Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

But in an absolute sense, to a person with no Linux experience, it is no more friendly that it ever was. And the most perplexing part is, if it takes so little extra knowledge to make it friendly (as everyone always intimates), why hasn't that been designed into the installation procedure? The fact that that last step has never been taken (to my knowledge) when it would supposedly be so easy, is what keeps it in the geek category.

Respectfully.. You have not used Ubuntu, because software management is easier than Windows. "Add/Remove" is under the Applications menu on the task bar. It is a unified interface, something Windows has not achieved.

I do agree with TMW's assessment. For those of us who grew up on DOS/Windows, the mindset is pretty easy, download & install. Windows 95 brought us the "unified" installer: when vendors decided to follow MS by calling all installers "setup.exe". lol

With my first I.T. job, I had to support HP-UX systems, NetWare and every version of Windows made up to that point, and CP/M. Baptism of fire? You bet. I was forced to learn the Unix way of doing things.

Out of that, I found that NetWare followed the Unix mind-set for a lot of things. That's when the thought occurred to me: why did Microsoft do everything different when compared to Unix/Linux/Netware, etc ??

But MS owns the market. So we learned on the 'odd man out', so to speak.

simple_gifts is right--the Synaptic package manager is oodles easier than A/R/P. Ubuntu 9.04 is really the very 1st Linux distro that Windows admins can really sink their teeth into. Linux Mint, an Ubuntu-based distro, ups the ease-of-use level. I'm REALLY liking Linux Mint as it has all the codecs you need. Even in the 64 bit release. Give it a try, it's worth it!

x2. Mint is my favorite distro right now, and will most likely stay my distro of choice. I *did* have 3 copies of Windows 7 on pre-order, but I cancelled the order. I see no need to spend the money on Windows now that I've been using Linux almost exclusively for the past year. I still have to support Windows XP/Vista/7 at work, so I'll most likey be able to get a copy of 7 through our Technet subscription.

Its going to be interesting for sure.. we are just now starting to convert XP systems over to Vista, and I have to say I'm really disappointed in Vista. I wished they would have waited for 7, but that's the way it goes.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back