"The Worst Oil Filter Ever" !??! - stupid youtube video

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTNJLEV8CG8&t

well i hate to start a new thread about this video, since i THINK it was here where i found the video. was hoping to find the thread it was posted in so i could see what you guys have to say about it. i tried searching, and i couldn't find the thread though. anyone remember the thread this video was posted in?

or maybe it was another forum, and you guys can share your opinions here.

I think many BOB IS THE OIL GUY users think they know better. I say, let the results talk for themselves.

Just a piece of mind.

I quit watching these oil filter comparisons.
Every one ends up "Fram is junk with their cardboard endcaps".
They hear or think something and have no idea what they are talking about.

The guy is certainly animated. The Fram Xtra Guard and Tough Guard are definitely no goes on my vehicles. I have used the Ultras and have no problem using them.

Don't know about "worst" , I say that because I've seem some $2.50 filters that
are made as cheap as possible, and wouldn't want one on any engine I own.

My 2¢

laugh.gif

20190101_213814.jpg

Last edited:
He complains about the end cap coming apart ... after he damaged the end cap when cutting open the can with the grinding wheel.
smirk2.gif
The on the 2nd Fram he totally mutilated the end caps "trying to cut the media out" ... give me a break. It was a total fake out IMO.

As far as the rust, who knows where he got these filters. Of all the orange cans cut open on this chat board I don't recall seeing any rusted examples.

A "reinforcing bar" on the NAPA Gold filter. LoL, that's the media pleat seam that's just still glued the end caps. Not meant to be an anti-twisting "reinforcement bar" like he demonstrates.

The louvers on the Purolator should have been checked closely. He probably doesn't even realize louver formation has been a problem on some Purolator made filters. And certainly doesn't know of the other issues with them in the past and still now.

This guy doesn't know much about oil filters. Doesn't even call out the ADBVs as nitrile or silicone. Probably doesn't even know what the ISO 4548-12 is about. He thinks the longer the media is the better it is ... umm, no it's not.

Thanks for the laughs tonight.
grin2.gif

I used to like watching these videos of hating on Fram until I opened one up at work. I did an oil change on a Kia Rio that went 8k on an orange can. The filter wasn't torn or crumbling! It probably was being bypassed at 8k, but I gotta give an applause to Fram for making these filters tougher than they look.

CarsNToys is a good Youtube channel for oil filter reviews. He doesn't come out at the end bullying cheap filters after comparing them to boutique filters lol. I even commented asking if he can review the VW/Audi 2.0T oil filter, and he did it cutting it open for everyone to see.

What's worse? Fram's cardboard endcaps or Purolator Tearolator filtering element?

Can you imagine the reaction if the YouTube expert got a Toyota or Honda filter with no endcaps?

Dissections results are primarily knee jerk reactions.

Getting standardized (SAE or ISO standards) testing to compare performance is expensive, so the average person won't do it.

Last edited:
What does this tool think twisting the media assembly proves?

It doesn't even look like a current EG as it has a nitrile ADBV...

I muted it, but the man needs to look at his weight problem rather than worry about oil filters. And why wear a hat? Tearing apart filters with hands doesn't mean much. He is getting grinding dust all over his shop the way he opens the cans. I did notice the Purolators have these giant center tubes and therefore shallower media. I would rather have deeper media.

Originally Posted by MParr
The guy is certainly animated. The Fram Xtra Guard and Tough Guard are definitely no goes on my vehicles. I have used the Ultras and have no problem using them.

The Ultra is a no go on my 6.0 LQ9. Startup rattles. It likes the paper end cap TG.

When I saw the thread headline my first thought was the toilet paper filter contraptions that were being hawked way back when.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder

Don't know where he got the orange Frams, but like I said before we have never seen any that were relatively new and stored correctly posted here with rust inside the can. He probably found 20 year old filters at a garage sale or at Good Will. And him tearing the up the 2nd one was all a stunt. A 3 year old with a box knife could cut the media out better than that.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
What does this tool think twisting the media assembly proves?

I agree ^^^^^^^^

I put a comment on that hoopty Doo video...

I mentioned that a very high majority of Fram orange cans looked quite good on here. I also made note of ripped Purolator filters... And that even Wix has had an occasional rip has well... Though I like Wix has a rule. Even mentioned I have 2 more waiting to be put on my car.

That guy is a World Champion...

Last edited:
If you read a lot of the comments in the video, he's been successful in brain washing people into thinking all Frams are bad. 99.999% of the people don't know much about oil filters ... the other 0.001% hang out here.

It's sad that most people will watch this vid and like sheep will believe it and think that Fram is the worst. Yet they will blindly use purolator products that are known to tear because they were good 20 years ago...

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
If you read a lot of the comments in the video, he's been successful in brain washing people into thinking all Frams are bad. 99.999% of the people don't know much about oil filters ... the other 0.001% hang out here.

So true. On Many forums people will denounce Fram filters even the ultra just because there Fram.

I wonder if he knows that Early automotive engines did not even use any kind of oil filtration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back