The next version of Windows: Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Story from July 20, 2007
http://news.com.com/Next+version+of+Windows+Call+it+7/2100-1016_3-6197943.html?tag=nefd.top

"Microsoft is planning to ship its next major version of Windows--known internally as version "7"--within roughly three years, CNET News.com has learned.

The company discussed Windows 7 on Thursday at a conference for its field sales force in Orlando, Fla., according to sources close to the company. "

------

Compare to this story on May 4, 2007
However, Steve Ballmer himself said "I guarantee you it won't be four or five years," Ballmer said on the launch date. Still, Microsoft is targeting a two-year timeframe for the upcoming version of the Windows platform."
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Steve-Bal...sor-53914.shtml

-----

I'm thinking Christmas 2011 for Windows Version 7 or "Vienna". Microsoft is talking 'roughly 3 years' from July 2007. The frozen code that made the Vista release was submitted in November of 2006. Given how hard it is to move a large company in a forward direction quickly, 2011 seems about right.

They would be smart to make lots of fanfare with Vista SP1. We'll see how this all plays out....

And this is one of the reasons we're not jumping to Vista at work. XP will hold out three more years easily.

It will need a Octium processor.
smile.gif

Well, Windows Vista has greatly improved appearance, functionalty, and security as compared to Windows XP, and the Service Pack for Vista will probably take care of many of the minor problems that have been found in Vista.

Windows 7 (formerly called Vienna) should take everything to an even higher level. Depending on what happens with Mac OS X and Linux, Microsoft may either completely control or almost completely control the desktop market by the time Windows 7 comes out.

I have a bad feeling that Apple may totally become a consumer electronics company and simply dump Mac OS X. There may be people in Apple right now pointing out the obvious that it would be better to serve 93% of the market rather than 6.5% of the market. But if Apple keeps Mac OS X maybe in 3 years Apple could have 10% to 15% of the market. At least in the USA where Apple is now 6.5%. The world as a whole is much more bleak.

There is almost no use even mentioning Linux when it comes to desktop computer operating systems. Even some of the companies that make Linux operating systems are concentrating on servers. Linux has gone nowhere in several years as a desktop computer operating system and will likely be nowhere three years from now. Unless the cultists can stop worshiping the Linux operating system and instead realize that an operating system is there for the applications that enable people to do things with a computer. If Linux was ever software and hardware friendly it might be a different story. Will that ever happen? Nah. The most current estimates I have been able to come up with indicate Linux as a desktop operating system is about half of 1% of all operating systems in the USA.

So that leaves Apple. Microsoft can either be about 100% of the market when Windows 7 arrives or Microsoft can be about 85%-90% of the market.

And with the arrival of new high security servers from Microsoft we may see the retirement of a very old operating system-Unix. And the retirement of all of the branches of that operating system, including Linux and BSD.

People forget now that Microsoft Windows was the operating system for the masses when Unix was the operating system of the rich and mighty. Unix mainframes used to be way beyond the means of any common person. I think the first computer my company had cost something like a million dollars. A good quality desktop Windows computer can probably do 10 times what that early computer could achieve.

I remember when I saw the actual business end of my local newspaper. They were actually putting the newspaper together using old iMacs running some Classic version of the Mac operating system. You can laugh but the computers actually constructing the daily newspaper were old Macs. The reporters of course had Windows laptops and typed up their stories using Microsoft Office and looked down their noses at the old iMacs being used to create their newspaper. That was a few years back and they may have switched to Windows computers now for all I know. Newspapers are fading technology anyway.

There are only two types of desktop computers used to produce actual work for the most part. Those two types are various Windows versions and the Mac. In the world of science they use Unix to some extent. Windows computers and Macs are application, software, and hardware friendly. You don't have to invent a driver yourself for a photo printer or a scanner. And the latest versions of Photoshop (probably used by 99% of graphics professionals) and Microsoft Office (probably used by 90% of everybody) work on Windows and Mac computers.

It is a more complex deal when it comes to servers. Linux is big for HOSTED WEB SITES. But in the fortune 500 and for mission critical work it is Windows servers and Unix. The latest Windows servers look VERY, VERY promising and according to some statisitcs Windows servers already outnumber Unix servers in real, big business.

People love to hate Microsoft but I am old enough to remember that Windows computers and Macs were the first affordable, widespread computers for ordinary people. Unix computers used to cost a fortune. Microsoft did develop computer technology for the common man. So did Apple.

