The Nascar "10 LAPS" at the Brickyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else watching this non sense? These new "cars of tomorrow" can only go 10 laps at Indy before they wear the tires into the cords upon which they explode. What a freakin joke. I'd be so peeved if I paid money to sit in the grand stands and watch this [censored].

Totally agree, Drew. But they're not the only ones.

Passenger car tires are 20 years behind car technology.

That's what they get for not testing that car with those tires at Indy. Bet they do not have the same problem next year. If Goodyear had not come to NASCAR before the race started and requested this, it would have been a wrecking yard by the end of the day.

Without straying too far off the topic of today's swell exhibit of entertainment, Mrs. Pat in Speedway made a little pre-race walk outside the speedway and through our 'hood early this morning. Pics are here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pat in Speedway
Without straying too far off the topic of today's swell exhibit of entertainment, Mrs. Pat in Speedway made a little pre-race walk outside the speedway and through our 'hood early this morning. Pics are here.

I like the shot of the blimp, and that Old Spice Girl has a wicked look. Oh, and what's with the IMPD stunt riders?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Oh, and what's with the IMPD stunt riders?

He's an actual police officer and part of the Indianapolis Metro Police Dept. Motorcycle Drill Team. They've been performing forever at parades and such. I found a clip of them in action here at one of the Indy 500 Parades.

Last edited:
They need to go back to the old car for starters - this new car looks like a ricer (but then again, Toyota is in the picture!). Then, add more downforce to the old car. And, do some extensive tire testing. More downforce to the old car will slow them down as much as having a piece of [censored] that drives like craap - aka the car of tomorrow. Let these guys race for cripes sake! Driving a stock car is eons harder than any open wheel car or sports car/prototype. Half the downforce, half the tire, twice the weight. Lets see some freakin racing!

It's RACING. It's supposed to be dangerous. These guys aren't 3rd graders driving go-carts - they're professional race car drivers.

I watched that race yesterday, and I know that Indy is a big place, but it looked like there were a lot of empty seats to me. I expected that place to be packed for a race like this. The IRL INDY 500 had a larger crowd.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
They need to go back to the old car for starters - this new car looks like a ricer (but then again, Toyota is in the picture!).

the new car at least looks like a CAR, that old thing looked like one of those car shaped chocolates in foil.
I'll do you one better- they need to start w/ STOCK cars. when was the last time this was done, mid '80s? I miss the monte carlo aerocoupe, and the t-bird, and buick GN and the gran prix. what's wrong w/ cars that LOOK like cars?

Originally Posted By: mpvue

the new car at least looks like a CAR

I dunno about that. The old car IMO looked more like a real car than this new monstrosity. The car of tomorrow looks like some pimped out ricer Monte Carlo with a wing and a huge fat can out back!

Quote:
The car of tomorrow looks like some pimped out ricer Monte Carlo with a wing and a huge fat can out back!

Agreed!!
crazy2.gif

NASCAR's getting just what they deserve, IMO. Trying to make non-high-tech cars high tech.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Drew99GT said:
when was the last time this was done, mid '80s?

Actually it was the very early '70s that they used NON tube framed cars, based on production chassis.

The Aussie Supercar V8 series has the right idea, although tey do use decent sized wings/splitters on them.
But they are based on production rides, and DO look like them.
They run exclusively on road courses.
Not exactly to the "have to have it all right in my lap/see it ALL right from my seat" American sports mentality.

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:
The car of tomorrow looks like some pimped out ricer Monte Carlo with a wing and a huge fat can out back!

Agreed!!
crazy2.gif

NASCAR's getting just what they deserve, IMO. Trying to make non-high-tech cars high tech.

Ummm...no, this has little to do with advancing car technology. If anything NASCAR spends millions of dollars every year developing technology to maintain the 1960's essence of the cars. There is nothing very technological about the COT and a lot of technology is used to ensure the cars are devoid of it.

The COT was created for a couple main reasons:

Safety - the death of Dale Earnhardt dramatically accelerated the desire to make racing safer. The COT has a taller roof line, the car is wider and the driver sits more towards the center of the car to improve driver-side impact protection. Bumpers front and rear are larger, reinforced and matched so front's hit rear's squarely. The fuel cell area is larger and stronger. The car's exhaust system is routed away from the driver to reduce heat exposure. All this is done to enhance the safety for the drivers.

Competition equality - Anyone who has been a long term NASCAR fan remembers the constant tweaking of the rules regarding aerodynamics. NASCAR would give one mfr a little extra front spoiler and take away a little rear spoiler from another mfr. With the COT those days are gone. All cars now fit a common template so one brand does not have a competitive aero advantage over another. It levels the playing field for all brands instead of penalizing a car for not being as aero efficient as the others. The COT is much less dependent on aerodynamics; you don't hear the term "aero push" nearly as much as you used to with the old car.

Cost efficiency - The COT allows teams to effectively build one type of car for most tracks. In the past teams would have to have dozens of specialized cars built for every track type. No more. A team can use their Martinsville car at Talladega and be competitive. Teams can focus on chassis development now that the bodies are standardized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back