Things I hate about my 2019 RX350

Meh, I have seen no difference. Just had a 2010 RX350 come in. I did the front brakes exactly 10K ago with aftermarket pads and rotors, checked runout during install, etc. Awful pulsation. No one has touched it but me. Had a similar issue with my wife's Accord after 7K. Some combos of brake systems, pad selection and driving conditions result in this issue.
I have a Lexus now, had a tundra before. My in-laws are on Lexus number 3. He eats with guys that have a couple of Toyotas and lexuses in their friend group. They all return to the dealership for maintenance. The overwhelming consensus is that brand family is quick to develop pulsation. With both my truck and the lex, going aftermarket pads and rotors has been the way to go. their consensus is that 30k is about what they get before the dealer has to “do something” again. I’ve certainly offered to help my in-laws, but not all their friends. Don‘t want the responsibility there.

To the question of what they do well: plush, serene, comfortable cruisers...although I've never been in the newest iteration. Generally very reliable, and build quality was excellent on our RX330 that was totaled...otherwise would possibly still be driving it today. That was a Japan built unit though, and in that generation there were some fit and finish differences between the Japan and Canada built VINs...Japanese built were superior in this department.

What they don't do well: absolutely emotionless as far as driving experience goes, and power is lackluster IMO...the 2GR is strong but the way it delivers the power makes it feel a little weaker than it is IMO.

Rotors warp because of tire rotations. The tq limiters used on pneumatic guns are trash. Ive had this hallen to a Jeep, 370z, and 2 cx5s. Its not brand specific, it's tech and tool specific.
I have done 3 out 4 tire rotations myself with a torque wrench. That said, yes, the one time the dealership did rotate the tires (the second rotation at 10K) they were significantly overtightened when I rotated the tires at 15K.

Last edited:
Considering the condition of lug studs and the inherent inaccuracies of torqueing fasteners, I highly doubt that this is a major contributor.

With that said, I still torque all lug nuts but I really don't think they are as sensitive as widely advertised.....unless there is a drastic difference from lug to lug.

I agree. Unfortunately, pads are regularly overheated if you live in an area with hilly terrain and congested traffic.
Like I said my wife drives like a grandma. No harsh stop and go traffic and really very light foot for acceleration and stopping. We've been married for 19 years today and this has never happened to any other vehicle for either of us and we've driven quite a few different vehicles.

Easy isnt always good for brakes...rust buildup. And as others have said put some good tires on it first. Tires make a HUGE difference. I remember when we bought our 2013 xc60, in 2016. I knew was gonna need tires even though they passed safety. Wife drove it and was NOT happy how it drove....rough, noisy,wandered. I told her just wait a week and be calm.Had Pirelli scorpions on it. Week later with new Michelins, was a different car .
Maybe check with dealer, might be a software update for trans? Very common any more.

Last edited:
I'd think if the wheels run evenly cool and your wife is happy let it go.
I'm not dwelling on it...just venting and really for a $55K 2-year-old vehicle with 23K easy driving miles I don't really care why any of this is happening, I shouldn't be dealing with it at all. The wheel shimmy at speed I don't really care about and let's face it I'm going to need replace the tires soon anyway but the brake pulsation is significant enough to make it feel unsafe. At 75mpg if you need to slow down quickly it is a violent pulsation that can be felt in the steering wheel and brake pedal.

It still needs the stupid fuel pump recall done and the two USB ports in the center console aren't working so I'm torn between getting the brakes done at the dealership at the same time vs my indy shop since I typically never go to the dealership for anything other than warranty work.

Reactions: Ws6
It still needs the stupid fuel pump recall done and the two USB ports in the center console aren't working so I'm torn between getting the brakes done at the dealership at the same time vs my indy shop since I typically never go to the dealership for anything other than warranty work.
Ask your dealer for goodwill assistance on resurfacing rotors under warranty. If they resurface using an on-car brake lathe the issue should go away for at least 20-30K IME. Arguably, you can say that uneven rotor wear is due to a defect and should be covered under 3/36. Lexus is pretty good about appeasing customers so there is a decent likelihood that they will take care of it for you, even if it is past the 1/12K for wear items.

Ask your dealer for goodwill assistance on resurfacing rotors under warranty. If they resurface using an on-car brake lathe the issue should go away for at least 20-30K IME. Arguably, you can say that uneven rotor wear is due to a defect and should be covered under 3/36. Lexus is pretty good about appeasing customers so there is a decent likelihood that they will take care of it for you, even if it is past the 1/12K for wear items.
Not a bad idea since it needs to go in for the recall anyway. Thanks!

Rx is at the dealership now and sure enough, the front rotors are warped even though the brake pads have plenty of life left on them. No, they did not entertain any "goodwill". They want $500 for new front rotors and pads. Said tires are borderline and are fine for warm weather but should be changed before winter which I agree with completely. Not super happy to be doing brakes and tires on a vehicle that is babied with 25K miles but I guess it could be worse.

Rx is at the dealership now and sure enough, the front rotors are warped even though the brake pads have plenty of life left on them. No, they did not entertain any "goodwill". They want $500 for new front rotors and pads. Said tires are borderline and are fine for warm weather but should be changed before winter which I agree with completely. Not super happy to be doing brakes and tires on a vehicle that is babied with 25K miles but I guess it could be worse.
Try making an argument that brake rotors (unlike pads) are not wear items and "warpage" is a defect, not a normal wear/tear issue. Explain that having rotors "fail" before the pads wearing out is unacceptable for a vehicle of this age/mileage.

not as bad as my 2021 escalade. engine is unstable and the idle is funny and the 10 speed pisses me off while the seats suck ass. so uncomfortable compared to the trucks of the early 2000's

Back