The Jeep Made it to 150k Miles - Storytime

Originally Posted by Nick1994

That's a great looking Jeep. Are there good trails in Kentucky?

Thanks! That picture was taken on our old farm road. The Land Between the Lakes has several nice trails. A Jeep Jamboree is usually held in that area every year or so.

My '99 XJ with 4.0 and automatic has about 230K miles and runs great. It's mostly stock aside from a few mild upgrades like H4 headlights w/relay harness, LED dash lights, and rear disc brakes. It came with the basic "idiot light" instrument cluster but upgrading to full instruments with a used cluster was a simple bolt-in, plug&play operation. (The only "gotcha" is that the odometer reading stays with the instrument cluster.)

Worst mistake I ever made was selling our pristine 2000 Cherokee Limited. It had everything, including the optional 4WD system with full time/part time or 2WD modes. It was black with black leather. Loved it! Still miss it but cannot find another in decent enough shape to buy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. I've known several "for life" Cherokee owners.

I wonder if extended idle time in its first life, might have something to do with the high repair rate. Sometimes it's the hours, not the miles.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Worst mistake I ever made was selling our pristine 2000 Cherokee Limited. It had everything, including the optional 4WD system with full time/part time or 2WD modes. It was black with black leather. Loved it! Still miss it but cannot find another in decent enough shape to buy.

Cherokee prices are insane now. I've owned 3 of them. My last one was a 2000 I bought in 2009 with 80k miles on it for $6,800. It was hard to find them even back then. I went to look at several that had sold between when I called and when I got there. I sold that one a few months ago due to rust issues, and with 185k miles I still got $3,000 for it after being listed for a week. I would've loved to keep it but the windshield frame had rusted and leaked, and it had other rust problems that were beyond my welding capability to fix and would've cost thousands.

A good friend also had a 2000 XJ, and it was recently totaled with close to 240k miles on it. He has been searching for a not-so-rusty replacement for months. XJs from the south with 150k miles are still selling for crazy high prices ($10,000+) on ebay.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by Nick1994

That's a great looking Jeep. Are there good trails in Kentucky?

Thanks! That picture was taken on our old farm road. The Land Between the Lakes has several nice trails. A Jeep Jamboree is usually held in that area every year or so.

Nice! Mine is almost identical (1998 Sahara) but in Moss Green.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Olas
huge fuel gauge and no tacho?

Standard dash cluster. The gauge package (with or without tach) was optional.

Originally Posted by Olas
huge fuel gauge and no tacho?

Base model/government model. The higher trim levels have gauges for battery, rpm, oil pressure, and temp.

I have an aftermarket temp gauge mounted lower on the dash.

I'm convinced the 4.0's will live forever. Very cool! Around here most are cut up and lifted on big tires, Nice to see a very clean looking one!
Except the ones that get cracks in the piston skirts and eventually a chunk of piston skirt drops down. Will it fall into the oil pan or jam things up destroying the engine? I lost that bet and had to replace an engine.

And the #331 heads that crack.

Aside from that, solid engine.

Except the ones that get cracks in the piston skirts and eventually a chunk of piston skirt drops down. Will it fall into the oil pan or jam things up destroying the engine? I lost that bet and had to replace an engine.

And the #331 heads that crack.

Aside from that, solid engine.
Good job on thread revival!
My ex-coworker brought in a piece of piston skirt once. Said he found it in the oil pan of his 4.0L the previous night. Somehow the Jeep ran just fine without that chunk. Up until it got sold a year later. IDK if the new owner is aware...

My favorite and most emotionally attached vehicle was a 93 ZJ, a rarity in that it had the same aisin transmission, which would run a little hot in the grand. I bought it in the latter end of its dying beater stage and drive the snot out of it. There is something very special about those vehicles - even their crudeness and shortcomings seem to somehow simply agree with our sensibilities.

4.0 FTW!

Congratulations!!! These milestones are fun to hit.

My little YJ hit 253k earlier this year and rarely gets driven now since it badly needs an engine. I’m taking it to the IA All Breeds Jeep show this weekend as I say goodbye to it. Lack of time and desire to do an engine swap has me listing it for sale. My goal is to be riding home in my sons 4Runner because I sold it at the show. Doubt it will happen that way, but you need goals.

I wish we had Jeeps as nice as yours here!! Mine is an import from out West.

IMG_0361.jpeg

In 1996 I bought a 1990 Cherokee Laredo 4x4 with 130K miles. I sold it 6 years later with 230K miles. Never had any major issues with it. Only issues in general were electrical in nature, mainly switches and an alternator.

Currently driving a 2005 Wrangler LJ I bought new. I alternate daily driving between it a a 2009 GMC Sierra Z71. I have 152K on the Jeep and 183K on the GMC.

Back