The most reliable car I have ever owned was my.......

1994 Toyota Tercel probably
You made me remember my 1993 Toyota 4WD Pickup, reg cab, 22RE, AT. Built right here at Fremont. (GM, NUMMI, Tesla).
Battery lasted 10 years.
I gave it to my BIL almost 15 years ago. ODO died at 350K miles. Totaled twice I think. He just sold it to some gardeners.
Still in service, must have the better part of 500K miles.

2000 Ford Taurus.
The only time this car ever saw a tow truck was when the fuel pump died at 275K.
I had a 2001 Taurus that made it to over 215k. I think I had it towed 3 times, once each for the springs breaking, first the rears broke, then the front. The front was on me though because that happened after the rears did and I knew it was just a matter of time before the fronts did, but I took too long and they broke on me. The 3rd time was when a coolant hose went and the ground was covered in coolant. Had it for 12 years.

I'm doing better on my 2008 Mercedes E-350 and 2011 E-350, both haven't had to be towed yet, but still lots of maintenance to them. Only 6 years on 2008 so it could still be early.

Probably the 1966 Ford Fairlane I had in college - 289 V8, 3-on-the-tree, manual steering and brakes. That thing took a licking and kept on ticking.
And yet the 1965 Mercury Comet I had in college - 289 V8, 3-on-the-tree, manual steering and brakes was one of the least reliable cars I ever had. By 80,000 miles the engine was toast, not to mention all the other stuff. And I took good care of it too. I guess that just demonstrates that there was a lot more more variability in those days. It got me through my first degree anyway.

1996 Toyota Camry v6. Or a 95 Geo Prizm; unfortunately, it was in an accident way before it showed signs of any issues.

My choice will make you laugh.......2012 Fiat 500. Paid 12K and am approaching 200,000 miles and it runs like new. My 1989 Mazda 323 a close second. Paid $5,000 brand new. Other than maintenance not a single issue. How about you?
I agree and the Fiat is inexpensive because people are still biased and don't realize how fun they are to drive and all the room up front.

2000 Hyundai Sonata. also the vehicle I owned the longest.
8.5 years, ~100k mi.
aside from eating non-OE belts, every issue it had, was covered under warranty/recall.
dead Tach, 2 power window regulators, rusted out subframe, ruptured CV Boots (likely Torn by the Rusted out subframe) all covered. when i pulled in to get the boots "Diagnosed", and apt scheduled, I had 99,990 mi on the dash. because it was written up before 100k, COVERED!

...now it did use a qt of oil every 1000-1500 mi...

Last edited:
2000 Hyundai Sonata. also the vehicle I owned the longest.
8.5 years, ~100k mi.
aside from eating non-OE belts, every issue it had, was covered under warranty/recall.
dead Tach, 2 power window regulators, rusted out subframe, ruptured CV Boots (likely Torn by the Rusted out subframe) all covered. when i pulled in to get the boots "Diagnosed", and apt scheduled, I had 99,990 mi on the dash. because it was written up before 100k, COVERED!

I think you misread the title of this thread. It's supposed to be about your most reliable car! :ROFLMAO:

2006 Toyota Corolla. A fantastically boring and predictable car it has been so far (purchased used in 2008 ex gov auction). Just basic maintenance for the last 12 years.

1997 Toyota Camry with the 5SFE. My other Toyotas were reliable as well (pickups with 22rs) but they had rust issues even in the south.

2002 Expedition Eddie Bauer. 5.4L with the 4R100. We put that thing through hell and back and it never left us stranded, even when it launched a plug.

wife bought a 91 Geo Prizm brand new and daily drove it for 17 years and not a single thing broke on it. Nothing.

2001 Saturn L100 lease turn-in we bought for our daughter in 2004 in Pa. Paid $3000. She drove it for 10 years in Phoenix, LA, SF, SD commuting in city traffic and the only non maintenance item was an A/C compressor while she was in Phoenix. Sold it in 2014 for $2000 and it was still running in 2018.

All mine (listed below) have been pretty good, aside from maintenance and normal wear items, but none perfect. Can recall only two strandings not due to failure of a non-original component. Those were when the axle broke on the Chevy, and when the altitude compensator gizmo (or possibly the carburetor) messed up on the Mazda when it had only ~6k miles.

A tie between my '97 F150 and 99 F150. Both were supercab flareside 4.6l auto trucks. The 97 was 2 wheel drive, the 99 was four wheel drive.

I'd take the 97 back in a heartbeat. Wish I never sold it...

Back