It is true that businesses will be slow to go to Vista. Heck, we were still using Windows 2000 not so long ago. Businesses will make sure that their APPLICATIONS, SOFTWARE, and HARDWARE will work with Vista. Sorry Linux-where are the drivers for hardware? A computer is nothing without application, hardware, and software support. No matter how wonderful the operating system, you do not sit there and stare lovingly at the operating system unless you are a cultist. You want for the operating system to be attractive, functional, and secure but the operating system is there for the software and the hardware. Without application software and hardware support an operating system is useless.

But in a couple of years the businesses will go to Vista. And then the cycle will start all over again when Windows 7 (or whatever they wind up calling it) comes out. Businesses will wait for a while to check out the new operating system. And the rivers flow towards the sea.

Quote:

It is a more complex deal when it comes to servers. Linux is big for HOSTED WEB SITES. But in the fortune 500 and for mission critical work it is Windows servers and Unix. The latest Windows servers look VERY, VERY promising and according to some statisitcs Windows servers already outnumber Unix servers in real, big business.

But...

Many Unix implementations are moving to Linux. Not all, but very many. That includes the Oracle clusters, web apps, etc. In such organizations, Windows servers are used for user authentication and file/print serving and light duty web server use. Many businesses are "windows only" shops, so they'll be monolithic no matter how bad the solution is because "that's the way it is".

Vista is an interesting animal. I've had another request today to remove Vista and put XP on a machine. And another request to remove Office 2007 and put Office 2003 on the machine. Microsoft has a big problem: trying to MAKE the end-user base LIKE the software enough to actually USE it. I've NEVER seen this before in my 15 year career.

Usually everyone wants the new stuff and move forward. Not so nowadays. The lustre of Vista/Office2007 wears off quickly, then the end-users want XP and Office 2003 back on their machines. Microsoft has to change this somehow.

Quote:

I have a bad feeling that Apple may totally become a consumer electronics company and simply dump Mac OS X.

Mystic, I hate to say it, and you may of course post whatever you want, but your Mac rants have become redundant to the point of being comical. Instead of droning on in this repetitive manner, you may want to find some new nails that you can drive home. Alternatively, you could just use a signature line that fully expresses your dissatisfaction with Apple. I'm thinking of something along the lines of "Cetero censeo Malum delendam esse! It's based on a classic quote, it's catchy, and it just might meet your needs!
wink.gif

Okay, but you don't see them switching to Linux desktops and not necessarily to Macs, although something I have noticed is that there are a surprising number of IT people and former Windows diehards who do have a MacBook Pro laptop at home. The MacBook Pro laptop sells bigtime. Linux servers are one thing but Linux desktops are going to have limited appeal unless there is decent driver support for printers and scanners and other kinds of hardware and unless the latest versions of software like Photoshop become available for Linux.

I know of a study that was done by a Mac guy. I can't remember the website. It was a very intensive study of websites visited by home desktop computer users. Obviously there are a lot of Linux servers and they did not want to count servers in the study. You cannot get good information from the Linux websites. There was a Linux website a while back that predicted that Microsoft would be gone in about 5 years.

According to the results of this very intensive study most desktop computers were of course Windows computers, Macintosh computers were about 6.5%, and Linux desktops were about half of 1%. In the world as a whole Macs are about 2% and Linux is probably somewhat higher than in the USA-maybe 1.7% or so. Forget about Linux websites if you are trying to get accurate information.

I was excited about Linux myself at one time and even briefly ran a version of Linux. But all of that changed when I saw the state of true driver support for Linux. I do a little bit more with a computer than just explore the internet, check my email, and type up the occasional letter.

Windows XP by itself is something like 83% of all desktops, without even counting Vista or older Windows operating systems still in use.

People can switch back to Windows XP if they want but my Vista computer can run almost all of my software and hardware. I think that Vista looks better than XP and so far security for Vista has been very good. So what is not to like?

I understand the loyalty to Apple. I really do. I myself used Apple computers all the way back to 1996. I like Mac OS X although I think I liked Mac OS 9.1 better. I was very happy with Mac OS 9.1 and the world looked beautiful. Everything just worked.

But Apple fans need to take a look around at some things that are going on. How did you feel when Apple dropped the word 'Computer' from its corporate name? I don't know about you but it put a little ice in my veins.

One of the reasons I stayed with the Mac was because of security considerations. But recent news has not been very good. I think there is pretty good information that Mac OS X is not as secure as people thought and especially some Apple applications do not appear to have good security. When Apple made Safari available to Windows there were several security holes found on the FIRST DAY!

And why did Apple make a Windows version of Safari anyway? There have been Windows versions of QuickTime an iTunes for a long time. But Safari? What does it mean if additional Apple software is ported for Windows?

