The best way to remove rust from a fire arm

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 870 remington youth .20 gauge. and it had been in humidity and i had some spots of rust on it. and what i did was take some regular gun cleaner and put it on there and it came right off in about 5 minutes, and it looks as good as new now, so if u have any rust on a gun thats what you should do..
ooo.gif

I had the same thing happen to my Rem.Youth model .20 gauge.My brother in law used it one day deer hunting with the slug barrel and the thing looked like it was sitting in salt water all month...rust everywhere!I was shocked due to the fact I keep all my firearms well lubed against bad weather.I think somebody screwed up at the factory while the coatings were applied on certain models/serial numbers.

I learned a trick back in my youth that I have used ever since. Fine steel wool will remove the rust spots and not harm the blueing. Have used this trick for over 40 years and works every time.

I agree with cowpie1, use 0000 steel wool with oil. If it is really pitted and takes the bluing off...what I do is use 1000 grit (wet/dry)sandpaper, degrease throughly(brake cleaner or gun degreaser), use a good cold blue (Brownell's), warm up the barrel (hair dryer), apply the cold blue with a non-coated cloth (free of oil, etc). Use 0000 steel wool, polish keep applying til the color matches and oil. Take your time. This works good for small areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back