The great filter debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My statements in this thread have been 100% correct and in no way foolish. Only the people who do not have any idea what they are talking about (and have demonstrated it here) are the foolish ones.

The lack of understanding of science and experimentation you see is always surprising to me but I'm not sure why.
Still no proof. Words are cheap, I look for scientific numbers. Unless you can provide documentation of your claims, then this conversation is over. Have a good day.

The noise, IMHO, is part of the butt-dyno placebo folks feel when they swap in a K&N.
They always said the mind is a powerful thing. We can think something and magically it becomes true. Like I said in my original post, do whatever makes you happy. 👍🏼

Exactly. Anyone that knows anything about testing knows that if you manipulate and configure the test (usually in a sloppy manner inconsistent with any standardized test method) you can obtain results that support your beliefs.
Engineering Explained guy is pretty meticulous in his methods. As mentioned, there are thousands of dyno runs like Engineering Explained did in his video that shows slight HP gains at WOT with a more free flowing air filter. That's of course if the intake tubing, etc isn't the air flow choke point and the filter was. Any time more air and fuel (at the correct ratio of course) can be taken in on the intake stroke will result in more HP output.

Whether a different filter ALLOWS ( A filter cannot "add" anything that's not in the design to begin with so increases potential based on capacity versus utilization factors) HP to be achieved in a given application can only be true in cases where the filter is the sole limiting factor in the potential. ( too many of these farm project level "tests" take CONDITIONAL results and try to promote them as absolute values- this is a fools recipe even in properly conducted testing)
That's exactly what was shown in the Engineering Explained video (and a thousand more like it). Only factor changed in the testing was the air filter.

That's exactly what was shown in the Engineering Explained video (and a thousand more like it). Only factor changed in the testing was the air filter.
How to you know this when they don't state which variables were identified, measured, controlled and varied as part of their test plan?

ABN_CBT_ENGR can be prickly sometimes in his posts but he is certainly correct here.​

How to you know this when they don't state which variables were identified, measured, controlled and varied as part of their test plan?
Did you watch the video? Only thing changed was the drop-in air filter in the stock OEM air box. Dyno runs were all done on the same day on the same dyno. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of similar dyno runs showing a slight HP gain at WOT from a more free flowing air filter (when intake downstream isn't the flow choker). Can you prove that an engine can't make more HP if more air+fuel at the correct ratio is combusted inside the cylinders?

Did you watch the video? Only thing changed was the drop-in air filter in the stock OEM air box. Dyno runs were all done on the same day. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of similar dyno runs showing a slight HP gain at WOT from a more free flowing air filter (when intake downstream isn't the flow choker). Can you prove that an engine can't make more HP if more air+fuel at the correct ratio is combusted inside the cylinders?
It's clear you've never been part of an engineering peer review and people are trying to tell you that in several ways.

ABN_CBT_ENGR can be prickly sometimes in his posts but he is certainly correct here.​

Go read what he said that I quoted from his post. It's the same thing I'm saying.

It's clear you've never been part of an engineering peer review and people are trying to tell you that in several ways.
LoL ... it's clear you can't understand a simple test procedure.

I'm trying to work through the variable controls - to me it would be environmental, the fan speed for the dyno room, etc. Same car, same fuel, same dyno, swapping filters between runs with back/forth repeats, and same time cooling down between runs for the heat soak aspect. The pulls are usually 4th gear 2K to redline. You can monitor timing/boost/etc. to ensure consistency/no issues with timing pull. Not much else to control really to me? The repeats are what handles a lot of it - so much of what I see is a single run of one filter and then a single run of another filter. Needs lots of runs to average out all those hard-to-control variables.

Last edited:
I am challenging you to provide me with a process that is adequate at judging filter performance.

Depending on specifics and type of filter, ISO 16890,29463,21220 5011 for starters

As far as I am aware

You might want to expands your awareness

You talk a big talk, but all you have done is nit-pick what has been provided and you have added nothing meaningful to the conversation.

That's false on its face and laughable overall

In the words of Benjamin Disraeli "How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct", so Mr.Engineer provide some data please.

I did specifically, now Mr. Trainer- reciprocate

You have no concept, clue or actual experience in actual engineering testing and all the associated protocols and requirements do you?

or do you just know what a link tells you?

Do you have any actual knowledge to draw from or are you just arguing other peoples points with no real comprehension of the subject?

Here's an example I used earlier relative to this discussion.

Does a (insert type here) filter increase HP in a vehicle? ( that seems to be an accurate condensing of most of the statement's in this part of the forum)

If that's a correct question then its impossible to answer because no filter "creates" or "adds" HP to any engine. That's where the skewing starts and arguing endlessly begins.
Word semantic games ... something causing an increase in HP can be thought of as "adding" HP. If thousands of people see a HP "increase/gain/add" on dyno tests on the same dyno on the same day by simply using a less restrictive air filter and not changing any other factors, then what's your theory on why that's happening?

Look, you're trying to draw a conclusion or establish a justification on performance differential based on YouTube.
Sorry, but that's not how it's done.

Cheers!!!
Why don't you do the same testing yourself and prove it to yourself. Flat earthers never will believe the earth is round until they prove it to themselves.

Word semantic games ... something causing an increase in HP can be though of as "adding" HP. If thousands of people see a HP "increase/gain/add" on dyno tests on the same dyno on the same day by simply using a less restrictive air filter and not changing any other factors, then what's your theory on why that's happening?

No, in scientific and engineering terminology, words have specific and detailed meanings with qualifications that do not apply in general conversation specifically to avoid the misunderstandings you are suffering from and illustrating in your post.. This is not "semantics".

Its more proof positive that illustrates the points I have made.

You obviously have no concept of experiment controls either ( or inputs etc)

As i asked before- do you personally have any formal training and experience in legitimate engineering reviewed studies in any discipline? If the answer is no then you might do better to listen and learn.

On that theory- an open window increasing volume of available air changing a parameter, heat change in ambient air, 10,000 other potential control points- any one of which could alter the test or influence the results.

I'm trying to work through the variable controls - to me it would be environmental, the fan speed for the dyno room, etc. Same car, same fuel, same dyno, swapping filters between runs with back/forth repeats, and same time cooling down between runs for the heat soak aspect. The pulls are usually 4th gear 2K to redline. You can monitor timing/boost/etc. to ensure consistency/no issues with timing pull. Not much else to control really to me? The repeats are what handles a lot of it - so much of what I see is a single run of one filter and then a single run of another filter. Needs lots of runs to average out all those hard-to-control variables.
Yes ... simple stuff, yet some can't gasp or explain why 1000s of similar dyno tests keep showing more HP with more air flow going into the engine. Another thing is to monitor the air flow/mass sensor and the A/F ratio to see what those are also doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back