This world would be a better place I think if there were 3-4 different operating systems all having 25%-30% of the market. But that is not the way the world is.

Do you ever get tired of all of the silly hatred of Microsoft? Microsoft is just a corporation. For all practical purposes they control the desktop computer operating system market. People can like them or hate them but either way they are not going away anytime soon.

Microsoft NEEDS some competition. I am a little bit nervous about what direction Apple may be going. Are you? And Linux is frustrating. I get very, very tired of 'next year.'

I run both Windows XP Media Edition and Linux (the free Ubuntu version 7.04) on the same hard drive in a dual boot mode where I can run either operating system. The only issue I had as far as hardwire with Linux was an old legacy scanner that it would not recognize.

I had one heak of a time getting it working in Windows XP.

I spend much of my computer time in Linux but agree that software can be an issue. I am running the 64 bit version of Linux and Wine (which allows you to run Windows programs) does not work with it at this stage).

Problem with both Linux and Apple has been the lack of software although that is improving with Linux + more drivers are available.

I started fooling around with computers back in the pre DOS days with the Digital Equipment Systems and later had a Radio Shack TRS-80 which hooked to a TV and had no floppy or hard drives. When you booted you loaded your software from a cassette player tape or typed it in.

Microsoft got their start in part because their operating system ((DOS) was far cheaper than CPM or others. Another + is when the government started using desktop computers they went with DOS and a DOS version of Word Perfect.

Apple had one of the first Graphic Related O/S.

From what I have read Linux O/S for desktops is more prevalent overseas. Cost could be one factor?

Every O/S has their + and -. Big thing with Microsoft is the amount of available software.

SrDriver, I come from the same era of computers as you. I built several kit computers before buying my first PCjr.
grin.gif

Only slightly
offtopic.gif
Local CompUSA store is advertising a back to college laptop special with XP-Pro installed.
shocked.gif
hide.gif
theyareontome.gif

I worked with a couple of people who came from Chicago and they were Chicago Cubs fans. They wanted to see the Cubs in the World Series. I guess it has been forever since the Cubs were in the World Series. I am not a real big baseball fan so I don't know. Sometimes I watch the World Series. And I went to a Denver Rockies game and it was really good. A baseball game has to be seen at the baseball park-not on TV.

I worked with a guy who was a diehard Yankees fan. If the Yankees did not win the World Series every year he went insane. The guy was not even from New York. I don't have anything against the Yankees but they have won plenty. I was secretly happy when a couple of teams that had not been in the World Series for many decades went. If the Chicago Cubs went that would be cool.

A lot of people in this country like the underdog. Apple was the underdog and Microsoft was the every year World Series winner when it came to computers. My first computer was a Windows computer but then I went with the Apple. It was kind of cool being the rebel, the outsider with secret knowledge about a very cool operating system. The Apple was great for graphics. And I liked the Apple crowd-they were an interesting bunch of creative people. When Apple came out with new software and hardware we would all go up to Colorado Springs to attend the meetings and check everything out. I met some very interesting people.

I am seriously worried today. A lot of strange handwriting on the wall. I received my most recent MacZone catalog just a short time ago. A lot of Apple Mac people get their gear and software through MacZone and MacConnection, and of course from Apple directly and the Apple Stores. The MacZone catalog I received had only a few ads for new Mac computers. There were all kinds of ads for HP computers and some brand of Windows computer I have never heard of before, and Windows servers. I do not recall ever seeing a MacZone catalog with ads for Windows computers.

The Apple Mac crowd I used to hang out with looks like an aging crowd. I am getting up there myself. But when I looked around at those meetings there was a lot of gray hair.

I have no clue what Apple Inc plans for the future. Apple is very secret about future plans. But if the plan is to someday pull the rug out from all of those loyal customers I am not going to be there. I can run Photoshop quite well on a Windows computer.

I have a lot of memories. Some of the best memories are the creative people I have met. And also quietly at home working on my Mac, scanning with my dedicated film scanning, working on photos in Photoshop, and printing with my photo printer. I can still do those things. It will just be a Windows computer and not a Mac. But there will not be the creative group of people to hang out with.

"There is almost no use even mentioning Linux when it comes to desktop computer operating systems. Even some of the companies that make Linux operating systems are concentrating on servers. Linux has gone nowhere in several years as a desktop computer operating system and will likely be nowhere three years from now. Unless the cultists can stop worshiping the Linux operating system and instead realize that an operating system is there for the applications that enable people to do things with a computer. If Linux was ever software and hardware friendly it might be a different story. Will that ever happen? Nah. The most current estimates I have been able to come up with indicate Linux as a desktop operating system is about half of 1% of all operating systems in the USA."

