era. Chevy Monte Carlos from the mid 1980s to 1994 models. The Pontiac Firebird from 1982 to 1997 etc...
It takes some getting used to especially after keeping on over 15 years.
Sammy, sort of how I feel. My priorities are very different then they were when I purchased it.

What makes yours run 11's? Stock they are ~13.5 second cars in the 1/4. (https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2000-pontiac-firebird-trans-am-ws6/) I think as a classic, most would prefer them unadulterated. But nonetheless a 70k mi example, tampered with or not, should not depreciate if garage kept. So you either need the money or space, or just trying to make conversation? If none of the above is an issue, hold onto it, the price will only go up unless it's not stored in a garage or you somehow mangled it in your quest to make it an 11 second car.

Back