The joys of good beaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned beaters all my life, 45 at the last count. My newest car is a 2013 Dodge, bought used, not a beater, but the other car is a 94 Plymouth Acclaim with ~240k on it. I have 11 other Dodges out back, from 88 to 95, anyone of which just needs a battery, gas and a fresh tag to put it to use. Beaters provide utility and save me money.

I used to like having beaters, but I still need to get places. Cars circling the garage crimp my style. But treating a vehicle like the appliance it is? Priceless.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Buying brand new cars in the last 20 years has become a luxury that few can actually afford if they were savvy enough to really understand how much more expensive it is to buy new cars than reliable 3-4 year old used cars. Most folks that buy new also don't really understand how much that added expense on a cumulative basis damages their ability to retire with any kind of financial security. Repeatedly leasing new cars is the extreme example of how to overspend on new cars - it is basically slow motion financial suicide.

Guess it kinda depends on what you buy too...can't tell you how many people buy way more than you ever need. Not many people need a SUV or luxury car...

I currently have all no frill compacts they we drive. All will get some update work done on them, which should not be too much since I'll be doing most of the work myself...

Will be looking to add another no frills compact (Cruze or Civic) to our fleet for my commute/family trip car. And I might lease it, as I'm unsure how much more our family will grow in the next few years. While in the end I might pay a few bucks more in the end if I buy it (or getting something better if we need to), I still plan to have a few bucks aside to make that choice when it is time.

Tough part about having an older fleet is you never know when something might just end the car. (crash, something bombing) But, if one is putting money away in case-makes things much easier...

But I totally agree with the buy 3-4 years old part....

Last edited:
My dd is essentially a beater. 13 y/o and almost 140k miles with fading paint here and there, but it hasn't missed a beat in the 6 years I've had it. Short of leather seats and side airbags, it basically has all the things I want. As long as nothing happens to it, I see myself driving it for a lot longer. Even if I got a new car, I would keep it for dd use.

I think of my Civic that way, I don't care if it gets scratched or dented, and can drive it anywhere. On our road trip to NYC last year, I elected to drive it instead of the Corvette or BMW, as I wasn't sure where we were going to be parking our car. If something happened to the Civic I could easily find a similar one to replace it, and I would not shed a tear. But the other two cars would be harder to find replacements.

After having quite a few nice cars that I drove everyday (like my 98 Corvette) it is nice to have a daily driver that I don't bother washing all that often, and don't care how dirty the interior gets. Plus it's nice to have a DD that easily gets 40+ MPG on the highway.

I'm incapable of owning a beater. Actually, let me rephrase that. I'm incapable of keeping a beater a beater. I've owned some pretty inexpensive cars, ones that I'd consider a beater. But I can't resist the urge to fix them up...fix all of the dings and scratches. TLC them back to closer to what they were when new.

My latest example was a '97 Dakota I bought with 172k miles on it. I drove it as-is for a few months. Then I removed the silly body lift (on a 2WD truck!). I removed and sold the 32x12.50 BFG ATs. I bought a set of the 15x8 split five spoke Dakota/Durango wheels for new 255/70R15 Firestone Indy 500 tires. I removed and repainted the bumpers. I installed leather Durango seats.

I just can't help it. I HAVE to fix cars up. We have two nice cars now, and they need nothing, so I turn my attention to lawn mowers.

It's a disease. But it's one of those where both abstaining and indulging makes it worse: there is no cure. The best I can do is manage it.

Given the high-tech mechanics of modern cars, it's hard to think of any car made in this century a "beater"...my 10 year old Camry certainly doesn't fit that description.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Heh heh, the secret to daily driving beaters is to have a spare.
grin2.gif

If you see my car list, you know i agree.

We stopped by a Walmart to check for clearance deals today while driving the semi-beater '02 Accord.
On leaving, we saw a very nice old Impala SS.
I'm talking about the one from the mid nineties, not a real oldie.
The car was parked way out in the lot by itself, the owner obviously trying to avoid any dings.
The thing was, some indolent slob had rolled a shopping cart downhill right into the passenger side front door.
What a shame and a good argument for keeping a beater or two as a shopping car.
I see the same types of problems, sans shopping carts, in the tight and crowded parking lot at work.
It's like you can't have anything nice without someone damaging it, whether through negligence or intent.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'm incapable of owning a beater. Actually, let me rephrase that. I'm incapable of keeping a beater a beater. I've owned some pretty inexpensive cars, ones that I'd consider a beater. But I can't resist the urge to fix them up...fix all of the dings and scratches. TLC them back to closer to what they were when new.

