The Discount Tire Rotation Experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add me to the list of happy campers.

In early 2007 I found a nail in the outside of the tread of one of the tires on my Malibu. The tires were OEM, had about 50K on them and I was starting to think about replacement anyway. Called the store nearest my house, they had the tires I wanted in stock so I went over. The promised me "about an hour" to do the work so I fired up my laptop and started working. Exactly an hour later, they call my name to tell me that the car was done. Been back to that dealer and another one near my Mom's for the free rotations, and on the last time I was there at the time they did my car to see the wire-brushing that was mentioned earlier.

Not completely happy with the Kumho's I bought, but that's not the store's fault and I'll definitely be back when it's time for a replacement.

DT has always been a good tire shop. Usually I can show them my ASE card and tell them I want to watch the guy do the work and they'll let me out there. I talk to the manager and let him know that I drive the car hard and am not easy on tires, so I want to make sure everything is done correctly. They almost always give in and let me out in the shop even if they put up a litte resistence at the beginning.

If the guy does a good job and doesn't [censored] about me watching him I'll give him a $10. Sometimes I'll come back the next morning with donuts if they're really cool about stuff.

One time back in 1999 I sat around for almost 2 hours waiting for some tires to be put on a friends car that I wa helping him out with. I talked to the manager for about 20 minutes about it and he eventually let me do it all myself. I dismounted, mounted & balanced all the tires in about 20 minutes. He gave me a discount on the price since I did the work myself. Then he asked me if I wanted a job, LOL.

I also have been very impressed with DT service and professionalism...for over a decade of great service.

The Road Force Balancing is an excellent option.

I also use Tire Kingdom in south Florida for my Mom's cars since the have a rotation / alignment package that works well for me in terms of keeping her cars better maintained.

My Mom's 91 years old I like to know that the tires , inflation, alignment get inspected every 5K and the oil gets changed with synthetic at the same time.

I think Tire Kingdom varies a bit more store to store and also on pricing, but there are some good TK stores also

Last edited:
Thought I'd update my latest visit to DT for a rotation and balance for an 01 Civic. Not much has changed, met me in the parking lot just as I got out of the car and took my mileage info and what service I wanted. They pulled the car right in, but one difference this time when I looked up the trunk was open and they pulled the doughnut spare and aired it up and put it back, certain it was low. I checked the brake pads with the wheels off, not an issue with DT.

Still used pneumatic wire wheel brushes to clean hubs. The DT purchased Yoko Avid Touring S's were rotated, balanced, remounted and lugs torqued in a jiffy, ~20 minutes total time. Still superb service.

While there a customer came in with a nail in tire and asked if DT plugged tires, response was plug/patch was used and no charge. I asked the rep if they repaired all tires free of charge, he said yes no matter if a DT purchase or not, as long as it's repairable, and in the repair zone on the tire. I had long read that free tire repair was plug/patch was standard but confirmed it today for myself.

Again, consistently excellent service, very professional and I've found no reason to buy tires elsewhere.

We have a Discount Tire opening in my part of the KC metro soon. Pretty sure this is the first in the KC area. I will need tires this fall, and will give them a look-see and give them a shot at my business.

Just a word of advice, before going to the DT store have all your low dollar tire pricing information from all sources to get your best price, price match. The DT online prices are just a reference point, don't think I've ever paid the online list price.

And they often have $100 off rebate promotions on a set of 4 tires if you can wait. Also the DT Care One CC gives you at least 6 months interest free to pay off, and $30-$60 off for using it for the purchase is another promo bonus.

I Luv DT....but... they didn't properly balance at least 2 of my wheels. Slight vibe at my last rotation. Took it back to get the front re balanced. Noticed an additional weight on the front wheel but the car still vibrated. Drove it 6000 and just had my rotation and the vibe stops. So,the problem is on the 2 wheels rotated to the rear. Take my car to my Honda dealer,explain the problem and ask them to check the,existing,balance,before,they re balance and surprise,surprise,the the wheels,that had been on the front were,both,way out of balance!

