Thinking about crushing a 95 Corolla

Originally Posted by 97prizm
I'd hate to see the vehicle recycled. Many a person could use a running vehicle. Not sure how California can offer you a grand to dispose of a vehicle.

My guess, it's considered a gross polluter--which it would be, by today's standards--and it's not exactly registering real high on the mpg or safety fronts either.

Not sure how CA can afford to dole out money but they may view it as cheaper in the long run or otherwise advantageous in the scheme of things.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
You have to have a failed smog test and then apply for the program. They don't just give 1000 for any old car. They also run out of the allotted money for the program every year. Then you have to wait until the next year and apply again.

That's a different program (CARB), the one in BAAQMD will pay for any running one 96 and older. My understanding is they will keep the car at the junkyard for sale for a few weeks, and as long as someone wants to pay that $1k they can buy it from them without crushing them. IMO this seems like a win win for everyone, not wasting money and not wasting any good car.

Still, this car has a cracked windshield, one door with a different color, worn through paint, and weak AC. I don't think it would be easy to sell for $1k. It is pretty much used up and power train obsoleted by today's standard. The interior is still in pretty good shape though (good quality hard plastic, not painted, this is how cheap interior should be done).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Driz
Imagine that giving away $1000 of other peoples money for a junk car. Very telling on their part🦨

At least it's accomplishing something and giving to people instead of giving to the 1%ers

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
You have to have a failed smog test and then apply for the program. They don't just give 1000 for any old car. They also run out of the allotted money for the program every year. Then you have to wait until the next year and apply again.

Plenty of ways to make a car fail smog.

Originally Posted by supton
Not sure how CA can afford to dole out money but they may view it as cheaper in the long run or otherwise advantageous in the scheme of things.

How many things does CA dole out money for that it can't afford?

Last edited:
Crush it. Too much hassle and risk selling private party (for little to no financial benefit, in this case).

Sell it for $1,000, two months later the head gasket blows and the "wrong" buyer is now calling/hassling you non-stop for some money back. No thanks.

Originally Posted by Driz
Imagine that giving away $1000 of other peoples money for a junk car. Very telling on their part🦨

You can look at it that way. Or you can look at it as, the local counties want a cheap way to fix pollution problem, and getting rid of old polluting cars is cheaper than reducing power plant output.

This "other people's money" is from "Bay Area Air Quality Management District", not "California", and they check how long that car is registered in the local zip code.

I personally would not crush a running, usable vehicle to satisfy bureaucrats even if they were offering money over market value to do it. During the federal "Cash for Clunkers" program I owned vehicles that qualified. Rather than turning in perfectly good old cars to be destroyed I wrote my so-called "representatives" and told them in no uncertain terms to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

I really dislike states or local ordinances taking tax dollars to remove running vehicles off the street. There are Alot of hurting families that need a dependable vehicle right now. Destroying a running vehicle is extremely wasteful.

It seems a waste to crush it as someone could use it. No teenage relatives need a car? Around here I'd have no worries selling something like that on facebook with it clearly stated that $1000 is the minimum price as that's what the state will give you to scrap it.

It is crushed as I mentioned in another post. I got paid $1200, the starter is sorta wearing out, the windshield cracked, paint faded, and smog check is coming due ($70), and my insurance rate increased (asset allocation reason, I need umbrella insurance now).

My understanding is big emitters buy the emission credit from crushing an old car (big polluter) to offset their emission, not gov money paying for it.

The car looks beat up so it will likely only sell for $500 anyways, people who wants a reliable car will likely not want it, a homeless person may want it though.

Where's the funeral pics?
1621982011585.jpg

Dont mean to be rude, but people on here, and other places, always complain about how high the price of used cars has become.
Yes, this car was badly worn out, but someone with skill but not a lot of $$ could have fixed it up.
If you get rid of ‘low hanging fruit’ like this, of course everything else is more expensive! Same with what C4C did to used car prices.
So I don’t want to hear anyone complain about the price of used cars!

Dont mean to be rude, but people on here, and other places, always complain about how high the price of used cars has become.
Yes, this car was badly worn out, but someone with skill but not a lot of $$ could have fixed it up.
If you get rid of ‘low hanging fruit’ like this, of course everything else is more expensive! Same with what C4C did to used car prices.
So I don’t want to hear anyone complain about the price of used cars!
I totally understand. It took me quite a while to come to the decision of crushing it, like 6 months. It is not a decision I make lightly when it is a drivable car. I am also normally the kind of person who will post ads of free stuff give away instead of trashing things I no longer need. So yeah it is a tough decision.

I am sure other people wanting a $500 car in similar condition will be able to get it, and I'm sure those who want to pay $1200 to crush an old car will find someone's car to crush. It is all going to balance out in the end. FYI they were raising the prices and extending the years to allow more cars to be crushed, so I am sure many are really driving instead of crushing.

When the price is too low people will export those cars, instead of just leaving them at the side of the road. It happens all over the world seeing second life vehicles and they also raise the prices of local used cars.

Then you look at the cost of repair, anything serious will lead to $1000 easily, and then disqualify you from the $1200 clunker program. Cars are local market driven too, and cost of upkeep is just as big of a factor as fuel and alternatives like C4C or exports.

Back