The Critic was spot on; it was the spool valve. Whatever that is...

Referring to my post about my niece's 2015 Odyssey Timing Belt, Michael (aka @The Critic ) pointed to the V6 engine's front spool valve.
Well, I got my first chance to check the work. Wendy told me she still smelled the burning oil.

Yep; there is fresh oil around the dipstick pad area. Michael gave me good advice on the repair, so I get to use my 1/4 torque wrench. I am not 100% sure where to source the parts (Honda or aftermarket), but that's no biggie. At least this time I have access to work on her Oddy...

All good.

For the gaskets that go in and around the oil pump/spool valve area, OEM. There are a few orings in that area where you can use something aftermarket, but if you don't have a box full of o-rings to match it up with, just order the OEM part. It will be much easier to get the right thing the first time.

My memory is fuzzy on the o-ring thing, that might have been the wife's F-Series motor I used one on, but I thought there was one on the J-Series, its just been a min since I did one.

Get OE from one of the online OEM Discounters, Honda Parts Now, Sons, Bernardi (SP) etc.
OEMPartSourc.com has been my go-to for parts for my Honda CR-V. 90% of the time if you tally up the totals of all the different sites including shipping, they end up being the best bargain for original Honda parts and fluids. Try to order everything you will need in one order. That way the shipping for any online parts supplier ends up not being such a big hit.

Try local dealers. Many are more competitive than you think plus when you factor in shipping, it may be a wash price-wise...

BTW, OEM requires you to know in advance the part number. One of the best places I have found Honda part numbers is to go on e-bay and search for the part under the name, then pull up the items and see if the part no. is listed. At least OEM has a part of their site that lets you confirm that the part you are choosing fits the vehicle if you enter in the make year and model.

BTW, OEM requires you to know in advance the part number. One of the best places I have found Honda part numbers is to go on e-bay and search for the part under the name, then pull up the items and see if the part no. is listed. At least OEM has a part of their site that lets you confirm that the part you are choosing fits the vehicle if you enter in the make year and model.
Let me take a SWAG at it.... 15810-R70-A04

@The Critic don't mess around.

FYI since she is from the Bay Area have her take a ride to Acura Honda connection in San Jose. Very good pricing and a great group of people if she can’t afford dealership pricing

You can't buy that spool valve gaskets separately from Honda. You have to buy the whole valve to get the gaskets.

As much as I prefer OEM I bought aftermarket gaskets for $6-7 and mine have been leak free since. Screenshot_20211218-232741_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The spool valve was one of the many parts that was leaking oil on the 06 Acura TL I bought a few months back. The screen gasket and two small o-rings on the solenoid that is attached to the valve were replaced.

Ahh.... Did I ever say he wasn't a good guy ??

Think about that...

Of course he's really cool and a good guy.

He sent me a pm one time which was very nice.

Too bad I live 3,000 miles away from him otherwise I would have gladly taken him up on his offer.

Last edited:
Ahh.... Did I ever say he wasn't a good guy ??

Think about that...

Of course he's really cool and a good guy.

He sent me a pm one time which was very nice.

Too bad I live 3,000 miles away from him otherwise I would have gladly taken him up on his offer.
Well said. Michael is aces.
I shoulda brought my nieces Oddy to him when he offered... Oops!

I just replaced the Spool Valve. Super easy, as @The Critic advised.
Honda really needs to offer the gaskets by themselves. Or the aftermarket should step up.

The only issue was removing the 1st bolt; it felt like I twisted off the head instead of breaking torque. But all was good.
As a tip, I highly suggest posting your issue on BITOG if you are not 100 % sure or are new to a given car.
You just might save some splash cash.
Don't ask me how I know...

Back