The imperial system is trash

Status
Not open for further replies.
grin.gif

MM/DD/YY used as DD/MM/YYYY.... then getting blank stares why it does not work or is the wrong century....
It's called Formatting....

Sorry: Joke only Eastern Europeans with the initial US MS Office package deployment experience will get it....

It'a DD/MM/YY in Canada. Opposite of USA MM/DD/YY, but the same as UK practice.

But I don't see the point in using only numerals in the first place, it doesn't take any more bits to write 14MR18 or MR1418 than to write 140318 or 031418, and then there's no ambiguity. The / is inserted only when entering or viewing data, the computer or application ignores it, so it's presence or absence has no effect on the number of bits used to store the date.

When I was in College (and this was before Macintosh and IBM PC but after the Apple ][ or Tandy and all those that came before it) I marked my notes as such in the top right corner:

010282.01 (meaning January 2 1982 page 1) thru (for example) 012282.51 (meaning January 22 1982 page 51).

The reason was in this way there was a pure continuity from the first page to the last in numerical order, so I could more easily find my notes for study.

But if you used that date format on your rent cheque, the bank would probably return it since legally 0102 1982 meant February 1, one month in the future from January 2.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
But yyymmdd sorted alphabetically is also sorted numerically so it's more perfect.

112 for the win!!!

In the US we say "On Jan. 14th...." more often than the lengthier "On the 14th of Jan.", so mm/dd/yy is more appropriate here.

This is my approach YYYY-MM-DD or something similar.

When I log sessions with equipment I connect to, to work on, The logs are named in the fashion by putty (the terminal program I use) so I can go back to the files from a specific date to review what happened in case there is a customer complaint.

But yyymmdd sorted alphabetically is also sorted numerically so it's more perfect.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: redbone3
14Mar18. No room for confusion.

Until about 2023 when they look back and are trying to figure out if you meant 2014 or 2018 .....
21.gif

I use 14 MAR 2018 whenever I can... ever since I worked for the military.
No confusion ever, unless the audience is international.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
This is my approach YYYY-MM-DD or something similar.

I like the 4-digit year, and the SI standard of general to specific - thus, today is 2018 03 14. It used drive me crazy when our draftsmen would default to, for example, "02 04 07", none of them using the same standard. Detective work is required years later.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: redbone3
14Mar18. No room for confusion.

Until about 2023 when they look back and are trying to figure out if you meant 2014 or 2018 .....
21.gif

I use 14 MAR 2018 whenever I can... ever since I worked for the military.
No confusion ever, unless the audience is international.

^^^^ That … I go to lots of countries and most get alphanumeric dates …

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
It'a DD/MM/YY in Canada. Opposite of USA MM/DD/YY, but the same as UK practice.

But I don't see the point in using only numerals in the first place, it doesn't take any more bits to write 14MR18 or MR1418 than to write 140318 or 031418, and then there's no ambiguity. The / is inserted only when entering or viewing data, the computer or application ignores it, so it's presence or absence has no effect on the number of bits used to store the date.

When I was in College (and this was before Macintosh and IBM PC but after the Apple ][ or Tandy and all those that came before it) I marked my notes as such in the top right corner:

010282.01 (meaning January 2 1982 page 1) thru (for example) 012282.51 (meaning January 22 1982 page 51).

The reason was in this way there was a pure continuity from the first page to the last in numerical order, so I could more easily find my notes for study.

But if you used that date format on your rent cheque, the bank would probably return it since legally 0102 1982 meant February 1, one month in the future from January 2.

Ddmmyyyy is the.rest of the world except England and USA

Privately, I use yyy-mm-dd, because it sorts from largest to smallest unit. If I throw time in, it's YYYY-mm-ddT00:00UTC

Example of date::
2018-03-14

Example of date with time without seconds:
2018-03-14T08:33UTC

Example of date with time with seconds:
2018-03-14T08:33:58UTC

Let's not blame we imperialists . ISO (That's the INTERNATIONAL Standards Organization) has basic and extended formats for date and time. The time may include time zone information ... whether it's mandatory is unclear. It's about local solar noon here in the eastern US on (Eastern) Daylight Saving Time ...

(right now) basic would be 20180315131500-0400. Extended, easier for we humans, is 2018-03-15T13:15:00-04:00

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601 for their interpretation.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
I like the 4-digit year, and the SI standard of general to specific - thus, today is 2018 03 14.

Me too. My understanding of the SI standard is from largest unit to smallest. Thus year/month/day. And you can add hour and minutes if that's relevant (for example hospital chart notes).

My BITOG start date is 07/09/08 and I have no idea what that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back