The cold weather has gelled my diesel fuel.

I think I have gelled diesel fuel in my truck. It started and went a couple of miles before the engine stopped. Put a white bottle of Power Service diesel additive in the tank and a red bottle of 911 Rescue. No change. Occasionally will start and idle for a few seconds then stop again. Do I need to change out the filter? Any suggestions are appreciated.

most likely yes. Whatever crud was in the tank will be picked up by the waxy fuel and is now in the fuel filter. Your chances of a normal running engine are better with a new filter. Also top off the tank to get the fuel temp up and the anti freeze mixed-in

Changing the filter will only work if you prefill it, otherwise there is a good chance that it won't pull much "good" fuel. Probably need to fill the filter with PS.

Yes, change your fuel filter.
The 911 fuel additive should help.
We would add Kleen Flo diesel conditioner every 2nd fillup to manufacturers recos in the winter to keep fuel system working.
But our fuel is formulated for cold weather.
I would add to every fill in your case.
If your truck still won't start after filter change, it may need to be towed to a garage and thawed out. Had to do that a few times. Additives can only do so much if the fuel is badly gelled/frozen.

I think I have gelled diesel fuel in my truck. It started and went a couple of miles before the engine stopped. Put a white bottle of Power Service diesel additive in the tank and a red bottle of 911 Rescue. No change. Occasionally will start and idle for a few seconds then stop again. Do I need to change out the filter? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Looks like you're in Texas not Minnesota and assume it the 2018 Chevy. Find it hard to believe a late model diesel wouldn't have a fuel heater to prevent gelling at least down to 0 or less. Be that as it may, isn't all diesel this time of year winterized?

Looks like you're in Texas not Minnesota and assume it the 2018 Chevy. Find it hard to believe a late model diesel wouldn't have a fuel heater to prevent gelling at least down to 0 or less. Be that as it may, isn't all diesel this time of year winterized?
All diesel available here in Texas is #2. Unprecedented cold has me wishing we could get #1.

the fuel heater is located by the filter, but the fuel gels in the lines or the whole tank has gelled if parked outside.

If the region you are in hasn't seen much winter in recent years, fuel suppliers cut costs by less winterizing diesel fuel. Happens over and over.

I had a diesel VW Rabbit when I lived near Chicago and the place where I usually filled up assured me that they filled their tanks with diesel #1 about December. Well I refueled there in January and sure enough the temps dropped to sub zero one day at work and that afternoon my bown bunny would start but not get off of idle, frozen fuel filter.

Let them know that were still selling diesel #2. Wish I still had that car.

1613424645086.png

yes, but take caution with common rail pumps when adding kerosene
Probably throw a little 2-stroke oil in too then.

You may have issues finding non-dyed kerosene. Not sure how forgiving your gov't is in the current pickle.

Chance you can pull that filter inside to warm it up?

Change your filter and fill the new one with Howes diesel treat.

I run double the recommended dose of Howes in the winter here and have never had a problem with gelling.

Diesel fuel is winterized - for the location its sold in, and nothing more. The diesel sold in Texas will not have the same winter properties as diesel sold in Minnesota in January or February. It costs more to produce diesel intended for winter use, and most real winter diesel has lower energy content to boot, lowering fuel economy further. That's why the diesel from down south doesn't do well in cold weather. We see it all the time in trucks that come from warm weather locales and filled up there with no treatment or preventative, and well...

Yes to removing and replacing the fuel filter. You will need to refill the filter with non-gelled diesel and diesel 911 around a 50/50 mixture. Restart and allow to warm up. Best bet is get it in a heated shop to warm up. If you can't get it in inside, then creative tarping and a torpedo heater to heat the fuel and fuel lines back up. Yes, it is hazardous.

All of this is no fun, and big part of why I shy away from diesels anymore. We are lucky all of our equipment is indoor parked and heated.

Thought it was common sense to use antigel before temperatures drop.
Never trust a fuel station.
We'll just call it inexperience. Don't worry. It will be warm by March and the diesel vehicle will run again.

Yes, I would change out the fuel filter. I think you need to find a warm garage to thaw it out and then it will be fine, if there are no other electrical/mechanical issues. Once running, the 911additive should mix well and you'll be fine until your next fill up.

During winter, PRIOR to freezing weather, one should use a product with EVERY fuel fill up.

When not using an antigel winter product, use a lubricity/cleaning additive, at EVERY fillup. Biodiesel is a great additive for the warm months if you don't care for the above brands' non-winter products.

I would add-ALWAYS keep your fuel tanks as full as possible, as in refuel before you park it, even overnight. Otherwise moisture will condense, underneath the fuel in the tank, and possibly freeze in the lines or tank. Or form black fungus and also jam things up (grows at the fuel/water interface-no water=no or very little crud).

I had filled the tank the day before the cold front hit. The truck doesn’t fit in my garage, hence being outside. Never thought it would get cold enough to affect the fuel.... rookie mistake on my part....never have I seen these temps in West Texas.

This weekend calls for temps in 60’s so I will change filter then.

There is a product OTR truckers use called Rescue 911, that can recover gelled fuel. It’s discussed in another forum I follow. To use properly you need to remove the fuel filter and pour some over it then put the rest in the fuel tank. As the name implies it is for emergency use, not preventative maintenance.

Back