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Thought I'd update my latest visit to DT for a rotation and balance for an 01 Civic. Not much has changed, met me in the parking lot just as I got out of the car and took my mileage info and what service I wanted. They pulled the car right in, but one difference this time when I looked up the trunk was open and they pulled the doughnut spare and aired it up and put it back, certain it was low. I checked the brake pads with the wheels off, not an issue with DT.

Still used pneumatic wire wheel brushes to clean hubs. The DT purchased Yoko Avid Touring S's were rotated, balanced, remounted and lugs torqued in a jiffy, ~20 minutes total time. Still superb service.

While there a customer came in with a nail in tire and asked if DT plugged tires, response was plug/patch was used and no charge. I asked the rep if they repaired all tires free of charge, he said yes no matter if a DT purchase or not, as long as it's repairable, and in the repair zone on the tire. I had long read that free tire repair was plug/patch was standard but confirmed it today for myself.

Again, consistently excellent service, very professional and I've found no reason to buy tires elsewhere.

Interesting that they brush the hubs. I've not seen that though mine are maintained with a thin coat of copper antiseize.

We're yours very rusty?

Around here, pep boys plugs tires free.

Discount Tire is the ONLY place I buy from. The prices, service, professionalism and courtesy they provide is top notch.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Interesting that they brush the hubs. I've not seen that though mine are maintained with a thin coat of copper antiseize.

We're yours very rusty?......

No, not really rusty, they just 'buff up/buff off' the hubs much as standard procedure now. First time I saw it though back when I first started this thread I was surprised, it was a first for me. If any minor rust has hit the alloy wheel backs from the hub they'll do that too. But no, not much serious rusting around here.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Discount Tire is the ONLY place I buy from. The prices, service, professionalism and courtesy they provide is top notch.

I'm on the same page.

01.gif

We don't have a Discount Tire Store in my area but, I hear many good things about them. I do buy from DTD amongst other online stores such as TR.

The *Walmart that I frequent for my tire instalation goes the extra mile when I bring in my own tires from my DTD or TR pruchace.

W*M dismounts the old tires, clean the inside bead of the wheels, apply a sealer to the bead, then installs new valve stems and my new tires, and balance(spin/static) the tires. I don't know the differences in balancing techniques/machines

They always ask if the new tires are unidirectional(just so they're aware) or if I want a particular sidewall showing(as some tires have different sidewall designs on either side) or, if I want my old tires back.

All for ~$12/tire with lifetime balance/rotation. Flat repair is extra. And, they'll throw away my old tires for FREE w/o charging the NYS tire disposal fee. W*M only charges the NYS fee when buying their tires, not when you bring in your own. Hmmmm! I hope this doesn't change even though it's only $2.50/tire.

Last edited:
Hello, HOLY COW! ! I'm going online right now and see if there's a Discount Tire near me (No. New Jersey, say, 15 mile radius from Hackensack, NJ). If these people are half as good as you say they are.....Kira

Just a word of advice, before going to the DT store have all your low dollar tire pricing information from all sources to get your best price, price match. The DT online prices are just a reference point, don't think I've ever paid the online list price.

And they often have $100 off rebate promotions on a set of 4 tires if you can wait. Also the DT Care One CC gives you at least 6 months interest free to pay off, and $30-$60 off for using it for the purchase is another promo bonus.

+1 I have done this with each set of tires I have bought from them and always gotten a better price than what they had advertised. And if you buy the certs they will negotiate on those prices pretty hard too. I think they (my store at least) has some of the best customer service of any business out there.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

We're yours very rusty?

Around here, pep boys plugs tires free.

Every time I used to go to DT to get the tires on my old Grand Prix they used to wire brush the hubs. They would also apply some type of product to the threads on random studs. To see if the lug nuts had been removed during the service interval id assume, like the torque seal some quick lubes use on drain plugs to cover their buts that if the seal is broken they know its been tampered with an avoid claims that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back