The best example of a Standing Lenticular I've photographed

wwillson

Staff member
I left the area we are staying about 7:30 this morning. My view is obstructed by trees and when I turn onto the road, this standing lenticular came into full view. This is the most outstanding example I've seen or photographed. It was -16°F this morning with a high of 6°F today, had it been warmer, I would have shot a several hours long series of photos and made a 4K time lapse. The lenticular was there all day, just not as spectacular was it was for a few hours this morning.

Long's Peak (14,259′) was forcing air up and caused the cloud.

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

Last edited:
Lenticular clouds form frequently above San Francisco Bay due to the wind blowing across the coastal range, pushing air up and pulling air down.

Nice. And yes, as @Cujet says, "lenny" clouds are a big red "stay away" sign for pilots (unless you're a skilled glider pilot). Lennies form as strong winds of moist air are forced upward (often due to a mountain), cooling that moist air, causing the moisture to condense.

I left the area we are staying about 7:30 this morning. My view is obstructed by trees and when I turn onto the road, this standing lenticular came into full view. This is the most outstanding example I've seen or photographed. It was -16°F this morning with a high of 6°F today, had it been warmer, I would have shot a several hours long series of photos and made a 4K time lapse. The lenticular was there all day, just not as spectacular was it was for a few hours this morning.

Long's Peak (14,259′) was forcing air up and caused the cloud.

View attachment 132191

View attachment 132192
Wow, beautiful. So it was essentially static, you could have stood in one place for a long time and it would have remained mostly in one position?

Wow, beautiful. So it was essentially static, you could have stood in one place for a long time and it would have remained mostly in one position?
Yes, the lenticular was there all day. It appears to just stay in one place, but the winds at that altitude may have been blowing 100MPH. The cloud essentially gets 'recycled' every few minutes.

Back