The nightmare of a K&N filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil on my 2014 Ford F-150 5.0L with 45,000 miles. I put a K&N oil filter on it. I have used K&N oil filters many times on my 2005 Corvette and have not had any problems. I would bet the rubber gasket was pinched. I like K&N oil filters but do not have to have them. I think the Fram Ultra would be just as good. The Ford 5.0 Liter holds 8 quarts and I usually change oil and filter every 5,000 miles or less. I want it to last.

There is no way to kink or pinch the gasket. It's an O ring that goes into a V groove on the cap. It was simply a few microns thinner than everything else I've used.

It was bought from Amazon so not sure if anyone would go through the trouble of finding an almost identical but thinner O ring and return a filter. The filter itself seemed to be of good quality and hadn't deformed in 7 day or 700 miles. In hindsight, I should have kept the filter and simply replaced the O ring but was not willing to take a chance with contamination.

Alfred_B said:
There is no way to kink or pinch the gasket. It's an O ring that goes into a V groove on the cap. It was simply a few microns thinner than everything else I've used.

You right about the o-ring its ring shaped and going around a cylindrical object.

No, he's not. You can pinch a filter o-ring. I have seen it. Same exact failure as a come-back at BMW. All factory parts. O-ring was pinched on install due to lack of lubrication and had a lengthwise cut.

I'm not saying it happened here because the o-ring is presumably long gone and there is no possibility of a close inspection.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
No, he's not. You can pinch a filter o-ring. I have seen it. Same exact failure as a come-back at BMW. All factory parts. O-ring was pinched on install due to lack of lubrication and had a lengthwise cut.

I'm not saying it happened here because the o-ring is presumably long gone and there is no possibility of a close inspection.

Agreed. Seen many comebacks at my Kia dealership from “the kids” getting in a hurry, rolling the o-ring, installing it dry, cutting it with a screwdriver putting it on, pinching it on installation, the list goes on. Put a human there and there can be error. The young tech usually goes to the parts department and screams “Defective filter!!!” The old guys know better. Turn the filter in for parts warranty and blame the Kia “junk”, get paid another .3 to replace it. Don’t take ownership of your mistake...

If I ever boogered a cartridge filter I just replace it and move on. Law of averages. Do hundreds and you’ll mess one up eventually. The takeaway is to check for leaks before you hit the road, whether you are a professional or a weekend warrior. Take the time to look twice. I have never had an oil change related comeback in my 18 year career.

Also I believe it would be difficult to accurately mic a rubber o-ring. Even the lightest pressure will distort the measurements. Not that it matters anymore.

Last edited:
K&N cartridge filters are quality items at a great price - made in South Korea.

I'd usually bash them along with everyone else, but there's not really anything to bash here.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Alfred_B said:

You right about the o-ring its ring shaped and going around a cylindrical object.

A micron is about .00004 inches. You aren't going to see or measure an oring to a couple microns. Try a digital caliper over the diameter lengthwise, maybe it can be read to .002 inches at best. I have some doubts the oring was sized wrong. When in doubt, measure, and there is the answer to that assumption.

Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
K&N Oil filters are known for leaking at the nut on the end. Some motorcycle race tracks won't allow them anymore.

I've had over 20 K&N oil filters on my bike. Never had one leak. Never heard of one leaking. I call bull on that.

Originally Posted By: kawie_guy
K&N Oil filters are known for leaking at the nut on the end. Some motorcycle race tracks won't allow them anymore.

I've had over 20 K&N oil filters on my bike. Never had one leak. Never heard of one leaking. I call bull on that.
They rust and crack where the nut is welded on-bad K&N oil filters have been posted here. For the money, much better filters are available.

K&N are a better filter, if flow is what you want. Not all of us here want anything near 99% efficiency at 20 microns.
I'll never buy another Ultra again. Too flow restrictive for my GM. Even hammered on startup using it.

You can buy a $1,67 Premium Guard from Rockauto and get 300K from your auto..... no problem. That's what I'm running right now and my engine doesn't stutter at sitting idle anymore and doesn't hammer, like with the Ultra.

K&Ns make my engine run smooth as silk. Better gas mileage too.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: kawie_guy

They rust and crack where the nut is welded on-bad K&N oil filters have been posted here. For the money, much better filters are available.

I cut open my last K&N filter, and was very pleased at how it was built. It was ten times better than my oem filter.
That being said, I've only run the K&N powersport line. Maybe their automotive filters aren't as good, but I love their powersport/motorcycle filters.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Pal, KN filters are marketing hype and junk. If OE wanted they'd come from the factory.

Countless hours go into the design and function of automobiles and KN isn't on the R&D payroll

I agree... I have used them before but was never a big K&N believer.

They're like countless other products-originally designed and built in the USA quality, outsourced to unknown foreign countries to make more $ for a lesser product, trading on a famous name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back