The Honda mower recall

Lots of talk on youtube about it. But not one picture of the problem. It would be nice to see how it compares to the B&S, comp release mess.

Lots of talk on youtube about it. But not one picture of the problem. It would be nice to see how it compares to the B&S, comp release mess.
The best way to find out about a recall is contact the manufacturer not look at a you tube video.

Both the Honda and B&S problems involve their plastic camshafts and compression releases. Maybe from the same supplier?
The B&S problem is worse because the cam is inside the block and the fix involves removing the engine from the mower and completely disassembling it. The Honda's cam is in the head and replacing it is an easy fix.

Recalls are a specific regulatory process to resolve product safety issues. A mower failing to run is not a safety issue.

It is a stop sale:

June 19, 2023
HRN216 and HRX217K6 Lawn Mowers STOP SALE/RENTAL NOTICE
Dear Honda Retail Partner,
American Honda is issuing an immediate Stop Sale Notice for certain HRN216 and HRX217K6 walk behind lawnmowers.
Due to the increase in claims related to camshaft decompressor malfunctions, and complaints from the market, Honda is conducting an in-depth investigation into the issue. During this time, all HRN216 and HRX217K6 product in dealer and Honda inventory will be placed on hold and cannot be rented/retailed into the market.
Affected Units: As part of the investigation, the scope of the issue has yet to be determined. Further information will be communicated in the near future related to affected VIN range(s).
American Honda Inventory: All units in American Honda warehouse inventory have been placed on hold including VINs we have confirmed to be unaffected by this issue to eliminate confusion in the market during our investigation.
Units in Retail Partner Inventory: Tag affected units and place them in a secure location to prevent retail sale or rental. These units will need to remain on hold and off of the sales floor until further notice from Honda. If a dealer rents/sells an affected unit after being notified of this stop sale notice, any injury or damage that occurs as a result is the responsibility of the dealer.
We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this issue may cause. If you have any questions, please contact your Honda District Sales Manager or District Service Manager.
Sincerely,
Honda Power Sports and Products Quality Center

Source: https://www.fleetfarm.com/images/static/HondaStopSaleNotice.pdf

Both the Honda and B&S problems involve their plastic camshafts and compression releases. Maybe from the same supplier?
The B&S problem is worse because the cam is inside the block and the fix involves removing the engine from the mower and completely disassembling it. The Honda's cam is in the head and replacing it is an easy fix.
B&S 17 ish HP Intek engine does NOT have a plastic camshaft. Its a splined steel shaft loaded with sintered junk parts though, the bushing for the compression release on some maybe plastic not sure. And yes some of the smaller BS push mower engines had plastic gears and lobes.
All their cost cutting measures do nothing to help us consumers we still pay top dollar for their ill engineered over priced junk.
And then have to keep paying to keep them running, purchasing over priced failed bad engineered parts.
With BS, everyone just keeps putting the same old failed design back in thinking its going to last? Lots of storys of fixing them 3 or so times and still the comp release fails.

B&S 17 ish HP Intek engine does NOT have a plastic camshaft. Its a splined steel shaft loaded with sintered junk parts though, the bushing for the compression release on some maybe plastic not sure. And yes some of the smaller BS push mower engines had plastic gears and lobes.
All their cost cutting measures do nothing to help us consumers we still pay top dollar for their ill engineered over priced junk.
And then have to keep paying to keep them running, purchasing over priced failed bad engineered parts.
With BS, everyone just keeps putting the same old failed design back in thinking its going to last? Lots of storys of fixing them 3 or so times and still the comp release fails.
I was referring to B&S engines in the same size/displacement range (the 190cc and under EXi series engines). The Honda and B&S engines have eerily similar problems. Unlike Honda, as far as I know B&S has not attempted to fix the problem. It wouldn't surprise me if both parts came from the same supplier. For the record, I am not a fan of plastic camshafts and cam gears.

We just recently were told to pull all of our Honda rotary inventory off the sales floor. I’m not in sales so not sure when they were told to pull it. We also had to pull all the Arians rotary mowers we had on the floor for an issue with the wheels. They are the only 2 brands of homeowner walk behind we carry. Only walk behinds left on the floor are the commercial Exmark and Scags.

