Thickness levels of 10W-40 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey does anyone know where I can find the numbers on how thick 10w40 oils are? I ask because I want to use a 10w or 5w-40 on my 2.4l eclipse but ive noticed the 5w-40 are all rated for use on Semis and tractors (for example Shell rotella T 5w40). Are they too thick for my engine? Are they thicker than regular 10w-40? Anyone out there using these oils on four cylinder engines?

I've used the HDEO oils in my turbo and non-turbo mazdas for years now. No complaints from me.

If you are looking for general thickness for 40W oils, then, at the homepage for http://www.bobistheoilguy.com, there is a viscosity chart which will give you general specs for different weight oils. ( http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html )

I believe it you are searching for specific viscosities for diff. manufacturers oils, than your best bet would be to look here through the VOA's of 40W oils with the first set of numbers you are looking for (i.e. 5W-, 10W) or even better than that would be to look at the manufacturer's PDS (producd data sheets) on their respective websites. You could also consider 0W-40's such as Mobil 1's some others here have liked it...but than again some don't.
21.gif

You might also browse through the UOA sections to see what kind of results others with engines like yours or similar to yours people have gotten as a general idea of how it might work for your application.

Last edited:
Hi,
as discussed by others and referred to in the links provided to you by NissanFan. His comments are sensible

You are talking about SAE40 lubricants

These must have a viscosity @ 100C of between 12.5cSt and 16.3cSt so SAE40 lubricants can rest anywhere between these two points

However at 150C some SAE40 lubricants will have a minimum HTHS viscosity of 2.9cST (0w-40, 5w-40 and 10w-40)
Some will be more viscous (thicker) and are required to have a minimum of 3.7cSt (15w-40, 20w-40, 25w-40 and SAE40 monograde)

As well, a manufacturer may exceed the HTHS minimum, so some HDEOs like Delvac 1 5w-40 and Shell's Rotella T 5w-40 have HTHS viscosities of around/above 4cSt
M1 0w-40 has a HTHS vis. of 3.6cSt so it well exceeds its rated minimum (2.9cSt) as some others will!

Regards
Doug

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
as discussed by others and referred to in the links provided to you by NissanFan. His comments are sensible

You are talking about SAE40 lubricants

These must have a viscosity @ 100C of between 12.5cSt and 16.3cSt so SAE40 lubricants can rest anywhere between these two points

However at 150C some SAE40 lubricants will have a minimum HTHS viscosity of 2.9cST (0w-40, 5w-40 and 10w-40)
Some will be more viscous (thicker) and are required to have a minimum of 3.7cSt (15w-40, 20w-40, 25w-40 and SAE40 monograde)

As well, a manufacturer may exceed the HTHS minimum, so some HDEOs like Delvac 1 5w-40 and Shell's Rotella T 5w-40 have HTHS viscosities of around/above 4cSt
M1 0w-40 has a HTHS vis. of 3.6cSt so it well exceeds its rated minimum (2.9cSt) as some others will!

Regards
Doug

Well actually centistokes are not measured in 150degrees C nor F all Centistoke measurements are recorded in 40C and 100C and Saybolts SUS are measured in F.

so the higher the HTHS, the better? Does the HTHS # effect the thickness of the oil?

I am interested in this question also because I am wanting to try redline 10w40 in my 2.4L

Last edited:
The various oil companies websites have the spec sheets available for download. One thing i've found curious about Quakerstate 10w40 is the pour point is actually lower than their 10w30.

Both Quakerstate and Pennzoil 10w40 are slightly "thinner" than other 10w40's and more cold-weather friendly.

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
so the higher the HTHS, the better? Does the HTHS # effect the thickness of the oil?

I am interested in this question also because I am wanting to try redline 10w40 in my 2.4L
Higher HTHS is good, but I suppose it could be overdone. But for off-the-shelf 40 weights, I don't think you can get too high of HTHS, so I'd go for the higher among them, all else equal.

HTHS tends to correlate strongly with thickness of the oil, particularly thickness of the base oil.

Redline has high HTHS compared to other brands. This may be due to the lack of VII in most Redline oils (for street oils, I heard only the 5w40 has any VII, and then likely not much). Not sure how much if any of the higher HTHS of Redline is inherent in the ester base oil.

An interesting thing is that Redline will tell you that you can run a grade lower with Redline than with conventional oil. So I suspect you might be better off running Redline 10w30 or 5w30 in the 2.4. Or you always could blend 50/50 between 30 and 40 weights for a borderline oil (thin 40 wt, but thick 30 wt).

xW40 is less than a mid weight oil. If you take the commonly available oils (0W20 to 40W70) then a 45W is mid range, a 40w less. 5W40 is the world's 'universal' engine oil weight. Stop worrying about 40W just try it. My 4 cyl Mazda used 25W70 for years and still as good as new at nearly 260,000kms. I'll say again as I have many times before Americans and Canadians suffer from 'viscosity phobia', why I have no idea.

xW40 is less than a mid weight oil. If you take the commonly available oils (0W20 to 40W70) then a 45W is mid range, a 40w less. 5W40 is the world's 'universal' engine oil weight. Stop worrying about 40W just try it. My 4 cyl Mazda used 25W70 for years and still as good as new at nearly 260,000kms. I'll say again as I have many times before Americans and Canadians suffer from 'viscosity phobia', why I have no idea.

Back to your question. Diesel rated oils are not heaver than non-diesel rated oil of the same viscosity. As Doug pointed out they must only fall within a given range to be say a 5w-40. Your engine may not know the difference between a thin 5w-40 and a thick 5w-40. You might want to focus on what you can buy locally for a good price and make your choice between conventional, syn-blend and synthetic. There are many choices and hardly a bad one. I've used Chevron Delo 400 diesel rated oil for 40 years in the same car with good results.

The best test is to buy a gallon of Rotella T and give it a try. You won't hurt anything and it's the best way to see if your engine likes it. My guess is you will like it.

Last edited:
Wow! ok, lots of good advice. I'm gonna go ahead and try the rotella t 5w40. It's $16/gal at walmart so it will be a good price for a full synthetic oil change. Thanks to all. It was nice to get a reply from "down under" too.

10.gif

Here in europe the most popular oil hands down is 5w40. Don't know why but it is almost difficult to find 5w30 oil.

That's Sweden only... Here it's 5W-30 or 5W-40. On my trips to UK, Holland, Germany, France, Spain, Italy there is always 5W-30 at gas stations/service stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back