Thermostat 13 Dodge dart 2.0

When it was really cold the other day 14 degrees out I got a p0128 code, Thermostat below threshold.
Today it's 48 degrees and the car seemed to warm up and run around 176-182 while driving letting it idle it went to 205 before I shut it off and it didnt take but a few minutes to get to 205. The thermostat on these cars seems to be a pita so I'd rather not do it if I don't have to. Seems to warm up quickly and the heater gets very hot. The thermostat doesn't seem obviously bad. 🤷 What do you guys think?

I agree that the thermostat seems to be working today. Maybe it's sticking open intermittently. I'd drive it a while longer and just monitor.

Wheelman, Agree with you. I would wait before you get a more consistent code that tell us to replace it.

I have learned that with some of these diagnosis codes, it is good to clear them from the PCM and see if they come back again repeatedly. In my experience some of these codes seem to get thrown intermittantlly and with no basis for the repair needed. Others are more clear to identify and point to a bonafide issue.

Wheelman, Agree with you. I would wait before you get a more consistent code that tell us to replace it.

I have learned that with some of these diagnosis codes, it is good to clear them from the PCM and see if they come back again repeatedly. In my experience some of these codes seem to get thrown intermittantlly and with no basis for the repair needed. Others are more clear to identify and point to a bonafide issue.
Yeah I've read the darts are kinda stupid about the p0128 code to. 🤷 What does your dart typically run at?

Didn't Dodge stop making these cars because they were so troublesome, including the transmission that no amount of recalls could repair? I see more PT cruisers on the road than Dodge darts. No offense.

Didn't Dodge stop making these cars because they were so troublesome, including the transmission that no amount of recalls could repair? I see more PT cruisers on the road than Dodge darts. No offense.
The 2.0 dart was rated the most reliable domestic car in its class. The dual clutch trans was the bad transmission the manual and the 6speed auto was fine. The dart wasn't a bad car. It wasn't a perfect car but it wasn't a bad car. Not that any of this is even on topic.

The 2.0 dart was rated the most reliable domestic car in its class. The dual clutch trans was the bad transmission the manual and the 6speed auto was fine. The dart wasn't a bad car. It wasn't a perfect car but it wasn't a bad car. Not that any of this is even on topic.
I worked closely with a Chrysler dealer in the past and this is what I heard through the parts dept, I guess all it takes is one major issue and unwillingness to solve the problem to discontinue the car. Well, hopefully replacement parts are cheap and you find your solution.

I worked closely with a Chrysler dealer in the past and this is what I heard through the parts dept, I guess all it takes is one major issue and unwillingness to solve the problem to discontinue the car. Well, hopefully replacement parts are cheap and you find your solution.
The dart was rushed to production it wasn't canceled because it was garbage it was cancelled because it didn't sell.... Why would it? Most people in the small car class just want an appliance like a Corolla. The dart had character....had it's flaws to but overall a super competitive segment and the dart didn't have wide appeal it was more of a niche.

Drove the dart this morning it is 25 degrees outside and after 15 miles it did get to 165 degrees on the scan tool it got their within the first 6 miles of driving and there was a couple minutes of idling while I scrapped frost off the windows. So it got there reasonably quick but seemed to struggle getting over that point until sitting and idling. Once sitting and idling it's up to 190° currently and rising. I'm not sure if the thermostat is just opening to soon or if the cold weather makes it hard to warm up. I have owned older cars in the past that struggled warming up all the way when below freezing. Your thoughts?

65° this afternoon and the car ran at 176-182. Thermostat is a 194° does this mean it should be completely open at 194 or start to open at 194° my guess is the car is running a hair low.

It could be stuck slightly open. Mine was as the car would over-cool on long down hills on the freeway, even when 100°+ out.

20220203_173758.jpg

Changed the thermostat and the car runs right at 194-196 now. It is definitely one of the more difficult thermostats I've replaced though.

Back