So, the issues with the honda cams is that the compression release stick in the run position... replaced 3 of them before the stop sale, still waiting to hear from honda on the course of action, considering the replacement cams are potentially prone to the same issues...

Attachments

• 20230823_100756.jpg
    20230823_100756.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 106
Recalling lawn mowers for plastic camshaft failures.... I think I've finally heard it all 🤦‍♂️ I guess it's a good thing I have a much older Briggs & Stratton.

What isn't plastic crap anymore? As Charlie Brown would say what a load of sh... I mean Good Grief ☹️

Recalling lawn mowers for plastic camshaft failures.... I think I've finally heard it all 🤦‍♂️ I guess it's a good thing I have a much older Briggs & Stratton.

What isn't plastic crap anymore? As Charlie Brown would say what a load of sh... I mean Good Grief ☹️
Honda has used plastic cams for years with no issues, not sure what changed (without getting extremely political which i dont think needs to happen here) but rhe tolerances are off on the cams compression release...

I have one of the newer HRN216's and have not heard of this issue. Guess, I'll find out eventually

Only issue I've had is the valve cover had to be re-sealed. The sealant from factory was definitely not adequate and eventually started leaking pretty bad.

Honda has used plastic cams for years with no issues, not sure what changed (without getting extremely political which i dont think needs to happen here) but rhe tolerances are off on the cams compression release...
Unfortunately plastic doesn't last as long as metal... so if you want to make things that don't last as long, and are cheaper to manufacture (2 birds with one stone 😲) you make them out of plastic. That way people have to buy your products more often, and you make more money 🤑💰

It kinda sucks for us consumers because we know we can't count on things to last as long, plus they cost more to purchase and repair, and all we can do is bend over and say "thank you 😁"

Not really the American Dream anymore lol.

Unfortunately plastic doesn't last as long as metal... so if you want to make things that don't last as long, and are cheaper to manufacture (2 birds with one stone 😲) you make them out of plastic. That way people have to buy your products more often, and you make more money 🤑💰

It kinda sucks for us consumers because we know we can't count on things to last as long, plus they cost more to purchase and repair, and all we can do is bend over and say "thank you 😁"

Not really the American Dream anymore lol.
Honda has been using plastic cams all the way back in the 80s hs21 mowers, never had a bad one of those, never had a bad hrs or hrx cam til the current year models.... so in a sense you would be wrong.... as the plastic cams are lasting 40 yrs or better, just the current quality control is not what it used to be... and, honda is standing behind thier product with the stop sale, and once yhey determine the cause, the eventual repair of affected machines under warranty....unlike some other brands that have known cam failures (i am looking at you briggs and stratton....)

Honda has been using plastic cams all the way back in the 80s hs21 mowers, never had a bad one of those, never had a bad hrs or hrx cam til the current year models.... so in a sense you would be wrong.... as the plastic cams are lasting 40 yrs or better, just the current quality control is not what it used to be... and, honda is standing behind thier product with the stop sale, and once yhey determine the cause, the eventual repair of affected machines under warranty....unlike some other brands that have known cam failures (i am looking at you briggs and stratton....)
I've never owned a Honda mower, just old Briggs & Strattons.. and never took them apart. So I wasn't aware they were using plastic engine parts 😲 I'm glad I didn't know lol. But thanks for letting me know that 😉 I have to say I've never had an old mower die, so I guess they were doing something right 👍

But it's not really the fact they're using plastic in the mower engines that bothers me... that just triggered me lol, it's the fact they're using plastic in our modern car engines that really grinds my plastic gears. I'm currently replacing a cracked plastic radiator in a Lexus with 86k miles on it. A well maintained metal radiator most likely would have lasted the life of the car.

I'm also replacing a cracked plastic intake manifold on a mustang with 80k miles... a metal manifold would have lasted forever.

Honestly I'm just sick of all the disposable plastic they're putting in places they shouldn't be, like engines. Especially my car engines. Very frustrating when you have plastic under the hood where metal should be, because the companies want to cheap out and we end up paying the price literally 🤬

Okay rant over 😁😉

Back