The Despicable Reason Behind Raw Milk Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: J_Sap
Humans have only started drink and eating pasteurized and processed foods very recently, what happened to all the millions of people who lived before that did not have these processes.

They got sick more often and died earlier.

Originally Posted By: cchase
I'm not a big fan of government telling me what I can and cannot do. To me, if I want to buy milk from the farmer that's my right and not the governments business.

+1

Humans have only started drink and eating pasteurized and processed foods very recently, what happened to all the millions of people who lived before that did not have these processes. I grew up in a town with a lot of apple orchards and all the apple cider I got there was unpasteurized. It taste much better than the stuff you could get at a supermarket.

And millions were sickened and thousands died over the years without pasteurized products. You have to be kidding.... drinking unpasteurized apple cider??? With all the bacteria, bug parts & pooh, bird pooh, animal pooh in it??? It is a good thing that that too has been banned for public sale unless pasteurized.

I suggest taking a trip to a cemetery. An old one from the turn of the century up to the 1960s. Go and count the number of infants & kids under five there. They were struck down by polio, diptheria, small pox, pertussus, rubella and a dozen other diseases. Some only lived for days. Thanks to the FDA, scientists, researchers who have found ways to almost eliminate these child hood plagues.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

That's fine, but the article you posted in support of that perspective is terrible.

I'm not surprised you or others didn't like it, but a few of us do like it, and believe it to be true.

Personally, I believe much of what I read at mercola.com. He's very devoted to diet and health, and his health as well as his clients' health reflects it.

If people just dabble in their health, they may be better off to avoid raw milk. But, if they devote to their health, they most likely have an immune system that can easily deal with any pathogens in raw milk.

The trouble is that many people eat way too much dead food : Pasteurized milk, cooked grains, cooked vegs, cooked fruit, cooked meat, etc., etc., and they get no enzymes. Enzymes are life itself, and when we run out of them, it's game over.

Originally Posted By: Silber Igel
I'm not a big fan of government telling me what I can and cannot do. To me, if I want to buy milk from the farmer that's my right and not the governments business.

+1

Humans have only started drink and eating pasteurized and processed foods very recently, what happened to all the millions of people who lived before that did not have these processes. I grew up in a town with a lot of apple orchards and all the apple cider I got there was unpasteurized. It taste much better than the stuff you could get at a supermarket.

And millions were sickened and thousands died over the years without pasteurized products. You have to be kidding.... drinking unpasteurized apple cider??? With all the bacteria, bug parts & pooh, bird pooh, animal pooh in it??? It is a good thing that that too has been banned for public sale unless pasteurized.

I suggest taking a trip to a cemetery. An old one from the turn of the century up to the 1960s. Go and count the number of infants & kids under five there. They were struck down by polio, diptheria, small pox, pertussus, rubella and a dozen other diseases. Some only lived for days. Thanks to the FDA, scientists, researchers who have found ways to almost eliminate these child hood plagues.

Raw milk doesn't have anything to do with using medicines and vaccines...
We milk our goat once a day and don't pasteurize the milk. It's just run through a fine screen to get the odd hair out, and it is in no way a "sterile" operation. But we use it up in the next day or two so the good bacteria and enzymes in the milk have no trouble keeping the bad bacteria in check. I've been in a few local dairy farm barns and it makes me a bit nervous on how much they rely on pasteurization, and I can imagine what goes into the apple press at a factory run by minimum wage labour where they will pasturize the cider... Think dead mice, etc...
Our local apple yard makes unpasteurized cider and you can watch the whole process through the window and talk to the guy making it. They apples are washed and hand sorted as bad apples will throw off the flavour. It tastes 10 times better then the stuff in the store.
We still get our immunizations and are fairly normal people that happen to like good food and like to know where it comes from.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
a few of us do like it, and believe it to be true.

...and are either unwilling or unable to defend its content.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

...and are either unwilling or unable to defend its content.

I post what I believe to be good info / opinion. You have a right to disagree and reply with your opinion, as we all do, but whether I'm unwilling or unable to defend its content or not, your opinion is just that - an opinion, and not the last word on this or anything else.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Raw milk doesn't have anything to do with using medicines and vaccines...
We milk our goat once a day and don't pasteurize the milk. It's just run through a fine screen to get the odd hair out, and it is in no way a "sterile" operation. But we use it up in the next day or two so the good bacteria and enzymes in the milk have no trouble keeping the bad bacteria in check.

Raw milk doesn't spoil, it only sours, and I used to drink soured raw milk all the time, and it was very healthy. Pasteurized milk rots, and needs to be thrown away, but soured milk only gets healthier, if I'm not mistaken. The good bacteria are what multiplies when raw milk sours, even more so if pro-biotics are added.. Many people used to leave raw milk at room temp for a few days to intentionally sour it and drink it.

