The BEEF on sm engine oil.....TRUE COMMERCIAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what you said about 5=6 posts up:

"True, but kohler orginaaly specd the command as sae30 then changed it to 10w30"

I'm having a hard time making it out, but it appears you are saying that Kohler originally spec'd the Command to use SAE-30.

orginally is the KEY WORD!!! I clearly stated the commands cant oil fast enough to the valves!! you just want to argue!! argue this.......show me a sm engine that specs/states/etc 15w40, argue youre point here rather than pick out small [censored]

I'm not arguing ... I was asking for clarification (and theorized old Commands may have had solid lifters).

However, your typing skills require clarification of the clarifications, making the processed much more involved than it should be.

Oh, and this is NOT about 15W-40. Get over it already.
smirk.gif

same to ya pal!! you have proved no argument other than i cant spell, but atleast i can read!!! and reading my manual shows me that 15w40 isnt written there, as usaual, youve proved nothing!!

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
I'm not arguing ... I was asking for clarification (and theorized old Commands may have had solid lifters).

However, your typing skills require clarification of the clarifications, making the processed much more involved than it should be.

Oh, and this is NOT about 15W-40. Get over it already.
smirk.gif

dont you have a post going about sae15? hey theres some intelligent posts going in the pcmo section, beware they arent talking about ford 8n's so becareful

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
granted a multi grade will do wonders in a kohler command as it cant oil to the valves fast enough!! but as to all others, id say sae30 works great! unless a snow blower, then 5/10 w 30, all else purposes a waste, unless our water pump poster proves anything

heres my post, now argue!!!!!

True, but kohler orginaaly specd the command as sae30 then changed it to 10w30

Here is what you posted. This is what he asked about. Can you please explain what you mean by this.

Thanks flatlandtacoma, I was thinking a 3rd party translator was needed.

What was the oil that was originally spec'd for this engine ... 10W-30 (as stated in the service bulletin posted) or SAE30 which was posted in this thread?

Bror, according to this mechanic (Brian) at this site, Kohler recommended THREE grades for the early generation Commands: http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75835

attachment.php

So.....it looks like if you go "by the book", if you have an early Command (1980's) you can use 3 grades of oil, on "later models" only 10w30, and now (with the tech bulletin) you can use 2 grades. Now I am really confused.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: flatlandtacoma
True, but kohler orginaaly specd the command as sae30 then changed it to 10w30

Here is what you posted. This is what he asked about. Can you please explain what you mean by this.

Kohler originaly speced sae30 in the command series, then upon multi valve train issues, then changed to 10w30 spec

"Kohler originaly speced sae30 in the command series, then upon multi valve train issues, then changed to 10w30 spec"

The Kohler service bulletin says just the opposite.

im not saying your wrong, but our kohler rep told us to quit using/selling sae30 on commands and go 10w30, reason....valve train issues

tell ya what i put in my lawn mower. its drip oil, ya know that little bit thats left in the bottle, i drain it into a larger container and collect it. i do alot of oil changes for my neighbors and other folks so its got everything in there, 5/20, 5/30, 10/40, conv, syn,pennz, valv, castrol, 80/90, atf... you name it and its in there.
MULTI GRADE!! good enough for a lawn mower

Originally Posted By: electrolover
tell ya what i put in my lawn mower. its drip oil, ya know that little bit thats left in the bottle, i drain it into a larger container and collect it. i do alot of oil changes for my neighbors and other folks so its got everything in there, 5/20, 5/30, 10/40, conv, syn,pennz, valv, castrol, 80/90, atf... you name it and its in there.
MULTI GRADE!! good enough for a lawn mower

I wouldn't doubt that there are more than a few mowers that get the same oil treatment. I do the same thing on my 30+ year old Tecumseh 3.5 h.p. Eager engine. It's happy with whatever I put in it and with more than 30 years of hard service, it's living proof that lawn mower engines don't need anything special for oil.

boraticus, my point all along has been no need for expensive syns etc, just a good stout 30 weight, cheap and readily avalible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back