The Great Cylinder Wall Mystery (and MORE!)

PNG image 4.jpg
PNG image 2.jpg

There is some carbon present (mowing grass and kicking *** since 2008). Where are the crosshatch marks on my GCV160’s cylinder walls? Instead there is a repeating ring pattern that runs along the surface. Also, this engine does not consume a significant amount of oil between services and runs normally.

Wonder if it was honed differently? As in, instead of a cross hatch, well, this. Those grooves could hold oil easily enough.

Just really odd looking.

Are those lines at the top of the cylinder, and not traversed by the top ring at TDC? I don't know how far down the top ring is, but being non-road engine, I'd assume that it doesn't have to pass emissions like a car engine does, thus it could have a low mounted ring, for all I know. No idea why the top of the cylinder would be machined differently than the rest of the cylinder, though.

Guessing that is 100% normal and fine. Borescopes make for strange images, often highlighting things excessively. Aluminum bores receive treatment to withstand the wear and tear of operation. I honestly think that's how it's made.

hon-12000-z8b-901.jpg

Back