Trunk Leak on '99 Camry

I've posted the following on ToyotaNation, and maybe I have not given it enough time, but I find TN not too responsive on subject matter concerning cars as old as my '99. Can I give it a try here?

I'm having some trouble finding out why my '99 Camry four-door has a water leak into the trunk. The two graphics show where the drips start-from, and where the water accumulates, but the difficulty I'm having is WHERE exactly the water gets-in to the car.

I have ruled out the tail lamps. I have ruled out the bolt evident in the first photograph. I 'kinda think it may be a lap-seam which is seam-sealed is leaking due to that elastomer losing its rubber-like / sealing properties. I think it may be on the lip where the trunk seal is affixed-to, and I'm not sure how far up... but possibly in the vertical area of this lip.

I made a half-hearted attempt to use some silicone sealant to try to add to the sealing properties of the trunk lip seam... but it is only a half-hearted attempt. Still a problem.

Can anyone please pipe-up, as to whether this is a common 4th Generation Camry issue, and where the likely leakage point is? It is creating a pool of water in the trunk, mostly behind the right wheel, but also in the spare tire well. Mold is starting in the car, in wintertime.

Please help!

Attachments

• Lap Seam Leakage Point.jpg
    Lap Seam Leakage Point.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Where Water Due to the Leak Accumulates.jpg
    Where Water Due to the Leak Accumulates.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20210307_003212653.jpg
    PXL_20210307_003212653.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 60
Maybe the water is coming in through that piece in the third picture above the bumper cover. I would use some clear caulking for Windows and flashing on it and see if that keeps it dry.

Maybe the water is coming in through that piece in the third picture above the bumper cover. I would use some clear caulking for Windows and flashing on it and see if that keeps it dry.
I will look, again, at how it is sealed. If dodgy, I will take the action you suggest with the Clear.

Thank you!

Reactions: JC1
Leaking tail lamp housing seals are a common problem on these cars when they get old. I have had it happen on a couple of different Toyotas.

You missed a common leak spot in that area on these cars which is a vent flap thing. It's near the tail light. It's been discussed before in the forum where you posted this question:
https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/trunk-leak-on-fourth-generation-camry-99-camry-ce.1704306/

I just don't know what the part was called. It kinds of looks like louvers and on mine one of the flaps came off and I fixed it with flex tape. Think of it as something that lets the air out when you slam the door.

Reactions: JC1
Back