My latest example was a '97 Dakota I bought with 172k miles on it. I drove it as-is for a few months. Then I removed the silly body lift (on a 2WD truck!). I removed and sold the 32x12.50 BFG ATs. I bought a set of the 15x8 split five spoke Dakota/Durango wheels for new 255/70R15 Firestone Indy 500 tires. I removed and repainted the bumpers. I installed leather Durango seats.

I just can't help it. I HAVE to fix cars up. We have two nice cars now, and they need nothing, so I turn my attention to lawn mowers.

It's a disease. But it's one of those where both abstaining and indulging makes it worse: there is no cure. The best I can do is manage it.

I understand exactly what you are saying - I have same disease for cars and houses.

My beater is that Echo. I drove show cars from senior year in high school, so at first it was a major step down.

I have since found that driving a beater is not only fun in its own right, it has given me a lot of freedom.

I still long for the attention I got driving those fantastic show cars, but once I start trucking (I am starting school this Monday), I'll start paying myself a car payment every month and get a nice car on the side. In the meantime, that little Toyota is serving me well with great reliability and low operating costs. As in, $27/mo insurance, have spent only about $120 in non-consumables maintenance in the three years I have driven it (not a typo, only $120), and 40mpg.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

If we move, I am becoming your neighbor. You can work on my beaters any time! Another winter like this, I would be seriously considering your neck of woods!

Heck yeah
Other than some annoying issues well known to Saturn I am happy to be commuting in my 96 SL2. Almost 20 years old and the motor and trans are great.

The weather strippings are shot, it rattles, the struts need to be replaced again, but the thing works. And it drives down the road straight without any complaints or drama.

Gotta love $500 cars.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We have a number of 10 year old+ sub-$4K cars in the family fleet that are perfectly reliable and that are mostly daily drivers.
Our younger son uses a '99 Legacy AWD 2.2 to drive to work six days a week with no problems.
Our older son is currenly driving an '01 Focus to work every day with no problems.
I'm driving an '02 Accord on my fifty mile a day commute without a care.
The old BMW goes back into this use around the first of May.
Then there's also our hauler, a '94 E350 that I bought at auction for $900.00.
I drive it to work now and then just to run it on a semi-regular basis.
These are all good and reliable vehicles, all of which look decent but none of which are pristine.
I drove our '12 Accord to work for the first few months that we had it and was apalled to find a couple of small door dings after only a few months.
My wife mostly uses it now and we use it on weekends and for trips.
No more daily driver commuting use for me.
I'll drive something old and cheap that doesn't make me feel badly when some careless slob hits it with a door.
Too bad you can't park anything new outside of your own driveway without some hapless slob damaging it.
OTOH, good that there is a plentiful supply of inexpensive used cars out there at fairly cheap prices.
Who else has a couple of nice cars but favors something old and cheap for the daily commute?

cheers3.gif

I miss the Forester. Such a good car and being it was a beater, I took it off-road quite a bit. Had a lot of fun with that car in such a short period of time.

I don't understand why - I am pretty sure there is no logic to this, but since I have paid the Focus off, I find myself driving the Cherokee more. Even ... uh ... with the complete lack of transmission mount at the moment.

I love my Cherokee, but it's the definition of a beater. I would like to keep the Focus in nice-ish shape for as long as possible ... or until I can pick up a used Mirage for next to nothing. Cherokee for DD/beater and use the Focus for the 140 mile round trip to my parents and back every other week.

Originally Posted By: Patman
But the other two cars would be harder to find replacements.

Lol! it's a 2010 BMW 3 series...how much more common of a car could you have? It's practically as common as your civic and in a few years they'll have equivalent market value

This thread is exactly why I chose a 2007 Focus for my daily. It's cheap, repairs are simple and I really don't care about dings. Heck, I've decreased my yearly insurance on it because most body parts are easily found in any wrecking yard!

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: andyd
Heh heh, the secret to daily driving beaters is to have a spare.
grin2.gif

+1

This is what I do. My 2 beaters, and the wife drives the nice car.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I don't understand why - I am pretty sure there is no logic to this, but since I have paid the Focus off, I find myself driving the Cherokee more. Even ... uh ... with the complete lack of transmission mount at the moment.

I love my Cherokee, but it's the definition of a beater. I would like to keep the Focus in nice-ish shape for as long as possible ... or until I can pick up a used Mirage for next to nothing. Cherokee for DD/beater and use the Focus for the 140 mile round trip to my parents and back every other week.

+1 I drive the Tracker on the weekends just to put some more miles on it as its going to rust out before wearing out. The Focus may be worth a bit more when it goes if I keep it lower than 200k km.
Also with the Tracker we can go on impromptu trail drives which the kids like too. No worries about superficial damage with it.

I didn't drive the Jeep one winter. Thought it would help avoid it rusting out.

Well, it didn't rust any that winter ... but I came back to seized ball joints and an HVAC system that was stuck on defrost :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back