The cold weather has gelled my diesel fuel.

The Diesel 911 is way too harsh to use regularly. Most of the ones I read use Lucas, followed by PowerService. NAPA used to sell a concentrate. Some of the better ant-gel products were taken off the market a number of years ago.

When I fill my tractor I dump the fuel into a 5 gallon bucket and add anti-gel based on the appearance of the fuel. I have a submersible pump powered by a 12V car battery and it uses rubber fuel line I got from an industrial store it is flat like a ribbon until fuel flows through it. In a bucket you can see if it is cloudy. Also I use a special funnel called Mr. Funnel used by Alaskan bush pilots that has a permanent filter. It passes diesel fuel or gasoline but not water. That would not be practical fueling at a gas station but for a diesel tractor it is an ideal arrangement.

I remember my father back in the old days would add a gallon or two of regular gasoline in to the mix to help with the gelling.
Yes, and I remember the diesel Rabbit well. VW said to mix one gallon of regular gasoline in the tank to prevent gelling and to assist in starting the cold Rabbit.

Happened to me once in Colorado with my old 240D. Sudden cold snap. Summer fuel in the tank. Couldn’t keep it running after start. Gelled fuel.

A gallon of kerosene for each 3 gallons of diesel, mixed in the tank. Once that kerosene/diesel mix hit the injectors, the car ran great, though down just a bit on power.

The issue is the odd temps in the areas of the country where it does not happen normally. In the northeast the fuel is treated for the winter as cold temps are expected. But in areas where its not expected then the fuel is either not treated or not treated to the same extent it is in the northeast. I have switched to only using Mobil diesel and have not had an issue this winter. But I have in other winters when I was using diesel from other stations (not Mobil).

If you fill up with diesel in Florida and drive to Maine you are asking for trouble. But fill up in Maine and drive to FLorida and you would be fine.

The weather map shows a "V" of very cold weather with the bottom of the "V" in Texas.

If I was going to add something to prevent gelling it would be the white container of PowerService. If the fuel in my pickup was gelled I would just wait for a warmer day.

All diesel available here in Texas is #2. Unprecedented cold has me wishing we could get #1.
Yep. The boys at the Odessa bulk terminal weren’t taking on #1. The fuel filter is where it’s plugging. Check out ASTM D4539 Low-Temperature Operability Test.

2921BB09-1486-4D10-A613-B84EBB38D7E1.png

Last edited:
If the lines and filter are that plugged up from being frozen how does adding something to the tank unfreeze it if it can't flow? Won't it just sit in the tank?
Good point. It’s too gelled to make it through the filter most likely. Maybe if it was -40 I could think it could gel in the lines, but the temps were nothing close to that. Changing the filter is required.

Last edited:
Changing the filter will only work if you prefill it, otherwise there is a good chance that it won't pull much "good" fuel. Probably need to fill the filter with PS.
Maybe, but the fuel pump is in the tank, so it will be pushing fuel through the filter. Right idea though. I think pre-filling with a little warm diesel with antigel is the ticket if pre-filling. :) The tank is already dosed with anti-gel.

Last edited:
Good point. It’s too gelled to make it through the filter most likely. Maybe if it was -40 I could think it could gel in the lines, but the temps were nothing close to that. Changing the filter is required.

Keep in mind that diesel fuel filters don't use a 17 micron screen, they seem to filter down to just a few micron similar to bypass oil filters. Any waxing in the tank or lines is enough to clog a used filter that will have even smaller pores.

*****UPDATE*****
Hooked up an extension cord to the block heater for about 48 hours. After changing the filter cranked on it for a bit. Fired up and sputtered for a few moments then settled into a normal idle. Filter didn’t look as bad as I expected. Drove around neighborhood for a while. Check engine light still on but hope it will reset on it’s own.

Rookie mistake has been an education and now hope to never repeat.

Back