Thermostat setting. Do you turn yours down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally leave mine set all winter, and shut it off in the summer. People always say you will save energy, and cost, by having a programable thermostat. I understand the theory, but how can you determine if it actually saves you money? You could set it one year, and program the next and compare bills, but what if one year is colder? Maybe there is more wind, mild winter and cold summer. There are way to many variables to compare year to year. The only way I can see to determine if you are saving money is to have 2 identical homes right beside each other, with the same furnishings and number of people living in the home who have the same schedules. Have one home set the temp, and the other home program the thermostat. Do this for 1 year and compare. This is the only way to determine if one way is better, you just eliminated all the variables for 1 year.

I set mine to 19 Cel.(66 Far). It can be a bit cool if the outside is really cold but the furnace is able to maintain it and not really run for very long, a couple of minutes at a time when it dose come on. And even with a programable thermostat, when the temp dose drop to the set lower value, the furnace will still run after that to maintain that temp, and then in the morning will run for an extended period of time to warm the home up. I also close the registers closest to the thermostat, I want more area around the thermostat to warm up rather then that small area, the rest of the home feels warmer to. My monthly gas bill is about $70month average in the winter. 1541 sq/ft with a single attached garage and finished basement. The coldest room is the bedroom above the garage, but don't know of many that are not cold above the garage.

My wife and I have dogs that keep us warm at night if it's cold. They find a spot on the bed depending on the temperature. One patrols around the house and two of them always go in and out of the doggie door patroling outside. The dogs are our thermostat and they're on automatic. We're in Southern California and we don't have big extremes in weather. I have a car that I've owned for 34 years and its never seen snow. It's got no rust other than a couple of surface spots on the paint that together would not come close to covering a dime.

I'm not at home a lot so the highest my thermostat is set at is 63, i have it set lower when I'm not at home and 63 when i am home, and If i'm in my bedroom i supplement with a infrared heater and an electric blanket.

a few years ago when there was an LP shortage I had my thermostat set at 55 to 58, they could only deliver 100 gallons at a time because of the shortage and it was over 4 bucks a gallon so i was conserving as much as i could and just dealing with being cold all the time.

Since I am now retired I rarely have to leave any more and when I do for shopping, VA appointments and the like it is rarely over an hour or 2, so that is nice.We have a computer thermostat but we just leave it set at 65 in the winter and when we have below zero temps I fire up the pellet stove in the basement which takes the chill out very quickly and gives the furnace a break.

The heating season here begins sometime between the third week in October and the first week of November, when the house drops below 60F and doesn't recover during the daylight hours.
We set the thermostat at 64-65F and leave it there.
Our bedroom is substantially cooler at night, but that's what comforters are made for and we like sleeping in a cool room anyway.

I only turn it down if we're going to be away for more than a day, otherwise it stays at between 70 and 72 all the time. I don't like waking up in the middle of the night to a cold house, and my wife comes home for lunch so there is no point in turning the temp down during the day either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back