The Buick's trunk needed rescuing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this goes under detailing or repairs. The other morning, having noticed dampness and an odd orange stain on the carpeting in the Buick's trunk, I found several inches of water in the spare tire well! Usually I only check the air in the spare once a year, or before a trip, so this had occurred since last year.

Using a turkey baster, I sucked most of it out, then stuffed an old towel down around the spare and took the car to a well-respected detail shop that advertises "Water Restoration." They cleaned and dried everything beautifully. (They also brought me to the local mall and picked me up afterward so I didn't have to sit in their poorly-cooled office.) All for $45.

The technician said he saw some little rust spots in the upper lip of the trunk, below the back glass. The rubber gasket is fine, intact and pliable, but apparently some rust has started back where it's had to see.

He suggested using some caulking to waterproof it for the future. Would that work?

It may stink for a month or 2 but i find paintable bitsumen works best in preventing the rust in car boots, also prevent water retension if leak source was not found.

The Neon let water in from behind the tail lights somehow. Someone had gooped caulking around the base of the rear window so maybe it leaked from there at one time as well?

Have someone climb into the trunk with a flashlight while someone else sprays the car down with the hose. Usually the rubber molding on the back of the trunk (highest point).

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Have someone climb into the trunk with a flashlight while someone else sprays the car down with the hose. Usually the rubber molding on the back of the trunk (highest point).

If that's it, it must be a very tiny, very slow leak. When I washed the car on Saturday, I couldn't see anything dripping onto the rubber floor mat I keep in the trunk to protect the carpeting.

Some trunks, Ford Taurus comes to mind, have holes pre drilled and filled with a rubber plug. If the plug deteriorates it lets water in from the bottom. Check yours thoroughly for plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back