The PF 52 and a 1997 GMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I have no idea why after 13 years I am posing this question, you'd think I could have found an answer by now!! The truck - a 1997 GMC Sierra, 350(R) 4x4.....My issue Oil Changes! I drove the truck off the lot in '98, 133,950 later still strong, Valvoline conventional and AC Delco PF-52's every 3,000....Ok, whats my point....From underneath I have little room to loosen the filter (no lift here fellas) Every kind of strap wrench is a loser, and there is no room for a 3/8" socket end cap...The "channel locks" kinda looking wrench is better...Sorry to be a pain, but it only took me 13 years to ask!!, I am not taking it to a Jiffy lube etc, I have done every change myself, just replaced the short shaft last week end (was a tough winter)

Am a civilian.....But we get by...Thanks all, Great site BTW....

Dave

welcome2.gif
Doc55!

Hmmm..don't take this the wrong way ..but I'm trying to factor the real question here.
55.gif

Are you asking for a shorter filter ..a better method ..or a filter that will allow you to put it off for a bit longer? You're doing some real frequent oil changes here..

Let's give you the full battery here to get the vital data:

What's your annual mileage? Your average has been about 12-13k ..but there's usually a tapering off from new to 10 years out ..

If your usage is still constant, and without some severity to the usage (constantly towing ..dusty ..whatever) then you can surely stretch that out a good bit.

I have the same truck '99 4x4 Z71 5.7(350)and i use a strap wench every time no problems,just jack up drivers side some with a bottle jack on the frame and u can get right up in there easy.

i always use a pf52.

I absolutely hate the filter location in those trucks. Total pain in the butt, especially when it's on too tight and you can't get it off by hand. You have to contort your hand and elbow in a position that your arm shouldn't bend, lol. You're right about the wrenches not fitting properly. I've managed to use a plier-style wrench but the Fram that was on it crushed under the pressure of the wrench anyways, rendering it useless.

had the same situation on the wife's 99 Tahoe. If you use a Fram or Pure One, it'll be a lot easier to remove.

On another note, I always covered the front U-joint with tin foil to avoid the used oil draining onto the joint and thinning the grease

Steve

We can assume that the shaft is in the way? It can't be that hard to drop it for the two nuts/bolts that it requires ..or is it? Seems like a hassle avoider.

i don't know what these guy's are crying about i have no issues at all with changing it out,yes the shaft(yoke) kind of...runs in the way off to the side but one can still get up there easy enough with a strap wench...

Can't help with advice on the filter, since my 2-wheel drive '97 2500 with the same engine is a piece of cake to change, but in a blatant attempt to hijack your thread, have you had any problem with coolant leaks from the lower intake manifold on that bad boy?

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Can't help with advice on the filter, since my 2-wheel drive '97 2500 with the same engine is a piece of cake to change,

yup no problems on that one,you use a PF52 on yours??

Oops, I just checked, and the answer is no. I just mistakenly assumed the 5.7 used the same filter on both C and K trucks. Looking it up, I see that isn't the case. Right now, I've got a stash of Supertech ST-5s.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
welcome2.gif
Doc55!

Hmmm..don't take this the wrong way ..but I'm trying to factor the real question here.
55.gif

Are you asking for a shorter filter ..a better method ..or a filter that will allow you to put it off for a bit longer? You're doing some real frequent oil changes here..

Let's give you the full battery here to get the vital data:

What's your annual mileage? Your average has been about 12-13k ..but there's usually a tapering off from new to 10 years out ..

If your usage is still constant, and without some severity to the usage (constantly towing ..dusty ..whatever) then you can surely stretch that out a good bit.

I am looking for a better technique...Milage...15k or so more or less per year, I use if for the usual, hauling some brush, yard wastes, trips to the dump...I have a 17 foot Fiberglass run-about we tow with it a few times a year...I live in rural Iowa and it is my lifeline getting to work in the winter (My daily driver during the season), never met a snow drift we didnt like...I do changes every 3,000 regardless.......If there were a shorter filter that is just as good as the '52 I would like to hear about it....I am just one of those "if it aint broke dont fix it" type of guys, and I am tellin ya, no leaks, no smoke, no ticks....Know what I mean?...

I will try the jack up the frame idea...But between the exhaust, frame, and suspension...I bust 3 knuckles and spend 30 minutes on it every time.....I have pulled the right front and got at it from there...But that is a flippin pain.......

Thanks folks!!

Dave

2WD take a PF1218, as does my 76 K10 4X4. The filter mount is vertical on 2WD trucks, which was the "classic" location on the 350 before Chevy switched to IFS in '88..

I've had a 98 K1500 and a 96 4WD Tahoe and haven't had any serious issues with getting the filter off. Yeah its in a bad spot but I've never needed a wrench to take off oil filters when I've been doing the changes...

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: StormRider
2WD take a PF1218

Must be a V8 thing i know the 4.3 2wd's use a 52..

A V8 2WD thing. The 4x4's have less clearance, so they have a stupid adapter screwed onto the block so the smaller filter will go on sideways.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: StormRider
2WD take a PF1218

Must be a V8 thing i know the 4.3 2wd's use a 52..

A V8 2WD thing. The 4x4's have less clearance, so they have a stupid adapter screwed onto the block so the smaller filter will go on sideways.

yep i know i have one '99 4x4 5.7
grin2.gif

The one I worked on was a '99 4X4 5.7 as well. I guess the location wouldn't have been so bad provided it wasn't grossly overtightened by the monkeys at Wal-Mart previously. It took an insane amount of effort to get that thing off. The wrench ended up crushing the can, making it even more difficult.

I completely destroyed a filter that a local oil change place put on my friends 92/93 4x4 Suburban. I tried stabbing it with a screwdriver, but it just tore the can. I asked her to buy a strap wrench, but she came back with a jaw type. It worked, after literally an hour of trying. The filter was twisted nearly all the way around by the time I got it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back