It's a shame that people have forgotten the healthy ways our ancestors used to eat. My Grandpa had his own cow for years, that my aunt used to walk to pasture 1/2 a mile every day. They also had fresh eggs, chickens, vegetables, fruit trees, butter, you name it, all good whole foods that are getting harder and harder to find all the time.

Originally Posted By: Lurch

I drank lots of raw milk when I lived in NH, and went to pick it up at the small farms myself. I realized there was a risk I could get sick from it, but I never got sick from it, in fact I seemed to get healthier. I'd be drinking it today if I still lived up there.

I don't care what the FDA and CDC have to say about it. I don't believe they have the public's best interest in mind. I believe the almighty dollar has them by the b____s.

I had an uncle that smoked three packs of cigarettes and drank a bottle of gin each day. He lived well into his 80s.

Originally Posted By: Silber Igel

+1

My issue is that it's my business and mine only if I want to buy unpasteurized milk or cider from a local farmer, not yours or anyone elses. And I would stand by that. I purchase unpasteurized cider every fall and will continue to do so as I believe it tastes better and is reasonably safe. If you choose not to, let it be your choice. Not the governments.

My issue is that it's my business and mine only if I want to buy unpasteurized milk or cider from a local farmer, not yours or anyone elses. And I would stand by that. I purchase unpasteurized cider every fall and will continue to do so as I believe it tastes better and is reasonably safe. If you choose not to, let it be your choice. Not the governments.

As long as your decision doesn't impact me (like not immunizing your kid), I really don't care--and I agree, it should be your choice.

But the title of this thread is ridiculous. The "despicable reason" behind banning raw milk is most likely a misguided sense of providing for public safety, not some tinfoil hat conspiracy to stop .05% of the milk trade from taking over...

And this isn't some vast federal conspiracy, as is suggested in that "article", these decisions are handled at the state level--and state representatives aren't that hard to reach. If you have an issue with it, pick up the phone.

WA state seems to have it down, IMO. You can buy raw milk, but the producers are licensed and regulated, and there's a warning label on the bottle. Those seem like reasonable requirements.

As far as govt. being in the business of food regulation though? I'm glad. I know it's popular to hate everything government, but I really don't have time to visit every meat processor, apple grower or farmer from whom I buy product (do you?), so I'm glad that collectively it's done. Food is pretty safe in this country, and we have regulation to thank for it. It's not a perfect system by any means, but I prefer it to the alternative.

So, if you really aren't happy with the raw milk situation in your state, do something about it.

I'm honestly trying to figure out why the feds are concerned about something that has a warning label on it-you pay (overpay IMHO) for it, you know the risks going in-if you die, you die. Not much different from eating too much of the wrong foods, failing to get enough exercise, never seeing your doctor, etc.-other things which are likely to kill you as well! The FDA needs to worry a little more about drug testing & let this one slide-to the state level.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I'm honestly trying to figure out why the feds are concerned about something that has a warning label on it-you pay (overpay IMHO) for it, you know the risks going in-if you die, you die.

Please....stop this nonsense! "The Feds" and "the FDA" are not regulating raw milk, it's left to the states. The FDA is the reason you have the warning label on it! This is more "big government" fear-mongering.

Humans have only started drink and eating pasteurized and processed foods very recently, what happened to all the millions of people who lived before that did not have these processes.

They died before age 25, for the most part.

Look, I'm all for freedom of choice. If you want to risk parasites and bacteria in raw milk, you should be free to do so. And you ARE- just buy raw milk from a producer.

And that's really the rub- if you can buy FRESH raw milk, its relatively safe provided the cattle are healthy and you consume it quickly. Now try to think about what would happen if you pumped non-Pasteurized milk through the whole milk distribution system, and Joe Consumer picked up a gallon a couple of weeks after it came out of the cow. All the proteins and sugars in milk are a perfect petri dish for a couple of bacteria left on the cow's udder to multiply into a whole little bacteria civilization in the gallon of milk over time. Ick.

Agreed... sort of . Even our nice clean healthy cows in nice deep green pastures soon chose to lay down with their bags in a fresh cowpie.. or drag their bags through it... cleaning teats/bags before milking is sometimes a dirty, filthy, disgusting job. After 40 cows, how clean is the cleaning equipment and rags... I suspect the E-Coli count in cowpies is a huge number!!

When the five people in my area got Brucellosis, ... they were the only ones that I knew that drank the milk before it was pasteurized at our creamery. We processed 150,000 lbs of milk each day, those 5 probably drank about 5 lbs of it.
Imagine the numbers if we had sold it state wide!!!

This thread is being locked because it is going down hill and each member has their own opinion concerning milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back