The value of using base oils that run clean

Results are impressive, but 5k-mile changes on an over-formulated full-syn 5W-40 HDEO?
What did you expect???

The guy who invented or came up with Dino+3K miles oci is laughing ... Assuming he is still alive.
We hope that he is alive and doing well.

Amazing how many people think going beyond 3k is killing your engine. All though my uncle said to me "oils so advanced now days you can go over 3k up to 3500 now"
Oil Change Evolution:
At one time, a typical change interval was 500 miles, and when that went to 1,000 miles the 500-milers were quite skeptical. Then, when Kendall came out with 2,000 mile OCIs, the 1,000-milers were skeptical and the 500-milers' heads exploded. The pattern continues to this day.

This customer lives in Canada. He has spent a significant amount of money in freight to get our oil in his 383 Stroker. The engine has 200,000 miles on it. The last 180,000 of those miles is on HPL. The oil filter is NAPA gold. I just received the pictures. I have requested the drain frequency and will post that when I get the info from the customer. The engine is in a Boss Hoss and this guy is a riding animal. He will hop on his bike and ride from Eastern Canada to Arizona or Vegas or Florida on a whim. The oil is our 5W40HD CI4plus/SL. This formula has ester but not AN. It is fair to say that the addition of AN in the current 5W40 will help but its hard to imagine an engine running much cleaner than this. The valve cover was removed and set on the bench and photographed untouched.

David

View attachment 98748View attachment 98749View attachment 98750View attachment 98751
Amazing !

The guy who invented or came up with Dino+3K miles oci is laughing ... Assuming he is still alive.
We hope that he is alive and doing well.
Depends on which Dino we are talking about.

SE 10W40?

3,000 miles would be pushing it.

SF? SG?

Oil today is vastly superior to what it was when 3,000 miles was first recommended.

Oil before that?

500 mile recommendation was probably pushing it for SA…

I wasn't. I just figured it out. Doesn't seem like anything worth one's time or money unless racing

I think when I joined bitog in 2017, I heard about Amsoil. originally was attracted to their SS 10W-30 with 4.x (low 4's) Noack but the price kept me away. I like 10W-30s in general but all other brands have a relatively low Noack as well and no extended oci for me.

I had seen Royal Purple on the shelves ... I bought a bottle of power steering fluid once and that was it. Not sure why I even bought it. Went back to Valvoline.
The dirty color (beautiful purple but not for oil imho) kept me away more than anything.

I think i recently learned or heard about HPL as well. Seen some nice and clean engine pics.

For average driver, OCI is the main enemy and the people who abuse their engines are not the one's buying fancy oils.

When in doubt, shorten your OCI.

This customer lives in Canada. He has spent a significant amount of money in freight to get our oil in his 383 Stroker. The engine has 200,000 miles on it. The last 180,000 of those miles is on HPL. The oil filter is NAPA gold. I just received the pictures. I have requested the drain frequency and will post that when I get the info from the customer. The engine is in a Boss Hoss and this guy is a riding animal. He will hop on his bike and ride from Eastern Canada to Arizona or Vegas or Florida on a whim. The oil is our 5W40HD CI4plus/SL. This formula has ester but not AN. It is fair to say that the addition of AN in the current 5W40 will help but its hard to imagine an engine running much cleaner than this. The valve cover was removed and set on the bench and photographed untouched.

David

View attachment 98748View attachment 98749View attachment 98750View attachment 98751
I wonder if the fact that those valve covers and heads living exposed to the air stream on a motorcycle contributed to less varnish formation from running much cooler than an engine under the hood of a car. I'm as shocked anyone actually rides a Boss Hog that much, I thought they were pretty much a novelty bike than a serious touring mount.

I wasn't. I just figured it out. Doesn't seem like anything worth one's time or money unless racing
This perked my interest. Take a look at these results. The first is HPL engine cleaner and the second was just an oil change with HPL on a well maintained vehicle. The sell PMCO (Domestic and Euro formulations).

Last edited:
HPL cleaner in a BMW N52 3.0 liter. Not sludged, but typical crusty buildup from BMW dealer service for 125k miles. Crusty, hard, would not wipe off with a paper towel. I wanted to see how effective the cleaner is.
After just 500 miles. No wiping or cleaning except the rubber seal ring. Won't remove the valve cover for you because it isn't leaking.
Can also report the lifter tick totally gone after 100 miles.

Start Cap.jpg
500 Miles Cap.jpg

That opens the door to a question I have: Is there any correlation between an engine's cleanliness and the wear the engine shows? IOW, can an engine be clean and yet show a lot of wear?
If someone used an oil that gave very poor engine protection due to much too low viscosity and/or lack of effective AF/AW additives, it could cause wear even if the oil is clean and changed every 1000 miles or less. That's an extreme example, but yes it's possible in an extreme case.

Last edited:
Back