Thin to thick oil converts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: dblshock
thin works good for the women & elderly.

Dude. You drive a Civic. Throwing the "man-card" down are we? Really?...

While kinda mean, this was brilliant.
You do owe me a new keyboard, though.
Nick, how you avoid being banned or invited to a vacation is beyond me.

+1, no offense to dblshock, but was rather funny.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
thin works good for the women & elderly.

Dude. You drive a Civic. Throwing the "man-card" down are we? Really?...

While kinda mean, this was brilliant.
You do owe me a new keyboard, though.
Nick, how you avoid being banned or invited to a vacation is beyond me.

Thanks you, "all I have is three chords and the truth"...

Hah dblshock's civic might not look manly but I can assure the thin oil fans, that it's an absolute beast at oil destruction!

This thin vs thick debate will be good in 10 years after the GDI turbo fuel dilution engines have packed on some serious miles!

The real question is, would you run your GDI-T OCI to 10+ k miles on 20 grade oil?

Nope
laugh.gif

my white coupe touring is nothing to scoff at..the manly thing I'll just let go, no point in arguing that here, lol.

you'd think the 0/20 would cost less than 0/40..would make a better arguement...pay less and get less.

my white coupe touring is nothing to scoff at..the manly thing I'll just let go, no point in arguing that here, lol.

Perception and reality. Me, I've got no leg to stand on with my lowly Yaris. However, I enjoy the skill of driving too much to give two hoots. Now, if we're going down the redneck road...

Now this is manly. No worries with greasy burger wrappers or oil stained jeans.

This? Hmm...let me think. Heated leather seats and steering wheel, back-up assist camera, collision warning, blind spot info, rain sensing wipers, yada, yada, yada. Nope, don't see it but I'll let you be the judge.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
If its good enough for Dr Haas

Seriously, you'd go to a plastic surgeon for automotive advice ?

Would you come to a Mechanical Engineer for advice about hydration and health ?

(I wouldn't go to a plastic surgeon for that either)

I think in NA engines that aren't super stressed 0w-20 is a good option for the daily driver.

If you're turbo or direct injected NA that has fuel dilution issues, you better stick to 5k oci and a 5w-30 on the thicker side

Or if it is an NA engine that happens to have some timing component issues from the factory, such as Nissan 3.5L/3.7L/4.0L/5.6L engines, or Chevrolet 3.6L, then a 0w40 at the least would be the only wise option. 0w50/5w50 would definitely be what I would run, but I live in NC, so colder winter weather is not an issue for me here.

On my engines I have chosen to stay with 0w40 oils. Engines are considerably quieter than 0w20, and fuel economy has not been affected at all. Something like 5w40 definitely hits the fuel economy just a bit though. UOA results in my case show almost similar iron PPM wear between 0w20 and 0w40, but higher wear with 5w40 oil.

So there you have it. You will not lose much MPG, if any... But you will have that safety margin of higher viscosity in case of emergency.
Case on point I recently had a drain plug work itself loose while I was on the road out of state. Did I expect that to happen? No. But I had 15w50 coated on the engine internals, so engine suffered no damage running without oil, due to thicker oil film on the metal. With 0w20 I could be looking at an engine rebuild/replacement or at least new bearings.

Originally Posted By: ndfergy
Now this is manly. No worries with greasy burger wrappers or oil stained jeans.

I was painting houses one summer in my college years and my dad let me take his '76 Nova to job sites. He didn't like the idea of me being a painter, was worried about me falling off a ladder and/or being beat up by a pro painter mad about losing business, so he was was pretty liberal about negative comments concerning my summer job. The Nova was an el cheapo model with really ugly red vinyl bench seats.
I came home one evening with a good dose of paint on my pants and shirt, and he lit into me about getting paint in his car. I was in a pretty awful mood because I had been attacked by wasps while on a roof that day (no stings), so we got into it a bit. Dad was swearing while trying to get a small spot of paint off the vinyl, and I just lost my temper.
"You really care about how those vinyl seats look? This car is a piece of (feces, but starting with a c)!!!"
My dad glared at me with a wild look in his eyes and I thought he might punch me in the face...I would have deserved it. Before he stormed into the house, he screamed
"Piece of c?!?!?! Go buy a better car with your painting money if you're too good for that car!!!"
I really felt bad about what I had said and spent a while cleaning up whatever paint was in the car. Dad was fine when I eventually went inside and we didn't talk our fight, but I wish to this day that I had apologized to him for what I had said. Not very cool to complain about a free loan, even that of a '76 Nova.
I was bigger than dad by then, but I'm sure he could have decked me...he had big hands and forearms. I'm sure he learned a few things about taking people down in basic training during WWII, also.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Or if it is an NA engine that happens to have some timing component issues from the factory, such as Nissan 3.5L/3.7L/4.0L/5.6L engines, or Chevrolet 3.6L, then a 0w40 at the least would be the only wise option. 0w50/5w50 would definitely be what I would run, but I live in NC, so colder winter weather is not an issue for me here.

Are you saying that it is wiser NOT to buy Nissan or GM engines in the first place?

If its good enough for Dr Haas its good enough for me, 0W20 is fine
You have a 12 Litre sump that doesn't get warm on the way to work?

Haas does not apply

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If its good enough for Dr Haas its good enough for me, 0W20 is fine
You have a 12 Litre sump that doesn't get warm on the way to work?

Haas does not apply

How about me? In my 2007 Fusion I have logged 1 trip to Maine and 21 trips to Florida. 10K OCIs and some trips with 7500 miles when I left. Also I lot of local miles in between trips. M1 0-20AFE, 4.5 qt sump, and never added oil, in fact never drops off the full mark. Pretty Cool!

Last edited:

I think the Civic's are good looking cars, actually. Though they seem to be declining the once smitten eyes of Consumer Reports, IIRC...

You don't needs a ACEA A3 oil, unless you're bleeding gas into the sump as some UOA's have indicated, while others have normal fuel dilution. But if you're using a thicker oil to mask a problem, then get rid of the car or demand something from Honda...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back