Thinking about pulling the trigger on this 2011 C300 4-Matic (for a winter beater).

Rear subframe rot is common on these (2008-2014), I looked at one (2009 IIRC) for a co-worker, and it was rotten. Part alone is $1200 and backordered from Germany with no ETA as of 6 or 7 weeks ago.

Not a bad idea. My little brother said he'll help me. Just don't want to throw stupid amounts of money at it since I might flip it after winter
Benzworld.com and YouTube is your friend. When you get in deep snow remember to turn off traction control to move forward. Unless there is something terribly wrong with it, I would jump on it. Be the nicest beater on the road.

Benzworld.com and YouTube is your friend. When you get in deep snow remember to turn off traction control to move forward. Unless there is something terribly wrong with it, I would jump on it. Be the nicest beater on the road.
I just checked under the hood. There's no leaking going on. There is an SRS airbag light on and some other light bulb light on. I mean, if I can get it for under 3k with taxes, f it. I have a feeling that might not happen. Car's not in bad shape. We can probably get $5k for it at the auction. But, it's got a "bad" title so we might not get much for it at the auction. Who knows.

Seems like you got it figured out but "exceedes mechanical limits" means exactly that. Think back to the old days of 5 digit odometers that would only display 99,999 miles and the ever present question "has it rolled over" is it 75,000 or 175,000 or 275,000.

The cluster having been replaced is a different check box.

Since I am pretty sure this car will display 999,999 at least what this means in this case is that some doofus checked the wrong box. good luck fixing this ...

For a 3500.00 car, i doubt it matters much if at all.

It is remarkable how many seeming intelligent people cannot read, comprehend and properly fill out a title transfer.

Not a bad looking car... it is probably like most older high mileage luxury cars - is one major failure from being someones parts car.... might get some use out of it though...

Last edited:
Seems like you got it figured out but "exceedes mechanical limits" means exactly that. Think back to the old days of 5 digit odometers that would only display 99,999 miles and the ever present question "has it rolled over" is it 75,000 or 175,000 or 275,000.

The cluster having been replaced is a different check box.

Since I am pretty sure this car will display 999,999 at least what this means in this case is that some doofus checked the wrong box. good luck fixing this ...

For a 3500.00 car, i doubt it matters much if at all.

It is remarkable how many seeming intelligent people cannot read, comprehend and properly fill out a title transfer.

Not a bad looking car... it is probably like most older high mileage luxury cars - is one major failure from being someones parts car.... might get some use out of it though...
It seems to run well, no misfires or anything. No leaking going on under the hood. Has a year-old AGM battery. Oil is just super dark. It can also be a car I can work on. I can't work on the BMW. Too new :ROFLMAO:

Just kind of have a feeling I won't be getting it for what I hope I can. I feel like the GM might send it to the auction and will probably get more for it. But with a "bad" title and that high of miles, who knwos

I just checked under the hood. There's no leaking going on. There is an SRS airbag light on and some other light bulb light on. I mean, if I can get it for under 3k with taxes, f it. I have a feeling that might not happen. Car's not in bad shape. We can probably get $5k for it at the auction. But, it's got a "bad" title so we might not get much for it at the auction. Who knows.
SRS light will come on with any little burp in the electrical system. It can be a number of little things including a weak battery.

find an old toyota camry or corolla for $3000, put on a set of decent $500 snow tires, change out the fluids, filters, spark plugs, wiper blades, brake pads, battery any/all as needed, wash & wax it, and call it a winter… when the weather warms up you can flip it for the money that you put into it. added bonus, it will work without fail.

Also according to the car fax it has been about 65,000 miles in ~2 years seems weird especially in light of the thing we don't talk about ....
I just noticed it also. Intresting

1.jpg

The Federal Odometer Act requires a seller to disclose the vehicle's mileage on the title when ownership is transferred. Congress enacted this Act to prohibit odometer tampering and to protect consumers from mileage fraud. Under this act, sellers must disclose any issues with the vehicle's odometer. These disclosures translate into the Exceed Mechanical Limits and Not Actual Mileage titles.

The above is from the CarFax report. It means, in this case, and to me, that there was an issue of some sort with the odometer, and that the mileage shown may not be the true mileage.
OR, Carfax made a mistake and put the incorrect mileage on the report, like they did on my car. I didn't get the warning though. Just a whole lot fewer calls from extended warranty companies.

Everyone at work keeps telling me the GM won't sell the car for $500 over cost because he can get $6k for it at the auction. I doubt it. With that kind of miles and a "branded" title? The average Auction value is $5k with 130k miles. This one has 172k miles with a "branded" title.
1.jpg

OR, Carfax made a mistake and put the incorrect mileage on the report, like they did on my car. I didn't get the warning though. Just a whole lot fewer calls from extended warranty companies.

Car Fax making a mistake wont trigger that in my experience.

Also the quoted post is not entirely correct: There are 2 boxes on a Federal odometer mileage statement "exceeds" and "not actual". Exceedes has a very specific meaning. not actual covers other stuff like replacement or inoperative.

Exceedes Mechanical Limits should only mean exactly that. The mileage is more than the odometer is capable of displaying.

Everyone at work keeps telling me the GM won't sell the car for $500 over cost because he can get $6k for it at the auction. I doubt it. With that kind of miles and a "branded" title? The average Auction value is $5k with 130k miles. This one has 172k miles with a "branded" title...

IME with working at car dealers ...

Everyone might be trying to buy it themselves and the only "everyone" that matters is the one that can make the decision, if that the GM talk to him.

If you get the car, ask one of the mechanics about the cables that are used in the door handle assemblies. An acquaintance of mine had problems with his breaking. They maybe should be lubricated.

Car Fax making a mistake wont trigger that in my experience.

Also the quoted post is not entirely correct: There are 2 boxes on a Federal odometer mileage statement "exceeds" and "not actual". Exceedes has a very specific meaning. not actual covers other stuff like replacement or inoperative.

Exceedes Mechanical Limits should only mean exactly that. The mileage is more than the odometer is capable of displaying.
The cars got a 6-digit odometer. So, unless the car has a million miles (which I doubt), the DMV made a mistake.

Back