Organic Milk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yes, if you search the New Scientist stuff from a decade or more ago, this was discussed...cows that eat pasture have lots of Omega 3, better trace minerals etc....a couple of weeks on grain, and the Omega 6s take over in the meat, and the milk lacks nutrients...

Amazing that herbivores eating grass are more healthy/natural...

Here in the US they add more stuff to it. I buy Simple truth organic Omega-3 DHA/ EPA from Kroger’s. They add Fish oil from anchovy and sardine. They also add fish gelatin to the milk. This one though has only 32mg EPA/DHA Omega-3 Fatty Acids per serving. They also sell plain organic milk.

I also get 8 FL OZ containers of Horizon milk with DHA for my children. It also has 32mg EPA/DHA Omega-3 Fatty Acids per serving. Horizon adds DHA algal Oil to their milk. Their DHA comes from plant-based source.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I don't know about you, but by me almond milk is the same price as organic milk. It's a lot healthier in many respects: lower fat, higher calcium, extra vitamins, less sugar, etc.

FWIW, I drank "regular" milk my whole life and I did not develop lactose intolerance or any other health issues. Tens of millions of people can say the same. I only recently started buying organic because it was ultra-pasteurized and keeps longer (due to my travel schedule). Within the past few weeks I noticed the almond milk was priced similarly and was healthier, so I've been buying that.

I'm not terribly concerned with getting the extra Omega-3s and such in organic milk because I eat a diet that already provides me with those. If you think you are truly deficient in that area, you can always get a supplement or just make a tiny adjustment to your diet.

We also keep almond milk around and my wife and I use it interchangeably when we do have milk on cereal or something. We aren't big milk people. Im not sure that the almond product would make good yogurt though. Maybe so??!?

We arent worried about the omega-3s but were when our baby was really young and it was advised against seafood. We still fed some, but it was very limited. Now were pretty open with any food except a few like honey... But figure the supplementation is a good thing regardless.

Originally Posted By: Billy007

Here in the US they add more stuff to it. I buy Simple truth organic Omega-3 DHA/ EPA from Kroger’s. They add Fish oil from anchovy and sardine. They also add fish gelatin to the milk. This one though has only 32mg EPA/DHA Omega-3 Fatty Acids per serving. They also sell plain organic milk.

I also get 8 FL OZ containers of Horizon milk with DHA for my children. It also has 32mg EPA/DHA Omega-3 Fatty Acids per serving. Horizon adds DHA algal Oil to their milk. Their DHA comes from plant-based source.

OK, great point... Thanks. Stupid me, didn't even look at the ingredients list. Yep, sure enough, on the kirkland and the shop rite stuff, it states clearly that fish oil is added.

So if I dissolve a 500mg krill oil capsule into a half gallon of milk, I guess its about the same thing
smile.gif

Or put a few drops in the cup of milk we provide...

OK, that answers that. Whole food glass, or if Im not afraid of it, Wegmans milk in plastic gallons seems cheapest around...

Never looked into the local dairies for whole milk, just looked for fresh, glass jar milk, which I can get. I know one of the dairies near my parents sells it... Im sure I can get it from a local farmer too. Will look into it. Maybe not for baby though... will see.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Yeah right, don't drink pastuerized milk. Let's go back to the days of disease laced milk. Pastuerization caught on for a reason back in the old day. You do know the cow udders get infected at times from irritation by the milking machines and pus can end up in milk, right? Let me have some of that unpastuerized pus laced milk. Yum ! !

I drink a lot of fully pastueurized retail skim milk out of plastic jugs bought right from the grocery dairy shelf and I feel pretty doggone good. Yum, think I'll go have a glass right now!

Yes I realize that. I also said that pasteurization is better for the masses. Why I said that is because commercial operations don't care that much about the cow's health. A small time operation or hand milked cow is better cared for and less likely to get infections, hence the not necessarily... I've had raw goat's milk and countless thousands of old timers had raw cow's milk on the farm and not had any repercussions. A little care and paying attention can go a long way.

Well, she wasn't as much help as I thought she'd be. Suggested the obvious- looking for the Certified Organic label. Products carrying that label won't have various chems, and hormones given to the animal or plant it's sourced from. One thing to really watch for are labels stating "Organic" "Natural" or "All Natural". Without the Certified Organic stamp, it really could be anything. As it pertains to milk, No RBGH, and no antibiotics. Also, like others, she suggested looking for a local dairy close by and buy from them if possible.

I'm sure you already know most of this, but thought I would pass it along anyway.

Aren't the levels of hormones present in the milk the same for rBST treated cows as for the ones that aren't given the drug? Not that it's good for the cow mind you, but can you analyze the milk and tell if the cow was treated with the hormone?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Well, she wasn't as much help as I thought she'd be. Suggested the obvious- looking for the Certified Organic label. Products carrying that label won't have various chems, and hormones given to the animal or plant it's sourced from. One thing to really watch for are labels stating "Organic" "Natural" or "All Natural". Without the Certified Organic stamp, it really could be anything. As it pertains to milk, No RBGH, and no antibiotics. Also, like others, she suggested looking for a local dairy close by and buy from them if possible.

That's a good question. Whatever hormones are present in a cow are both natural and at a much lower level.

The RBG hormone is a synthetic hormone that is given regularly throughout the cow's life and at much higher levels than the cow would normally experience. The first couple of downsides to this that I can think of would be the hormones effects on our bodies and also the cow's bodies. No female of any kind was meant to pregnant all her life. This hormone tricks the cow's body into thinking that, so it will lactate all the time and at much greater levels than normal. One side effect is mastitis, which leads to the blood and puss that another poster mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back