I might agree with .5% in the USA and I find this surprising considering the most popular linux desktop distributions are made in the States(PClinuxOS, Sidux, Fedora, Gentoo, and Mepis). Some of the popular distributions(for desktop as well) are made overseas in countries like Germany(Suse),France(Mandriva) and Italy(Saybayon) whilst many others are developed in Brazil, Turkey, China, Japan, and Canada, etc.

I also partially agree with "cultists". There is a very small segment of the linux community that does treat linux like a religion and thinks we should do everything via text commands. Graphical- User- Interface(GUI) developement and deployment has come a long way in linux and one rarely, if ever(depending on distro and needs) needs to use text commands.

Hardware and software support is "apples and oranges". Linux can offer better general hardware support than Windows. Linux gets into trouble with manufacturers who will not develope linux drivers or release code so drivers can be made. Broadcom and Canon come to mind although Canon is improving whilst Broadcom simply refuses. Remember, Microsoft can and will exert a lot of pressure on companies to keep things proprietary. This situation is always improving with many manufacturers bucking the trend.

I recently had to install a new hard drive. Windows and linux had to be replaced. The Xp install took me hours. I needed to find drivers for most everything and some I had to download to get things back up and running.
My linux (Sidux) install took 20 minutes. Everything worked except for my Canon printer for which I needed to find an alternate linux driver. Another 5 minutes gave me full 3d video acceleration. I was able to plug in my cameras, and usb drives with immediate gratification.

" Linux has gone nowhere in several years as a desktop computer operating system and will likely be nowhere three years from now."

This statement is totally inaccurate. Linux desktop usage has made huge strides in recent years and today offers users an exciting experience with variety and visual effects. Software choices in popular and big distros are huge. Managing software is easy with a nice GUI(like Synaptic)in many distros.

Linux will continually grow due to the huge open source community. Why? Little or no cost to end users and business. Money talks. Linux is very popular in third world countries where costs really count.

In closing, I have used Linux since 1999. I am constantly trying and using new distros and releases. I spend 99% of my time in Linux in the last 3 years. I have Xp and use it occasionally. I do not hate Windows and I enjoy doing some things with it. I am just uncomfortable using it due to virus, spyware, adware, instability, and security concerns.

I admit that I do not keep up on Linux very much, although I do check occasionally to see if there has been any progress. Last time I checked it requires special software to run Photoshop or Microsoft Office on a Linux computer. And the latest versions of software like that is not supported if my memory serves me right. I think the latest version of Photoshop supported was Photoshop 7.

I occasionally check a website where people talk about drivers for printers and scanners for Linux. Last time I checked there was partial to no support for many printers and scanners, especially newer printers and scanners.

I think there are some things Linux people need to do to bring Linux mainstream.

First, they simply must have better driver support for various kinds of hardware such as printers, scanners, graphics tablets, card readers, various computer equipment, external hard drives, etc. If various companies that make equipment will not do the programming required to make this happen the Linux people are going to have to do it. Nobody wants a computer where you cannot find a driver for your scanner or your photo printer.

Second, Linux people and companies that support Linux may have to even pay companies like Adobe to develop support for Photoshop and other major creative software. Or at least update software that makes it possible to run the latest versions of Microsoft Office and Photoshop on Linux computers. Remember, some 90% of everybody use Microsoft Office or at least Microsoft Word. That does not mean that OpenOffice is not good but remember the 90% of everybody. And some 99% of computer graphics professionals use Photoshop. I think it is highly unlikely that they are going to decide to switch to GIMP. Or maybe GIMP could be brought up to Photoshop level.

If Linux remained low cost and could support all of my software and all of my hardware would I consider Linux? Yes I would-I have already run Linux on an experimental basis. If Linux just worked, ran the software and hardware that people use, and remained low cost Linux would probably take off like a rocket. What would be not to like? But there are reasons Linux does not take off. The Linux people need to take a really good look at the reasons.

Because right now with Windows everywhere and software and hardware supported it just makes sense to run Windows. People do not need the hassle. The Linux people need to offer a alternative solution that works.

Sure Linux works for some people. Make Linux work in every way for a creative person doing photo editing, scanning, photo printing, etc. Make that the target. If that person is happy everybody else should be happy.

Does it sound like I might be telling the truth?

With web services growing, who cares what runs what. The desk top is getting thinner and thinner. I lot of things will change between now and three years from now. We used to play the tape of Bill Gates saying that the Internet would not amount to much, ever, and would not be a big part of their plans in the future. Maybe it's just me but he was a bit off the target and to his credit, he changed his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back