The problems with GDI

gotcha. i just see people mentioning it everywhere like it's some miracle oil. does it clean better than HPL? has anyone tested them side by side?
I hear you, it's the flavor of the month. I think the cleaning comparisons they are making are the off the shelf oils. HPL can clean very well.

I think the ad on T.V. for VALVOLINE Restore and Protect claims pistons / rings and no mention of valves . PENNZOIL Ultra Platinum ( S.P.,GF-6A ) should clean just as well as the R&S . P.U.P. also has G.M Dexos1 Certification for 0w-20 , 5w-20 and 5w-30 at their site under Industry Specifications and O.E.M. Specifications ( v BELOW v ) .

Here are the VISCOSITY Details : Technical Data Sheets ( 0w-20 , 0w-40 , 5w-20 , 5w-30 , 10w-30 )

PUP will run clean but can't clean piston deposits like R&P.

R&S and P.U.P. 0w-20 for comparison . P.U.P. 0w-20 V.O.A. from 4/21/24 . These are from YouTube videos . Both look to benefit G.D.I. and D.I..

IMG_4703.JPG

P.U.P 0w-20
IMG_4705.JPG

IMG_4707.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, going by the VOA of the Restore and Protect, the 5W-20 seems more robust then the 0W-20. Magnesium, Zinc and Moly specifically.

Still not sure what's in it to allow the restore part to work. I believe the protect part.

Put some catch cans in line between the PCVs and the manifold.
I did on mine, hooked up both side to it. Filled it up in about 10000. A mishimoto unit. Gm says that they "fixed this issue with the L8T, which is another lie.

Back