Thin to thick oil converts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dblshock
thin works good for the women & elderly.

Dude. You drive a Civic. Throwing the "man-card" down are we? Really?...

Run 20w50 in my 305 Silverado with 230K in the summer months with triple digit heat, 30w in the winter.
cheers3.gif

I hear in Birmingham they love the governor, but in Mississippi they love 10w-30.

Mobil 1 HM is under $23 at WM, and then $10 from Mobil via rebate. Put it in all your hm cars and never look back.

SAE 20 is HTHS 2.7 or so.
SAE 30 resource conserving which is MOST Xw-30. Is HTHS 3.0-3.1

You're splitting hairs and starting wars over a speck of fly dirt.

Compare a thick 30 like M1-HM 10w-30 at HTHS 3.5 to SAE 20 and we have something to talk about

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I hear in Birmingham they love the governor, but in Mississippi they love 10w-30.

Mobil 1 HM is under $23 at WM, and then $10 from Mobil via rebate. Put it in all your hm cars and never look back.

I think it's $12 and $15 with the filter oil combo actually...

if your not burning oil by 60k on 0/20 feel fortunate.

My prius with 93k miles doesn't burn any oil yet on 5w20. I ran my sienna for a really long time on 0w20 and liked it...no oil burning with 280k miles on the clock. Truck I just switched over to 0w20 and I don't like it in there, switching back to 40wt oils for it here soon.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Just switch to sae 30/40 oil
thumbsup2.gif

Leave sae20 oily water for.....

...vehicles well in excess of 150,000 miles?

or engines with over 200K.
grin.gif

Last edited:
the exceptions might be a few Toyota engines and a once in a blue moon Ford...really? why risk it when 40W doesn't cost any more.

Last edited:
the exceptions might be a few Toyota engines and a once in a blue moon Ford...really? why risk it when 40W doesn't cost any more.

There's no more risk with 20 vs 30-40.. We know you can't show any more bad engines that were ran on 20 wt than we can with engines ran on 30 or 40 wt. Poor maintenance is the chief reason for shortened engine life, not oil wt.

Last edited:
if your not burning oil by 60k on 0/20 feel fortunate.

I feel fortunate.....Been using 0w20 for close to 150K.....and not a drop of oil burned.

Originally Posted By: tig1

There's no more risk with 20 vs 30-40... Poor maintenance is the chief reason for shortened engine life, not oil wt.

+1....totally agree with tig.....

The only engine failure I've had was with 0W-40 Mobil 1 in the sump...didn't save it from poor VAG engine design/metal compatibility or whatever. I'd probably run 5w30 in a car like a hyundai which gives you a choice but I'd trust a K24 with 0w-20 over anything european with 40wt.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
thin works good for the women & elderly.

Dude. You drive a Civic. Throwing the "man-card" down are we? Really?...

While kinda mean, this was brilliant.
You do owe me a new keyboard, though.
Nick, how you avoid being banned or invited to a vacation is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back