The desert is starting to bloom.

About once a month or so I walk my property. Looking for anything out of the ordinary,trash etc. Did my walk to day and only found desert plants blooming.

The last pic is looking at my house from the SE corner of my lot.

IMG_20220424_163439572.jpg
IMG_20220424_163312284_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220424_163228487_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220424_163122955_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220424_162240753_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, talk about being barren. I would expect to see Marshall Dillon crawing in the sand whispering for water.

Over here it is the Mohave Desert. Not much moisture this year, so fewer flowers. People who do not live in the desert cannot understand those of us who do, nor do they understand what a desert is. They think a desert is flat and sandy. Far from both.
We have lots of birds to watch,rocks to check out etc. Place to be if you enjoy those.

We have lots of birds to watch,rocks to check out etc. Place to be if you enjoy those.
I thought about mentioning the quail, roadrunners, rabbits, ground squirrels, gila monsters, chuckwallas, deer, elk, burros, wild horses, big horn sheep and even an occasional rattlesnake. But the subject was the flora, not the fauna. As for rocks, check out Finger Rock on Hwy 68 coming up out of Laughlin/Bullhead City. I would post a picture, but I might get in trouble if I did.

Edit: I should not have left out coyotes, buzzards, ravens, hawks, javelinas (I have never seen one), tarantulas (a desert favorite, no kidding) and sometimes a desert tortoise slowly crossisng Route 66.

Last edited:
I thought about mentioning the quail, roadrunners, rabbits, ground squirrels, gila monsters, chuckwallas, deer, elk, burros, wild horses, big horn sheep and even an occasional rattlesnake. But the subject was the flora, not the fauna. As for rocks, check out Finger Rock on Hwy 68 coming up out of Laughlin/Bullhead City. I would post a picture, but I might get in trouble if I did.

Edit: I should not have left out coyotes, buzzards, ravens, hawks, javelinas (I have never seen one), tarantulas (a desert favorite, no kidding) and sometimes a desert tortoise slowly crossisng Route 66.
This guy hangs around a lot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210608-170007.jpg
    Screenshot_20210608-170007.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 15
Over here it is the Mohave Desert. Not much moisture this year, so fewer flowers. People who do not live in the desert cannot understand those of us who do, nor do they understand what a desert is. They think a desert is flat and sandy. Far from both.
This past year has been one of the windiest I can remember. It seems we've had more wind this year than at any other time I can remember in the Colorado River Valley.

We've also had quite a few high / low temperature swings that come with them. Now that we're getting close to Summer I suspect that as soon as we bust 100 F for the first time, it will heat up and stay calm and hot. For me it can't come soon enough.

Most all of the snowbirds here are gone, and the stores and streets are way less crowded. And the shelves are much better stocked.... And there aren't duallies pulling 30 ft. stagecoaches, taking up 6 parking spaces at Wal-Mart.

Have you ever come across a Indian artifact ? Pottery shards or arrowheads ? Love the west .

If you go upriver from Lake Havasu you will find hieroglyphics on the canyon walls that have been there hundreds of years. (Perhaps longer), They're visible from a boat or jet ski as you go north out of Lake Havasu, up the river toward Topock.

As far as arrowheads and such. A lot of that stuff has been picked clean by "desert explorers" over the last several decades. More so today with all of the dune buggy's, ATV's, dirt bikes, and sand rails that have invaded the desert in recent years.

These vehicles make the desert far more accessible than it was years ago. But it comes with a price. We lose several people every year who don't take to the desert prepared. They break down off the beaten path, don't tell anyone where they're going, and many wind up dead before they even start looking for them.

In the dead of Summer in the Mohave Desert, your survival time is measured in hours, not days if you're not fully prepared. Many aren't, and unfortunately they pay the price. Between the desert and the boating accidents, we lose several a year.

If you go upriver from Lake Havasu you will find hieroglyphics on the canyon walls that have been there hundreds of years. (Perhaps longer), They're visible from a boat or jet ski as you go north out of Lake Havasu, up the river toward Topock.

As far as arrowheads and such. A lot of that stuff has been picked clean by "desert explorers" over the last several decades. More so today with all of the dune buggy's, ATV's, dirt bikes, and sand rails that have invaded the desert in recent years.

These vehicles make the desert far more accessible than it was years ago. But it comes with a price. We lose several people every year who don't take to the desert prepared. They break down off the beaten path, don't tell anyone where they're going, and many wind up dead before they even start looking for them.

In the dead of Summer in the Mohave Desert, your survival time is measured in hours, not days if you're not fully prepared. Many aren't, and unfortunately they pay the price. Between the desert and the boating accidents, we lose several a year.

People die in Death Valley every year. Sometimes even during the winter when the temperatures are fairly cool. I've heard of impromptu plans to go roadside camping (which is legal off of dirt roads) where someone died. Of course the majority of deaths there seem to be European visitors thinking they'll challenge themselves by going hiking during the hottest part of the year.

Back