The Drive : MOBIL1 Annual Protection failure ...

Originally Posted by Marco620
As a current M1 user, they need to drop the Mobil Super Syn line.

Agree.

So now they will have Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP good for 20k miles. Makes much more sense.

Originally Posted by Marco620
As a current M1 user, they need to drop the Mobil Super Syn line.

I think it started as some way to balance loads of AC Delco oils … hence the familiar bottle. In order to bid for future contracts for GM FF and dealer stock … they might keep some entry level capabilities alive.
The EHC upgrades were a Dexos enabler too … another thing to balance between self use and many buyers.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
M1,EP and HM are all they need.

Agree.

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
M1,EP and HM are all they need.

Agree.

I'll third that! I use EP for the full 15,000 miles, too.

OK, now my curiosity is raised, as I love Annual Protection in the 0W-20 grade.

You all are talking about the elimination of Annual Protection from the Mobil 1 product line as if it is a done deal. Where is this information coming from? It makes sense, given it HAS been a marketing failure for Mobil - but I have not seen its discontinuance mentioned anywhere except here. So that's my first question - is this official or just rumor?

Second question - If they are going to eliminate Annual Protection and keep extended performance in the lineup, will the formulation of Annual Protection simply be labeled Extended Performance, or are they completely eliminating the Annual Protection formulation, or will they re-formulate Extended Performance? In other words, can I obtain the formulation of Annual Protection in the Extended Performance label after this change takes place?

Hi, yes Mobil 1 Annual Protection is going away for good. Mobil 1 EP will now be their flagship oil and will be good for 20,000 miles or one year. It will incorporate the formulation from AP and also be upgraded to the new SP/GF-6. No rumors, confirmed.

Well, it actually sounds like sleight of hand. AP will be rebranded as EP. No wonder this thread is confusing plus the title keeps changing.

Yeah it became a mess.

It's essentially - Mobil 1/AFE - 10,000 miles, Mobil 1 Extended Performance - 20,000 miles.

Then the Euro/ESP stuff etc.....

Overkill post way out in left field but here goes.. Get rid of mobil super all together. Get rid of dexos labels and just say it meets the criteria and save everyone including the consumer some time, money and confusion. All these additional oils for trucks only, etc are essentially the same. Im of the opinion that more choices creates more stupidity. M1, m1 hm or m1ep and that's it.
Same goes for Redline OE and Amsoil OE and XL. Get rid of it as well as conventional oil too.

Im of the opinion that more choices creates more stupidity

I agree it creates more confusion.

Im of the opinion that more choices creates more stupidity

I agree it creates more confusion.

I agree. Pennzoil are you reading this?

Will Mobil EP be priced like current EP or current AP after AP goes away?

I find it perplexing that the oil manufacturers are recommending ever extending OCI capability (10K to 15K to 20K) while newer engine technology (GDI and small turbo-charged engines) are requiring more frequent oil changes due to soot, fuel dilution etc...

I would never go 15 or 20K in my GDI Focus regardless of oil used....in fact I'm thinking more frequent changes (5 to 7K) with lesser priced synthetics or even syn-blends (like the FF Motorcraft) may be better to avoid IVD's.

Originally Posted by pbm
Will Mobil EP be priced like current EP or current AP after AP goes away?

I find it perplexing that the oil manufacturers are recommending ever extending OCI capability (10K to 15K to 20K) while newer engine technology (GDI and small turbo-charged engines) are requiring more frequent oil changes due to soot, fuel dilution etc...

I would never go 15 or 20K in my GDI Focus regardless of oil used....in fact I'm thinking more frequent changes (5 to 7K) with lesser priced synthetics or even syn-blends (like the FF Motorcraft) may be better to avoid IVD's.

I don't know the price. Oil is cheap, even the boutique brands.

I understand where you're coming from. I still would rather have a top notch oil even at 5-7k mile drains. Base oil quality matters with IVD's in terms of Noack and oxidation resistance. I think how you drive the car makes a huge difference.

Manufactures should just all go to a PFI/GDI system. Makes little sense to strictly be just DI IMO.

Is it really that complicated. Claimed 20k mile/yearly oil changes isn't appealing to most people. Most people aren't going to trust an oil to 20k miles no matter what its make up is. At best you can expect to a superior oil for normal oil changes...but not at a $10-15 premium over other synthetics.

Yeah it became a mess.

It's essentially - Mobil 1/AFE - 10,000 miles, Mobil 1 Extended Performance - 20,000 miles.

Then the Euro/ESP stuff etc.....

Which is what Mobil should have done in the first place. Having all these separate lines of oil makes no sense whatsoever and ultimately likely reduces their market share not improves it.

The other thing that jumps out is the fact that some/most/many people have only just now moved up to a 10K OCI much less 20K and how many years did it take to go from 3K OCI to 5K to 7.5K to 10K? I also agree with others that GDI is not a design to extend OCIs and then there are warranties to consider so 20K OCIs are not practical for many.

Originally Posted by stanlee
Is it really that complicated. Claimed 20k mile/yearly oil changes isn't appealing to most people. Most people aren't going to trust an oil to 20k miles no matter what its make up is. At best you can expect to a superior oil for normal oil changes...but not at a $10-15 premium over other synthetics.

Very true. Great thoughts Stanlee!! I think 15k is pushing it. People aren't checking oil levels and to achieve even 15k almost demands top offs when necessary, premium operating temperature and driving situations, no aftermarket parts, etc. Just keep it simple stupid with a reasonable oci.

I think (2) Mobil 1 tiers is all that is needed. 10k, 20k. Done.

20k doesn't mean you should necessarily go 20k miles. It is a good indication of quality and level of performance.

I was all set to order a 5 qt, jug of Mobil 1 5W-30 AP for my next oil change. Now Amazon shows it as out of stock/no longer available, The best price I have found online is about $59 delivered. If I find any on closeout pricing I'll buy a couple of jugs but as of yesterday pricing is still pretty high.
Does anyone know when we can expect the reformulated 5W-30 EP with the SP/GF6 rating to hit the market ?

Back